StromTrooper banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just received my EB headlight relay. After reading various threads, seemed like a good idea to add one
Any tips on the installation, 06 wee, better to use posi-locks or solder, or go with the plug-in block it comes with?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I had one on my '09 and have one now on my '11 too... It's all plug n' play.... Trying to figure how on earth you would use a posi lock or solder in the installation process (again, since it is all plug n' play).... Where would you use the solder and posi locks on the installation, anyway? :confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
560 Posts
I'm too lazy to go to the EB site, but I believe he has the option of eliminating the plugs and sockets and allowing user to hardware the connection. However, I simply used the plugs, and somewhat waterproofed with silicon tape, and all has been well.

Rick

·
Registered
182 Posts
For those who have installed the EB relay kit... have you noticed any real difference at night?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
For those who have installed the EB relay kit... have you noticed any real difference at night?
Yes. A difference of a full volt is commonly measured and that is visible. The big benefit though is in keeping the stock electrical system from turning the lights off entirely with time.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eastern Beaver website lists that as an option for a cleaner, less bulky more permanent install. I have the relay kit but my bike is in the shop(valve adjustment)
Why did I think EB Co was out of Oregon?
Beaver from the Orient??

·
Registered
490 Posts
Eastern Beaver website lists that as an option for a cleaner, less bulky more permanent install. I have the relay kit but my bike is in the shop(valve adjustment)
Beaver from the Orient??
Jim is a Canadian living in the far east (Japan).

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Beaver from the Orient??
Jim, the owner is Canadian... Hence the Beaver...

·
Registered
674 Posts
Yes. A difference of a full volt is commonly measured and that is visible. The big benefit though is in keeping the stock electrical system from turning the lights off entirely with time.
This!

Light difference is absolutely noticeable. Note though that not everyone is equally sensitive to light, but I can confirm noticeable difference for me!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From EB's website
NOTE: The red wire of the Kit can be attached to the bike alternator's main positive output terminal. This might be a good option on some Japanese bikes which have a main fuse to the battery from the alternator.

Better on the Wee for the above connection?

BTW, got my bike back, so it all makes sense now, I'm going with the plug & play, want make it easier to take it with me for the next WEe

·
38,103 Posts
The V-Strom alternator has an external rectifier. The alternator output is AC. The Strom's main fuse is very near the battery. I don't see any advantage to looking for someplace other than the battery or a user installed fuse block.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Another farkle completed

Easy to install, simply followed the directions on the EB website, plus this forums advice, thanks

the important part was to insulate the unused socket and to zip tie everything up and out of the way, plenty of room, plenty of places to secure the wiring to..

·
Registered
46 Posts
Another farkle completed

Easy to install, simply followed the directions on the EB website, plus this forums advice, thanks

the important part was to insulate the unused socket and to zip tie everything up and out of the way, plenty of room, plenty of places to secure the wiring to..
I have an H4 kit on the way from Eastern Beaver; Jim was great to deal with, exchanged several emails in figuring out what I wanted/needed. I ended up going with the heavy-duty disconnect, plus two Sumitomo sealed connectors so that the switch wires can be disconnected as well. I really prefer a clean result, and for me it's worth attaching a few connectors for the joy of ditching the bulky H4 connectors (as well as the adapter).

How did you access the headlight, remove the fairings or ???

Thanks-

Bob

·
38,103 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts

·
38,103 Posts
It takes me about 15 minutes to get the fairing off. I'm slow but the process is very familiar. I must have done it 20 times.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts