StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched back ten pages and didn't see an answer.

It seems like my Gerbing dual controllers only last about two years, and they are kind of expensive. My question; is there a way to wire an on/off switch, and a 3 or preferably 4 position toggle to control the heated hear?

I have a vest, gloves, and heated grips, ideally I would like all three on the above setup.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
738 Posts
I searched back ten pages and didn't see an answer.

It seems like my Gerbing dual controllers only last about two years, and they are kind of expensive. My question; is there a way to wire an on/off switch, and a 3 or preferably 4 position toggle to control the heated hear?

I have a vest, gloves, and heated grips, ideally I would like all three on the above setup.

Thanks for any help!
The heat controllers use varying pulse width relative to cycle time (aka "duty factor") to control the average voltage applied to the gear heating elements. A mere switch, no matter how trickily wired, cannot do that. Conceivably, you could wire different power resistors (or combinations thereof) in series with the elements at different switch positions, but that would waste power and you would have to find a safe place to mount the hot resistors.

I think your best bet is to find a more reliable controller. I have to wonder why the one you've had end up dying. It should be easy for a competent electrical engineer to make something like that reliable.

·
Registered
90 Posts
If price is the issue buy a 20 amp PWM DC controller off eBay. The ones intended for model railroad use are fairly cheap, ~ 25. They can be made waterproof by spraying with conformal coating, or by potting with hot glue. I've used (permently mounted) 4 on four different bikes. Works good. Lasts a long time.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14,236 Posts
I saw some post back a while that folks were using controllers from model aircraft? Some weird thing like that. It allowed some modicum of control for less than Mr Gerbing.
HaVE YOU DONE A SEARCH FOR HEAT CONTROLLER on the net?

·
Registered
90 Posts
The best eBay controllers for the purpose are a circuit board with a potentiometer attached by a pigtail. You can connect the board to the desired connectors, water proof it, and permanently mount it out of the way. Then lengthen the pigtail to mount the control pot knob conveniently.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts