StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using heated gloves without a heated jacket? If so, how did you route the wires?

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
that really doesn't make much sense. Heating your core is much more effective that heating your extremities.

you will be much warmer with a heated vest than with heated gloves, if you had to choose one or the other.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
I would also like to know someones actual opinion on just using heated gloves and how they did it, as I've been considering this also. I dress for the weather ( non heated clothing) and my core is toasty warm and my friggin hands still froze, so the OPs question makes perfect sense.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
that really doesn't make much sense. Heating your core is much more effective that heating your extremities.

you will be much warmer with a heated vest than with heated gloves, if you had to choose one or the other.
I rode today at 32 degree temp for an hour. I was fairly comfortable except for my fingers which started to go numb.

·
Registered
2,993 Posts
I use heated leather gloves. Power wire is connected straight to the battery. The plug (female part) comes out on the left side of the seat. One end (male plug), that connects to power plug hanging below my jacket , on the back of it . Then it goes up between jacket liner and the jacket itself end splits to LH and RH sleeves (to connect to gloves). RH end also have 3 step temp. controller attached to the wire, which after connecting gloves you can place in small pocket on the top of the RH glove. Allows you to change settings when riding...

·
Registered
812 Posts

+1

Keeping your core warm will lower the temps that you can comfortably ride in.

For what it's worth, I use W&S Carbon heated gloves. I could layer properly and use just the gloves, but I choose to layer less and wear a heated jacket liner. This way I don't look or feel like the Michelin man.

My $.02

·
Banned
1,933 Posts
I rode today at 32 degree temp for an hour. I was fairly comfortable except for my fingers which started to go numb.
the reason why your extremities are cold is because your body stopped pumping as much blood to the extremities in an effort to keep your core warm.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I have jacket and gloves. Many times I don't turn on the jacket because my core it toasty warm ( read that sweating my ass off) but the wind chill on my hands is annoying and distracting so I run just my gloves.

Warm and safe offers a y cable to run up your sleeves to the gloves if you don't want to use a jacket.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ride all year here and have never felt the need for anything other than heated gloves and a heated balaclava.

It was 15 degrees today and my hands and eyes/forehead were the only areas that needed heat.

Does anyone even make a heated balaclava?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts

Perhaps, but it doesn't keep my hands from getting cold, which is why I've also been considering heated gloves (heated grips, even with hand guards, don't seem to quite do it for me).

·
Registered
812 Posts
Also, handguards help by keeping the wind off your hands.

It doesn't really get that cold down here in the south. I see a lot of people here use handguards and heated grips. However, back to my preference for not wearing bulky gear...my heated gloves are not as bulky as my non-heated winter gloves.

I have the OEM handguards, but I'm saving my money for a pair of BarkBusters.

·
Premium Member
1,929 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the input guys. I do have the Suzuki hand guards and they help a little but they protect the tops of your hands more than your fingertips and thumbs. I might have to rig an extra guard for the bottom. I understand keeping your core warm helps with overall warmth but extremities are always the hardest to maintain.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the Gerbings gloves and heated liner. I also ride year round in Oregon. The heated gear is way less bulky than multiple layers. The heated gloves feel wonderful. If wearing the gloves alone Gerbings gives you a Y plug in that is long enough to run up your jacket sleeves and still plug in at you waist. If worn with jacket liner you plug the gloves into the sleeves. My combo for winter riding is a Aerostich two piece Roadcrafter and Gerbings. Gets you through anything.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
Those that are saying all you need to do is keep your core warm, obviously haven't ridden for any period of time in temps below 20F. Your fingers are going to get cold no matter how warm your core is, unless you can keep them out of the wind (Hippo Hands?), or have a heated source to help.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Those that are saying all you need to do is keep your core warm, obviously haven't ridden for any period of time in temps below 20F. Your fingers are going to get cold no matter how warm your core is, unless you can keep them out of the wind (Hippo Hands?), or have a heated source to help.
:iagree:

SPecially if like me you have Raynaud's phenomenon.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yes, this is exactly what I've found. I'm in my mid-30s and my core stays quite warm in a TPG jacket, but an hour in the cold even with handguards still leaves my hands cold and stiff. So, I use heated electric glove liners and route the wiring through the sleeves. It takes up a very small amount of power but does the job pretty well. I suppose it's inconvenient compared to heated grips but I don't need them too often.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Heated Gloves

I use Tourmaster HG and I have heated grips. Don't have heated vest or jacket but have been thinking about because Rashnak and others are correct about the core cooling. On 12.24 I rode about 90 minutes to a point and rode back and on the trip back, my core finally was cooling off. At that I turned both gloves and grips temps up because hands were cold. The heat goes out of your hands by conduction or radiation. You'd think both can be controlled and maybe so. But, you can't do it with less blood supply. My cold hands ache and hurt. I have tried everything including putting space blanket pieces inside Tourmaster unheated gloves thinking reflecting back the infared would help. It didn't. I went to Outdoor Research in Seattle to ask about space blanket and they don't use it, they just use more and more insulation. With Tourmaster, the 3 stage controller fits in a sleeve on the right glove and it's fairly easy to adjust on the fly with gloves on. The gloves come with a pig tail so you can use TM vest with the same controller (but note the above comment about the vest getting too warm). The TM is less expensive than Gerbings because you don't need a separate controller at extra cost. The Seattle area sports humidity in the winter of 100 % on our many foggy days and water is a really great conductor of heat. So, unless it is 60 degrees or more, I never leave home without my heated gloves and thankfully I can't leave home without my heated grips. It's an easy install.

·
Registered
423 Posts
:iagree:

SPecially if like me you have Raynaud's phenomenon.
Raynaud's is no joke. I've only known one person with a bona fide case of it, and it is serious stuff to deal with. Hope yours doesn't give you too much of a problem...and, yep, you'll 100% need heated gloves.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Please explain this to my numb fingers.

Tonight, even with my heated jacket on high, heated grips on high, winter gloves and handguards at 50 mph in twenty minutes at 35 deg. F. my fingers were starting to get tingly.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts