StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a slow speed class yesterday. During the ride as slow as you can for 24 feet target 24 seconds test, I would occasionally hear a really loud sloshing sound coming from under the engine. It seemed only to happen if I was slow speed riding with the engine above 4500 RPM w/ clutch partially engaged. I don't normally hear that sound but I would normally be going faster with earplugs in and in gear. It was very distinct. I'm running 20w50 and I think it was just the oil going crazy. Wet clutch not fully engaged with high RPM = sloshing oil?

·
Registered
392 Posts
sloshing

Oil's too thick and there's not enough in the sump anyway with the engine running for it to make any noise going side to side. Most of the oil you put in the bike is circulating thru the engine, very little left in the sump when it's running, might be a quart, usually less. You probably heard the gas in the tank. Noises on bikes routinely sound like they are coming from somewhere else.

Bill H.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Should be running 10w40, no? And maybe you shouldnt be revving to 4500rpm while your trying to ride at 1ft per second

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought of gas but it I don't think I was doing anything to make it slosh. The sound is more mechanical and hard to describe. Kind of like vigorously stirring paint in a paint can and hitting the sides of the can with the paint stir, about 3 stirs per second. If nobody has heard it, I might make a video of it.

Phildo, there are many acceptable oil viscosities listed in your owners manual. A higher RPM at slow speeds can equal more stability.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Fuel pump? It's pretty loud.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
I thought of gas but it I don't think I was doing anything to make it slosh. The sound is more mechanical and hard to describe. Kind of like vigorously stirring paint in a paint can and hitting the sides of the can with the paint stir, about 3 stirs per second. If nobody has heard it, I might make a video of it.

Phildo, there are many acceptable oil viscosities listed in your owners manual. A higher RPM at slow speeds can equal more stability.
How old/tired is your chain? I don't suppose you could be hearing a stiff link or two coming off the CS? Could it be slight pre-detonation?

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Ok, this is a weird question, but if you're riding at one foot per second, why are you running your engine at 4500rpm?

Clutch slip is fine and necessary, but why run the engine 3,000 rpm higher than where it needs to be?

I guess you don't like your clutch much; you can kill it faster by doing it in 6th gear...

I don't know what the sound is, sorry; I do hwever think that 20w50 is too thick for the strom.

·
Registered
808 Posts
I have the same question about 4500rpm at 1fps. When I'm going at really slow speeds I just slip the clutch at idle with no throttle input at all.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have witnessed many a slow race won by a person revving the heck out of the motor and slipping the clutch. Believe it or not it can add stability. Try it, you'll see.

BTW I am running 15-50 oil. Couldn't find 20w-50. It is fine as per my manual. Heat index has been over a 100 for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was experimenting with different RPMs to see if I could notice a difference in stability. I definitely like 3K better because I don't seem to ever get the sloshing noise. Like Mike92 said, lots of slow races are won when high RPMs are involved. I just didn't know what the noise was. I don't think it started right away. The goal was 1 foot a second but I didn't get that slow.

Rconti,, Slow speed riding does require throttle as you need to use the rear brake at the same time. If I am just doodling from one parking spot to the next, I'll do that too but slow speed riding, both feet up is a nice technique to master.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts