StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to start my wee yesterday and no headlights checked and replaced the fuses both hi and low even though they looked good. replaced the headlight bulbs with new ones nothing!
Everything else works turn signals,dash lights,and tail lights.
bike starts and runs fine any idea's?? :confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
I had the same problem last year and tracked it down to the connector behind the radiator. Took a little emery cloth and cleand the contactors, sprayed a little WD40, cleaned it all up and now they work great. Good luck

·
38,103 Posts
Be sure to pay attention to headlight relay comments. They will pretty much prevent future problems.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had the same problem last year and tracked it down to the connector behind the radiator. Took a little emery cloth and cleand the contactors, sprayed a little WD40, cleaned it all up and now they work great. Good luck
From looking at the radiator I would guess i have to remove the gas tank to get to that connector?

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
From looking at the radiator I would guess i have to remove the gas tank to get to that connector?
I left the gas tank alone. I just removed the plastic on the left side (clutch side) of the tank and was able to get to it that way. It will take a bit of time to do it so don't rush.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I left the gas tank alone. I just removed the plastic on the left side (clutch side) of the tank and was able to get to it that way. It will take a bit of time to do it so don't rush.
Thanks for all of the info...hopefully this will be the issue

·
Registered
172 Posts
No Headlights

Be sure to pay attention to headlight relay comments. They will pretty much prevent future problems.
+2 on installing a new relay harness. It will by-pass the wee's weak wiring system. It will flow higher current to the headlights so they will be 10-15% brighter. And, you will get future peace-of-mind. :hurray:

Best source for the relay harness is Eastern Beaver. :var_14:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lights are working great thanks to all for your help! I am looking at adding relay harness as the next project.

·
Registered
176 Posts
no headlights

I fixed my headlight problem today. I found the white wire terminal in the big connector under the fairing overheated. I bent the terminal so it would make better contact and then cleaned the starter switch and the big connector with Deoxit Gn5 Gold contact conditioner. Everything works great. I am getting the relay harness to prevent this from happening again.
This stuff is $$$$$ but works great. We use this all the time on aircraft avoinics connectors and anything we need to protect from corrosion.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Headlight relays...

Greywolf you said, "Be sure to pay attention to headlight relay comments. They will pretty much prevent future problems."

1. Where is a good place to purchase this, and

2. What does this relay do? Will it keep my headlight off till the engine actually is running?

Thanks,

2007 DL650 Gray

·
38,103 Posts
A relay kit takes the load off the stock wiring, connectors and contacts which only have the very light load of the relays to handle, milliwatts instead of over 100 watts.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Greywolf you said, "Be sure to pay attention to headlight relay comments. They will pretty much prevent future problems."

1. Where is a good place to purchase this, and

2. What does this relay do? Will it keep my headlight off till the engine actually is running?

Thanks,

2007 DL650 Gray
1. Eastern Beaver

2. The harness bypasses the stock wiring for the headlights... and as GW says takes the load off the starter switch which after a while seems to eventually succumb to the high electrical load across it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts