StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Are you having problems with other drivers because of the headlights?

Yesterday going home after work (in the dark), I came to a stop sign with a car in front of me, the lady in the car crossed it and i did too but she was driving very slowly about 15 mph in a 35 mph speed limit, so i passed her, and stopped on the next intersection to make a right turn, well this lady invaded my space on the lane, stopped on my right with 2 tires off the road and told me "Do you know how difficult it is to see with those lights? are they high beams?" I told her they are low beams and my bike is tall and her sporty car is low, then she went ahead and blocked me again, I passed her again and she tailgated me with her high beams on, I proceeded to dissapear.

This is the second time somebody gets behind me just to turn their high beams on. But I guess they are getting it back with the reflective tape I have plus the patches on my Darien jacket and pants.

I'll try to adjust them to avoid this but they work great the way they are now :confused:

·
Registered
285 Posts
Minew were just a hair high.
Since I raised the forks they are fine.
How do you adjust them anyway?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
According to the service manual (DL650)

HEADLIGHT BEAM ADJUSTMENT
Adjust the headlight beam, both vertical and horizontal

A:Vertical adjuster
B:Horizontal adjuster

NOTE:To adjust the headlight beam, adjust the beam horizontally first,
then adjust the vertically.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Your weight? Preload on the rear shock? I know my headlights were pointing pretty high when my wife and I are on the bike with it loaded.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Mine also are way high, I got flashed by someone and gave it back but probably just startled some owls!

·
Registered
888 Posts
Adjusted today, very easy with 1/4" drive 8mm socket and tiny ratchet. You can also do sitting on the bike, turning clockwise will lower the beam. Make a mark on the wall and cover the light you're not adjusting.

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
I do find more and more people are driving cars, trucks and bikes with headlights adjusted improperly. I also find a lot of cars and trucks with fog lights adjusted in such a way as to be blinding oncoming traffic. It really can affect the vision of oncoming cars, especially in poor visability conditions. Saying our bikes, cars or trucks are tall really isn't an excuse. If low beams are blinding people they should be adjusted lower.

We all should make an effort to make sure our headlights are adjusted properly on all our vehicles. It is common courtesy and could avoid a situation in the future. That driver blinded by oncoming lights could run into someone.

..Tom

·
Registered
647 Posts
I've been flash several times as well... Not the good kind though!
The lights on the VStroms seem to be brighter than most. Most cage drivers will notice you have both lights on and assume you are using your highbeam. Yeah, adjustment is important, but loading changes from day-to-day riding and fully loaded (luggage type loaded) long distance riding. No good answer I guess.

M

·
0 Posts
Why make adjustments based on cagers? F**k 'em. They try to run us over, cut us off and act like its no big deal, and tailgate when our stopping distance is a fraction of theirs. I say let 'em eat lights. After all there is that little switch on every rearview mirror made since...oh...1968 that lets you adjust the mirror to account for night driving. I appreciate the fact that you would even consider making adjustments for your fellow motorist. It shows a concern that many of them do not return. If everyone rode a motorcycle the world would be a better place. For me, I'm leaving the lights right where they are.

·
Administrator
13,830 Posts
Truth is most cager aren't driving any worse around Bikers than around cars. Most people simply don't have a clue about driving safely! They tailgate other cars, cut people off, stop too close to the vehicle in front, don't signal, etc. Gee, I notice a lot of bikers doing the same! Why would you expect them to suddenly treat bikes differently? How does you getting mad at them improve their driving?

I don't think blinding oncoming drivers is ever a good strategy; and how can annoying people by blasting them with high beams or misadjusted headlights be a good idea? Sure rearview mirrors can be dimmed (although cars without self dimming mirrors can't dim the side mirrors), but in many cases the headlights are still annoying. I know my vision gets affected negatively by bright lights shining in my eyes, I am sure this is true of most people. When beams are blasting me from behind I know that I get distracted. I am sure you do as well.

I think we need to show some respect for others If we want to be treated with respect while we ride or drive.

..Tom

Why make adjustments based on cagers? F**k 'em. They try to run us over, cut us off and act like its no big deal, and tailgate when our stopping distance is a fraction of theirs. I say let 'em eat lights. After all there is that little switch on every rearview mirror made since...oh...1968 that lets you adjust the mirror to account for night driving. I appreciate the fact that you would even consider making adjustments for your fellow motorist. It shows a concern that many of them do not return. If everyone rode a motorcycle the world would be a better place. For me, I'm leaving the lights right where they are.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I know my vision gets affected negatively by bright lights shining in my eyes, I am sure this is true of most people. When beams are blasting me from behind I know that I get distracted. I am sure you do as well.
Lately, the brake lights on some FUV's are almost as bad as someone coming at you with their brights on.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I like the F*ck part the best. I just got back from SEMA and picked a set of HIDs to convert my bike. wait til those idiots get a load of those in full highbeam mode.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When i started the thread, I just wanted to know if other Vstrom riders were having the same problem. I did not want to start a fight with car drivers to see who's got the brightest lights. :(

I adjusted my lights to not cause any problems to other drivers or to myself.

M

·
0 Posts
When i started the thread, I just wanted to know if other Vstrom riders were having the same problem. I did not want to start a fight with car drivers to see who's got the brightest lights. :(

I adjusted my lights to not cause any problems to other drivers or to myself.
Jim, I didn't mean to jack your thread. I was trying to point out, in a very inarticulate manner, that you (or perhaps a collective we) don't need to make any undue changes based on the complaint of one motorist. Are the lights bright? Sure. Do I need to adjust them down, and thereby reduce the time availalable to react to an item in the road due to the concerns of motorists? I don't think so. It was kind of you to do so. I just worry that the area of illumination in front of you has reduced your reaction time and possibly increased your risk of injury.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I think some lady would have gotten a boot in her door if she cut me off like that at a stop.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I've seen this on a french v-strom website:

He glued a Coca-Cola cap on the adjusting screw. He can now set the beam height by hand while sitting on the bike. Pretty smart way to adjust it regularly according to carrying weight...

Other cool little modifications, but all in french: http://dl650.free.fr/pbsoluces.html

·
Registered
576 Posts
Adjusted today, very easy with 1/4" drive 8mm socket and tiny ratchet. You can also do sitting on the bike, turning clockwise will lower the beam. Make a mark on the wall and cover the light you're not adjusting.
Thanks for this info. I finally got tired of having mine too high. Last night I pulled over at the end of a long trip and decided I would finally fix them. But didn't have much luck figuring out what to turn and what direction to use. Looking at the manual didn't help either. The "clockwise lowers" info and the hint about blocking one are both GREAT suggestions.

Yes I get flashed by cars sometimes, but the main reason to change is to have usable high beam lights. And it really does make a big difference when you tour 2up. I never realized that until the other night I dropped off my visiting sister and road home solo. After riding hours with headlights adjusted to high for effective highbeam use it was really shocking to have them almost usable again when solo. I always wondered why they didn't bother me unless I was on a trip with my wife. I had figured I just don't drive much at night, and never really considered that all the weight in the rear just puts my marginally adjusted lights over the edge.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The service manual tells you to adjust the horizontal first, then the vertical. I always pull the plug on the light I'm not working on.

What I'd really like is to be able to adjust the brights separately from the low beams.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts