StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Straight from Suzuki:
•A radiator with a more compact core, flanked by wind-directing plates shaped with holes* for enhancing cooling efficiency, allows hot radiator air to flow out to the side air outlets and away from the rider's legs. (*Patent pending.)

I wouldn't have bothered with the patent process.

Am I the only one that has noticed a LOT of heat from the engine area? Especially at lower speeds ( 20-50mph ) but even at 65+ there is a lot of heat. I have been setting the heel of my boot on the edge of the pegs and pidgeon toeing to get fresh cool air. I rode the other V Stroms we have and I really don't notice heat. Same gear, same temp, etc. So where is the "improvement"? Hit 93 in Houston yesterday, probably won't see below 90 for months. I will start designing an air deflector to mount to my engine guard to eliminate the problem. But really, why promote an improvement that is....not there?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Never noticed heat

It can get pretty warm here in Montpellier, and even on recent rides in the 80's and 90's I've never noticed unpleasant heat from the engine. Maybe it's there and I just don't find it unpleasant? Will pay attention as summer gets here.

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a pm wondering if I had the factory under cowl installed. No. But it should be here tomorrow and I'll see if it makes it better or worse.

If I didn't have two Gen I V-Stroms here at the house it might be harder to complain. But when the '12 is supposed to have been improved...and it puts out noticeably more heat than the Gen I's I feel compelled to complain. Even when it was in the mid-80's here the heat was very noticeable. I have ridden the Vee in 100+ temps and never noticed engine heat to concentrate on my legs. Not just one side, both sides. I'll fix it, just wondered if others have noticed it yet.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I have zero heat issues from my 2012. In fact, it seems better than most bikes I have ridden. Try riding a BMW airhead or an ST1300 and you will think the new Wee comes with A/C. I must say that in my area, it hasn't been too warm yet and my temp gauge never moves from 3 bars.

·
Registered
152 Posts
No heat issues.

but live in the midwest..

when it hit 80 the other day it was fine. No 90 degree days yet.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
I've had a couple of days in the high 80s and haven't noticed anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I noticed a little heat, but compared to my KLR and my old model kawasaki concours, i would say their is no more or less heat. We are sitting on top of an engine afterall.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
It feels about the same to me as the old one so far, but it hasn't been really hot yet either, just low to mid 90's. I can give you a better review once it gets over 100F shouldn't be long now! I usually wear mesh pants with shorts underneath. I notice it in city traffic mostly. It is still better than most bikes in this area. I complained about the old one too, and everyone here, thought I was nuts. LOL!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Louisiana here. I have noticed some heat on my legs expecially now that temperatures are almost 100 degrees. I do the same thing you do and move my legs out every now and then to cool them off which tells me the ambient air is much cooler than that around my motor (duh). It does seem substantial, but I have no point of reference since this is my first motorcycle and therefore first V-strom...

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It feels about the same to me as the old one so far, but it hasn't been really hot yet either, just low to mid 90's. I can give you a better review once it gets over 100F shouldn't be long now! I usually wear mesh pants with shorts underneath. I notice it in city traffic mostly. It is still better than most bikes in this area. I complained about the old one too, and everyone here, thought I was nuts. LOL!
At least someone notices it where I notice it most-in city traffic. And that may be the difference that others who have posted don't have the same experience with. I ride in HEAVY traffic, stop and go, then 40 mph, etc. quite a bit. I really notice it there, and like one post said it becomes obvious when you stick your legs out into the airstream how much heat is coming from the engine.

Not saying the heat is as bad as some bikes, I am saying it is quite a bit more than I notice on the Gen I V Strom and way more than I get on the Beemer, etc.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
Try a Honda CX500. I had to use leathers in the summer to keep my shins from cooking.

·
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Try a Honda CX500. I had to use leathers in the summer to keep my shins from cooking.
I had a '78 CX 500 ( standard ), it is one of my all time favorite bikes. Don't remember the heat problem, but in WV at the time and working evening shift I probably wanted all the heat I could get off the engine!

1 - 20 of 102 Posts