StromTrooper banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with my 2007 vStrom Headlights going out? I would have thought it was the bulbs themselves but the hi beam light on the control panel doesn't even come on when you turn them on and off make me thing something else. I rode it last night about 25miles with no problems. On my way back turn it on lights won't come on at first, I rode like 500 yards blipped on for 3 sec then. Off. I rode home with emergencies on the whole way lol. Any ideas?

·
Registered
254 Posts
The tiny starter switch contacts can overheat from all the headlight current going through them. Here are some good contact cleaning instructions from BlackLab:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/maintenance-how/44177-start-switch-maintenance-pics.html

The other problem area is the four connectors above the radiator that get soaked with water from the tire. One of them carries the headlight power. Clean the pins, spray them down with acf50, then slide a piece of old inner tube over them leaving the aft end open and the front end tie wrapped closed.

Install the H4 dual headlight relay from Eastern Beaver as a preventative:

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Products/H4_Kits/h4_kits.html

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
18,462 Posts
Unfortunately a well known and documented issue, fix the issue and then install headlight relays.

·
Registered
304 Posts
^ what they said. Eastern Beaver headlight relay kit is worth many pennies of sanity in the long run. When it arrives, pop the relays off (the black rectangles) and hit the pins with a wad of dielectric grease. They should last a long, long while.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, guys.
Just to suggest one more solution to fix broken headlight (Suzuki V-Strom 650 K6, 2006).
Everything is shown on pictures. There is a colorless connector behind the right plastic cowling taped to black corrugated cable. This connector is not connected to anything, but instead has a 6-pin metal jumper inside. I just put this jumper out, cleaned it and connector's pins, put the jumper back and voila! The headlight is back.🙂

Attachments

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Thanx for sharing with supporting pix. That connector in your pix with the 6-pin metal jumper, appears to be an earth / ground / negative power commoning point.

·
Registered
969 Posts
That's unusual. The problem is usually in the positive wire to the headlights, not in the negative.

The positive feed to the headlights runs all over the place. To the front, back and to the front again, and through both handlebar clusters, passing numerous connectors and switches along the way. Just trace the wiring diagram. And on the dual-headlight VStroms thats normally 110W = about 10A of current. Even more (~20A in some places) when activating the flash-to-pass. Eventually one of these connectors or switches burns through. The EB headlight kit restores some sanity to this system by running a positive feed directly from the battery to the bulbs, with only a single relay in between. This relay is then triggered by the original feed, which reduces the current in that feed from 10 or 20A to just a few milliamps.

The negative on a VStrom however is just a bus. Current runs from the headlights basically straight to the battery. All sorts of devices use this bus for their ground return, and they connect to that bus using the "blind" connectors mentioned. These rarely cause a problem, but if they do, there's usually a lot more circuits affected than just the lights.

@yura777: Did you see any evidence of charring/melting/discoloring on that connector? (The pics don't show any.) And did you have any other electrical issues with your bike? Because if not, you may just have another problem lurking in your bike somewhere else, and only gotten lucky this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts