StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The headlights on my 2012 shut off when the starter button is pushed, that being the case why would a relay be needed to save the starter switch from frying?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The 2012 works the same as models from 2005 on up. The headlights shut off so the starter motor gets all available power.

It's the set of contacts that provide power to the headlight that are protected by the relays. Anytime the bike is on, other than starting, those contacts are in use. That's what you're protecting.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I'm correct in that a relay would be of no use in protecting the starter switch from overloading with current feeding the lights?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Once again, Nothing changed. The Glee needs relays to keep the headlight load on the starter switch contacts from making the contacts eventually fail as well as other connectors. The starter switch headlight cutout has been causing problems since 2005 and 2012 is no different. Get relays if you want years of trouble free operation.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
So I'm correct in that a relay would be of no use in protecting the starter switch from overloading with current feeding the lights?
The purpose of the headlight relays has nothing to do with the starter switch.

The starter switch and headlight switch are two different sets of contacts, two different circuits. The headlight relays protect the headlight contacts and all else in the headlight circuit.

·
38,048 Posts
I'd guess he was talking about the normally closed headlight contacts in the starter switch and not understanding why they need relay protection.

·
Registered
635 Posts
A set of Eastern Beaver headlight relays is on the next up list, along with a PC-8 and some other power goodies.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Two issues, first is wear and tear on the contacts, second is the 'only just adequate' size of the wiring.

I put the relay in quite laht on my K6 (50,000k's or so), lights went from yellow to white without changing the bulbs ;)

Pete

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
The headlights on my 2012 shut off when the starter button is pushed, that being the case why would a relay be needed to save the starter switch from frying?
That's exactly why you need the relay... Too much current (like the last gen wees) is running through the starter button switch... eventually burning up the contacts...

·
38,048 Posts

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
How long does it take to burn up the contacts?
Mine never burnt up on my 2006 DL650, but somewhere between 100,000 and 120,000 miles they needed cleaning.

..Tom

·
38,048 Posts
After 50k miles my contacts aren't burnt up. Just wondering how much longer I have to go.
The majority of bikes never have a problem. Do you feel lucky?

·
38,048 Posts
You can regularly check and clean the contacts, do nothing and hope it won't be a problem or install relays. The last is so much easier and, if you know how to wire them, costs less than $10.

·
Administrator
13,552 Posts
So maybe all that's really needed is a bit of maintenance, like everything else?

By completely understanding the problem, luck is not a factor.
The problem with forums is that as a general rule the amount of people with a problem are much more likely to speak up than the amount of people without a problem.

I would be curious to know what the actual number of V-Strom's with Starter button problems are vs the time and mileage (ie what is the failure rate per bike, per mileage unit, and per time unit.) I suspect it's pretty low, but I think that having a relay is a good idea just the same. But if a relay is put in how does that affect the life of headlight bulbs? With a relay more power is going to the bulbs, and reducing the power to a bulb has been demonstrated as one of the best ways to increase the life of a given bulb. So by adding a relay have you reduced the likelihood of a bulb burning out? We are fortunate on the Strom in that we have two bulbs so one bulb burning out isn't an incredible safety issue but my 2006 with 125,500 miles still has the original headlight bulbs in it.

So I think I should get a relay but strangely I don't feel any huge rush to do so.

..Tom

·
38,048 Posts
There are articles all over the Internet on how to wire relays. Stroms need one for high beam and one for low beam.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts