StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just bought one of these (they include maps of Canada and US)... seems like a great deal..., I guess we'll see... Anyway, thought I would pass it on to you guys... Hope it's ok to post an eBay link...

**** Note**** I can't post the link, but go to fleabay and paste this...
3.5 inch Touch screen Motorcycle snowmobile waterproof GPS navigator w/ maps

edited by admin: no ebay links per the rules...

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
Does that include all the snow trails and frozen rivers? I hope it has a melt alert so you don't Ski Doo over a thawing falls.
Who'd a thunk a snowmobile GPS would have urban info.....:green_lol:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is not a specific snowmobile GPS, it however can be used on a sled... It comes with road maps of Canada and the US... Highly doubt it has a topo map for use on the trails....

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Just bought one of these (they include maps of Canada and US)... seems like a great deal..., I guess we'll see... Anyway, thought I would pass it on to you guys... Hope it's ok to post an eBay link...

edited by admin: no ebay links per the rules...
Any particular brand or model?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
Wow, $113 for a waterproof GPS? That's a hell of a deal!

Have you gotten yours yet and tried it out? If so, what do you think of it? I wonder if any of the Twisted Throttle handlebar mounts will work for it, or if the mount that comes with it will connect to my RAM carrier.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, $113 for a waterproof GPS? That's a hell of a deal!

Have you gotten yours yet and tried it out? If so, what do you think of it? I wonder if any of the Twisted Throttle handlebar mounts will work for it, or if the mount that comes with it will connect to my RAM carrier.
Just bought it today... Should get it in about a week or so... Let you guys know if it is any good...

Cheers

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I just bought one. If nothing else it can be a backup to the 2610.

Thanks for the tip; that's really an excellent price! BTW: at the Shark site they're selling them for $159; so the ebay deal is even better.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just Googed "Snowmobile GPS" ans it popped up, no sweat.
Yes you're absolutely right, it is only for a snowmobile... not like the company is trying to create a broader appeal and uses for the GPS or anything... If you try and use it on a motorcycle, atv or car it will simply refuse to function.... Look at the Garmin Nuvi 550... Everyone knows you can't use it on a snowmobile, right? Maybe if I install tracks and a front ski under my Wee the GPS will think it's a snowmobile and work...

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just bought one. If nothing else it can be a backup to the 2610.

Thanks for the tip; that's really an excellent price! BTW: at the Shark site they're selling them for $159; so the ebay deal is even better.
It's an awesome deal... Worst case scenario (if it's junk)... throw it on eBay and get most of my money back...

·
Registered
113 Posts
There's a current ebay deal on a Garmin nuvi 1300LM (Lifetime Maps) for $80 with free shipping on the slickdeals front page. Doesn't claim to be waterproof, but one could easily put a plastic bag over the GPS in the rain :biggrinjester:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
There's a current ebay deal on a Garmin nuvi 1300LM (Lifetime Maps) for $80 with free shipping on the slickdeals page. Doesn't claim to be waterproof, but one could easily put a plastic bag over the GPS in the rain :biggrinjester:
Not saying it's not a deal... however you'll still need a mount/cradle and fiddle with making it waterproof... It's also not a specialized motorcycle GPS... which is what I wanted. I just can't stomach paying Garmin's price on bike gps'...

No big deal... I thought it was a great bike GPS for the price so I bought one... I just thought I would pass the info along to you guys here... Judge for yourself...:mrgreen:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I'm really interested to read your impressions when you get it and play with it.

·
Registered
6,663 Posts
Yes that should be fair price.

Other than gouging there never really was any reason a bike GPS should be more than $25 from a non waterproof.

Always thought that Garmin made a deal with the Devil BMW so their gouging was in line.

Please keep us informed. I am really only interested in a GPS that accepts routes from the outside

·
Registered
15,411 Posts
"Doesn't claim to be waterproof, but one could easily put a plastic bag over the GPS in the rain"

I drowned my first Tomtom at a gas station while filling up in a rain storm. I got a Ram dry box for the replacement. Touch screen works good even with gloves. $90 tomtom,$40 dry box, not bad. Oh, the dry box and Tomtom survived a crash, just had to get a new face plate for the dry box.
The $113 snow gps would be good value for water proof. Looks like it comes with a mount?
I wonder what the POI's would be. The Tomtom is really useful in the aspect.

Garmin made a deal with the Devil BMW

Yeah, I have one of the original BMW Nagivators. Close to $1000 new. I got it for $250. OYE!:yikes:

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I currently use my PDA as a gps (ASUS a-636N I think; it's got a 12 hour battery life).
I just wrap it in a condom to waterproof it. The touch-screen works just fine even with gloves and it still fits perfectly in the dash-suction-cup-mount that I've modified for bike usage.
I'm thinking of getting a better gps for my bike (the pda's battery tends to vibrate loose) or adapting something for my iphone (but the iphone is new to me so I don't know if it keeps working outside of cell-coverage, and the battery life is too short).
I'm really curious about this snowmobile GPS; if it turns out to be good, I might get one.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts