StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so here's the deal. Finally got my wiring maze straightened out and thought I finally had heated grips. Symtec grip heaters by the way. Throttle side heats up like a charm. Clutch side is cold on both Hi and Lo settings. I am leaning towards a bad ground wire in the harness part of the grip heater, possibly a broken or pinched wire during manufacture. Before I start tearing the left side apart has anyone had a similar problem. Any hints or suggestions would be a bonus. I am so close to having everything done on the to-do list. Thanks in advance.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It depends on your present wiring what would be easiest to do. One thing is to check if the wires from the bad grip have resistance. If you don't have a volt-ohm meter, you can even take the two wires from the grip and see if you can get a spark touching the terminals of a nine volt battery with each wire.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greywolf, if I had been real smart I would have tested the heating elements before installation. My bad of course. But of course I am just being human and trusting that all is well with a new product in a package. Oh well, what else do I have to do this time of night. Down to the Bat Cave.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, so here's the deal. I AM DONE.........Finished !!! Spent the night in the Bat Cave just doing what I should have done first time round. Undid all the wire connectors and replaced them carefully just to make sure they were all good. Tested each heating element with a fused wire from the battery. Hi/Lo work on both sides although the left side takes much longer b/cause of the heat sink effect of the bar. Probably won't be as warm overall but I can live with that.
On a roll now. Getter done, head for the handguards and strangely enough I had a break through. They are on too. Have one washer left over but according to the instructions everything is where it should be. Leaving well enough alone. I might have attracted a spare washer from my junk bin. Did some adjusting on the mirrors since I put the 2 inch extensions a little while ago. The stem or arms where so tight I though something was going to break.
Now I can ride and test everything out for real under real conditions. None of this Bat Cave stuff for a while hopefully. Time for sleep. Good Night.

P.S. Thanks for putting up with my whining and sniveling, it's one of the only things I am good at doing.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heavy, were you waiting for me to finish ?? I know it is later in the morning for you but really............Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
P.S. Thanks for putting up with my whining and sniveling, it's one of the only things I am good at doing.
Never underestimate the power of whining and sniveling. It's a hell of a lot of fun, just like grousing, which is my favorite method! :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
4,406 Posts
Heavy, were you waiting for me to finish ?? I know it is later in the morning for you but really............Thanks.
Actually, you are my morning motivation....I'm just about the head out to the (very well lit, unlike the BatCave) garage to begin preparing my Strom for the coming season.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mr Fisherman, maybe I will check out the pot holes on the Sea to Sky highway. Last week the construction crew had an oops and made large craters in the road with cage size rocks. My neighbor was one of the guys who worked all night to make the road passable and safe.

·
38,048 Posts
You know what they say about water and electricity. First of all, I'm glad you're safe. ;)

·
Registered
249 Posts
'official' grips

Hi all.

I just had my heated grips fitted to my new '07 DL1000, and noticed that the left one runs colder too. Why does the left bar have a greater heat sink effect? Is it because it isn't fitted to a twist grip which may act as an insulator?

Forgive me for my complete lack of technical know how!!!:rolleyes:

·
38,048 Posts
Yup. The left grip is on a steel bar. The right grip is on a plastic throttle tube. Better designs like Hotgrips brand heat all the way around and have the heating element insulated from the bar.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Tailgunner, gotta agree. The heated grips are really a wonderful addition. Was out today for a short ride to check things out and varied the grips off and on with the new handguards and was very pleased overall. Tried a couple different gloves too. The shorter armoured gloves still allow for a cold spot on my wrists but gauntlets make everything just toasty as can be.

·
Registered
22,233 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts