StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not to saturate the forum with motorcycle crashes in Boise, Idaho, but here's one that really supports the idea of always having a helmet---handy. Right on the sissy bar where it belongs. The rider had serious injuries in this classic left-turner crash. But the real reason I'm posting this link is because look, the Boise PD is riding VStroms!!! Smart department. Scroll through the pics.

Motorcyclist hospitalized after crash, police looking for witnesses | KTVB.COM Boise

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's a BMW R1200RT.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Hopefully he broke the rear window with his head and landed softly in the back seat.

·
Registered
7,437 Posts

Note that the police helmet is only a half-shell. Some departments are smarter and using flip-up helmets.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's Boise PD. The Meridian PD, right next door to Boise rides ST1300's and wears flip front helmets. Scorpion, I think. At least they were in 2012. Also, the Meridian PD motor officers wear hi-via gear and good motorcycle boots. They look like regular ATGATT riders from a distance. Management there has used their collective heads regarding the motorcycle patrol division.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Oh geez, slap me upside the head. My only defense is that I hadn't finished my first cup of coffee this morning. Duhhhh. I have mud on face.
Strompilot, got to keep the Yukon Jack out of the morning coffee! :green_lol:
At least wait until I get up there! :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I hope the poor bugger is OK.

I assume the driver has pulled out to turn right.

It doesn't look like loud pipes have helped here.
Apparently, judging from the comments on the thread since he wasn't on a Vstrom it doesn't matter if he is or isn't.
But for those curious, the article describes his injuries as 'life threatening.'

·
Registered
773 Posts
I hope the poor bugger is OK.

I assume the driver has pulled out to turn right.

It doesn't look like loud pipes have helped here.
Left turner...

"...SUV that was eastbound and turning north..."

I've avoided so many left-turners over the years, I have nightmares about them...

However, in your part of the world (where y'all drive on the wrong side of the road), I suppose it *would* be a "right-turner" problem...

·
Registered
313 Posts
From the pics it looks like he left the light in the background... possibly in typical loud pipe fashion (wfo).. and found himself looking at the back end of the rav4. Looks like the impact spun the Toyota and the rider and bike didn't go to far from there. At least he caught the door instead of the bottom of the A or B pillar. Feel bad for the guy though, that's a bit worse than my scrapes. Hope he gets through ok.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Its really interesting to read the comments in this thread vs the other currently running thread about someone dropping a Vstrom.
In the other thread its all, "gee, sorry that happened, glad you're okay"
In this one its mostly snarky comments about loud pipes and worrying about what kind of bikes the cops ride with about 2 "hope he is okays."

·
Registered
639 Posts
Its really interesting to read the comments in this thread vs the other currently running thread about someone dropping a Vstrom.
In the other thread its all, "gee, sorry that happened, glad you're okay"
In this one its mostly snarky comments about loud pipes and worrying about what kind of bikes the cops ride with about 2 "hope he is okays."
I think it may stem from a couple of points:
1) he's a H-D rider so he hates 'us' anyway,
and 2) perhaps lack of a helmet may have an effect of 'sneering' at the total disregard of one's safety.
I'm not saying that I'm right about that, or at least I hope I'm not, but makes you wonder?
I hope that he is okay and survives, and may learn a lesson regarding helmet useage. Speaking for myself, I take the view of a boxer in the ring, "you must defend yourself at all times".

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I think it may stem from a couple of points:
1) he's a H-D rider so he hates 'us' anyway,
and 2) perhaps lack of a helmet may have an effect of 'sneering' at the total disregard of one's safety.
I'm not saying that I'm right about that, or at least I hope I'm not, but makes you wonder?
I hope that he is okay and survives, and may learn a lesson regarding helmet useage. Speaking for myself, I take the view of a boxer in the ring, "you must defend yourself at all times".
Possbly so, and I guess I would add to your first point, most people on here seem to have little regard for HD riders based on my own experience.
As to point 2 I think its clear that is the case. Worth noting that a helmet is not a protective force field, it may or may not have made any difference in this case. We don't know because we don't know enough about the incident. I don't go near a bike without a helmet but thats my choice.

·
Registered
181 Posts
That just straight sucks all the way around. I would hate for any motorcyclists to have to deal with a wreck and injuries such as this. I will continue to be a ATGATT type of guy. I don't ever want to say " I should have been wearing a (insert protective gear here)". :thumbdown:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts