StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday I rode into work for the 1st time in well over a week. (I know....) Everything was fine. She fired up & ran perfect! Better than every before! :thumbup: Pulled up to my parking area at work & a coworker waved hello. Since I was doing VERY low speed manuvers I flashed my brights at him. "Something" happened, but I ignored it. Once I got all turned the correct direction & lined up to back into my spot I noticed that there were NO lights shining out front. Climbed off the bike & noticed that, while she was still running, NO HEADLIGHTS! :confused: My Piaa running lights worked just fine. Checked them then & ended up riding home in the rain with them on ONLY! :yikes:

At work I checked the bulbs & fuses. BOTH seemed to be okay. Bulbs didn't "look" burned out & the headlight fuses were good to go. Checked the factory service manual & everything points towards the ignition switch. Specifically the light portion of the switch. SO.....when I figure out how to get the plastics off without breaking them, get the tank & air box off I'll check the ignition switch.

Any other suggestions as to where I should look?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Plugging "no headlights" or "headlights out" in the google search box on the top of the page would have hit lots of threads. It's a common problem and the ignition switch is very low on the list of suspects. http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/33224-no-headlights-help.html is one hit. The starter button switch, large connector under the rubber cover in the fairing and the connectors behind the radiator that terminate the handlebar switch wiring are the usual suspects. The relay kit mentioned in the link will prevent it from happening again once the problem is fixed.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks GW! I tried searching before I posted here, but I guess I didn't have the correct word combination to find anything relevant. I'll be heading out to the garage here in a bit to check things out. Now if I could only get that damn cowling off! :confused:

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok....everything is apart & my garage looks like a bomb went off. PERFECT! :thumbup:

The only thing that I've found so far is that there is a big orange wire going into the large yellow connector that's pretty burnt. I can't find on any schematics where it has anything to do with the headlights, though. I'll reread some threads to see what I'm missing.

One good thing is that I found out that I REALLY need a new air filter! Dinner anyone?!?! :yikes:

·
38,104 Posts
Orange is an ignition on hot wire that feeds headlight circuits. It's probably the connector behind the radiator that feeds the normally closed contacts on the starter button switch. That exists so the headlights are turned off whenever the starter cranks. If that's it, the wire it connects to on the other half of the connector is O/R.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the only big yellow connector behind the radiator on the left side. That orange wire goes to Y/W on the other side of the connector. If I'm reading the correct schematic (I've checked 5 times to make sure that I am) that wire goes to the "dimmer switch" & is common to both the high & low beams. It kinda makes sense that it's (possibly) part of/the problem. They died when I flashed my lights. The O/R wire you speak of, again....if I'm on the correct schematic, goes to the horn button. I have 12V there & at multiple places along that line. I don't have 12V at the headlight connectors or anywhere else I've traced back from there. :confused:

I'll keep digging & call it a night for now. The weekend is coming! :hurray:

·
38,104 Posts
That's a different connector than the one I suspected. The right side connector goes to the starter button. The left side connector runs O to Y/W and Y/W feeds the common leg of the dimmer switch. A bad connection with that orange wire will kill the headlights.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after way too many days of not getting to touch my bike I got out there this afternoon & did some more troubleshooting. After checking the headlight dimmer switch, the starter switch & BOTH sides of the big left side connector behind the radiator it came down to that orange wire. Once I got it out & the other side (Y/W) & connected them outside of the connector everything worked. I think what happened was when it got hot it melted the plastic just enough to interrupt the connection. Now I have to get a new connector because that one is a little messed up after the pin removal! :furious:

So besides still not being able to ride for a while & having some other electrical items to clean up that I've put on, changing the air filter & possibly an oil change I should be riding some time next month! :thumbup: Oh....did I mention that my in-laws are coming this weekend?! :thumbdown: :biggrinjester:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts