StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

I'm looking at investing into some good heated gear to extend my season up here.

the stuff from FirstGear has got my interest. They have a full set of pieces that work together, so I can extend from a basic vest.

any pros/cons? anyone use it? any other brands I should be looking at?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,471 Posts
I use Gerbings gear. I have the jacket, gloves, pants. Wouldn't be without heated gear. Mine is the previous generation and I use it with a single controller. Very satisfied.

There may be a couple other brands that are good quality, but do your research before choosing. This stuff can last MANY years, cost shouldn't be your deciding factor. If you buy something that doesn't do the job properly it is money wasted.

If I can give one piece of advice: Don't buy a vest! Buy the jacket. Your arms are typically in the wind more than the torso. You will have to crank up the vest to the point it may have hot spots while trying to keep your arms warm. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have the gerbings jacket and love it. The PO gave it and the dual controller to me with the bike. I would freeze or have on slot of layers without it.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
I also have a First Gear jacket and love it. If it dies I'll get another just like it.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your feedback so far.

i'm heading down to Philly this weekend and might see if I can find anything on sale on the way down

·
Premium Member
696 Posts
Another Warm N Safe fan. I didn't like where the power connector is on the Gerbing.

+1 for getting the jacket liner, not just a vest.

·
Registered
349 Posts
StormRider Heated Clothing Controller | EXO2 The Heat Inside

I highly recommend this controller. When I had an inline controller on the power cord, it was difficult and distracting to set the temp I wanted. Could easily have caused an accident. Having a digital controller on your left handlebar is a huge step up.

Agree that a jacket liner is far superior to a vest, especially since the Strom leaves your arms in the breeze.

Another issue that folks may disagree about is how tight the heated jacket liner should fit your torso. I had one that was deliberately snug on the theory that I would need less power, something that the Strom does not have a lot of.

Using the digital controller, I find that I really don't need a lot of power anyway so that isn't an issue. The snug jacket liner became uncomfortable after an hour or two and I couldn't wait to take it off. I recently got one a size larger and it is far more comfortable to wear on long rides.

If anyone wants to buy my old Gerbing jacket liner and/or the inline dual controller, let me know. I think the size is 44 with regular length sleeves.

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Now that Tour Master has worked out their controller issues I'm very satisfied with my Synergy heated vest and gloves. They did have problems 2 or 3 years ago, but they always replaced my faulty controllers under warranty. Have not had any issues after the last replacement and they've worked great ever since.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Gerbing microwire. Full jacket liner, gloves also. Their customer service has been great for me. Controller mounted on the little piece of plastic in front of the gas tank on the strom. Ahhhhh......:thumbup:

·
Registered
780 Posts
Synergy....look on ebay. Good product for the money. If it's 30-40 outside(It's still pretty warm here in Texas) my wife has her vest on on low.
When you buy electric stuff figure the cost of a good controller or controllers.
All my BMW buddies have seat and hand warmers. There is nothing better on a freezing day than a RT with electrical stuff.... except a FJR, Concours, GL or a Roadglide with electrical stuff.
There is nothing better than a beautiful, cold winter day in the 30's.

Les

·
Registered
255 Posts
Gerbings jacket liner and gloves. Dual controller mounted in my powered Bags-Connection tank bag. As others here can likely attest, I have found that the heated jacket works best over a Nike Dri-Fit or equivalent long sleeve shirt. Less so for me when tried with a regular tee or other shirt.

·
Registered
22,342 Posts
I put a lot of winter miles on. my first heated gear was an Eclipse vest, after 50,000 miles of use, it was worn out, I repaired electrical connections a couple times, replaced it with a Gerbings jacket liner, wore that out too, now I have a First Gear (Warm n Safe) 90w jacket liner. Gerbings gloves, Suzuki heated grips, thinkin of not using the gloves this winter and going with Hippo Hands

if the V-strom had a little more electrical power, I'd wire my own jacket liner, I'd like to have about 150watts of heat for extreme cold all day riding, Paul Mondor is my hero

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
522 Posts
I am very happy with my Tourmaster Synergy. The only possible drawback with it that I can see is that the controller cable on the jacket isn't very long. So it is easier to use on a 2 piece suit rather than a one piece.

One very nice thing about the Synergy is that the price INCLUDES the controller, unlike the other brands I looked it.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
I'm happy with my Synergy jacket...it's going on 3 years and was well worth the low price. Works great, will roast me at 20 degrees if I turn it all the way up...so it's not limited for my uses. The controller's kind of kludgy, but eh....it's not like I fuss with it...turn it on, forget it.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
My Tourmaster vest is usually too warm. I have to keep switching it on low & off.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
I use an Aerostich brand vest. Incredible quality. It has a nifty visual LED indicator on the cord, that tells you if you have a connection or not. Heats up fast, and the heated high-collar keeps your neck warm. I don't have a controller, but the vest fits nice and keeps me warm on frosty Michigan mornings. It was my first electric gear purchase, and I'm very happy with it.

Aerostich had a great "buy two at this price" deal on it at the time, so I talked my buddy into getting one also, so we could exploit the deal. I definitely can see myself buying the pants too in the future [$$$].

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Nic, if you're heading south via Niagara, stop into Dualsportplus in Stoney Creek on the way by. Their non-advertised prices on Tourmaster heated gear are excellent, and they're decent folks.

I've just received a Tourmaster heated jacket from them, but haven't actually made it out for a ride with it on yet. Perhaps the biggest selling feature on the Tourmaster is that it comes with a temperature controller and doesn't require you to shell out an extra $75 or so to get more than an on/off switch.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks KZ.

however I like the idea of a liner, which I can switch to other jackets and gear if i choose !

1 - 20 of 50 Posts