StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any opinions on headlight modulators? Someone recommended kisan but I've also heard a little about diamond star too.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
And here's MY opinion:

I have a Diamondstar, and I love it. I don't have it running all the time, but I ride through a couple of very dangerous intersections during my daily commute and like the additional visibility.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I used one on my last bike, but usually had it switched off. They help when you're feeling threatened, but as randyo sez, they're annoying.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm gonna go put my Diamond Star on this afternoon. Not as easy to install as the Kisan from what I've heard, but it comes with all of the connectors. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
171 Posts
To me, they give the appearance of "GO, I'm letting you pull out in front of me." I have been riding for 39 years. Everytime I see one, I can't help but think what the cagers must be thinking. We flash our headlights to give signals. I just think it sends the wrong message.
Jim

·
Registered
343 Posts
Heck ya +1 for annoying... every time I am riding or driving and I see one coming at me from a few hundred yards I think, man look at that annoying motorcycle with modulating head lamps... then I think, hey look at that annoying motorcycle that I picked out way up there... yup, he is getting anoyingly closer, yup anoyingly closer... zoom... there he goes.

I agree they are annoying, but I want one too, because I always see them really far off.

Set them with an on/off switch for night time riding (usually people wire them up with the high beams... but what if you want your high beams at night?).

·
Registered
143 Posts
They come with a photosensor that automatically turns them off at night. California law started that.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Yahoo, got another one. Leo that is. Educated another LEO about modulators and had a nice long talk about bikes in general. He didn't doubt me about the legality of the modulator or ask for proof. He is wanting to return to riding after being stationed way up in the frozen GWN for a couple years. Thanked him for the friendly chat and rode on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Just got done putting the Diamond Star on. Big difference from what I can tell. I just did the left-side headlamp, and the only thing that was a pain was getting my [email protected]$$ paws into the cowling to plug everything in. Kit comes with everything, down to a couple of zip-ties to hold everything together. Now I'm modulated on both ends. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the photosensor - the manual says just below the headlamp, but I have no intention of drilling a hole in the cowling! I have it zip-tied to the clutch cable for now.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Just got done putting the Diamond Star on. Big difference from what I can tell. I just did the left-side headlamp, and the only thing that was a pain was getting my [email protected]$$ paws into the cowling to plug everything in. Kit comes with everything, down to a couple of zip-ties to hold everything together. Now I'm modulated on both ends. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the photosensor - the manual says just below the headlamp, but I have no intention of drilling a hole in the cowling! I have it zip-tied to the clutch cable for now.
My 650K6 had a perfect spot to mount the photo sensor with no drilling required. The black cowling peice under the headlamp assembly had 2 unused holes in it. Using a couple of nylon washers, the sensor mounted up perfectly.

Remember to mount the sensor pointing straight down towards the roadway, so headlights or streetlights can't accidentally activate the modulator.

·
Registered
143 Posts
My 650K6 had a perfect spot to mount the photo sensor with no drilling required. The black cowling peice under the headlamp assembly had 2 unused holes in it. Using a couple of nylon washers, the sensor mounted up perfectly.

Remember to mount the sensor pointing straight down towards the roadway, so headlights or streetlights can't accidentally activate the modulator.
I saw those, but I wasn't sure about how well light would get to it. Sounds like this works pretty well for you. I'll have to switch things around. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
A headlight modulator dims the headlights (highbeams or lowbeams) 4 times per second as a way to be more visible to other traffic.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Silly question - when you set it up, it's supposed to modulate both high and low beams, right? Or are you supposed to set it up to modulate just one?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Silly question - when you set it up, it's supposed to modulate both high and low beams, right? Or are you supposed to set it up to modulate just one?
I suppose you could set it up to modulate both high and low beams on one side. I have mine on the high beams (on both sides). I would be afraid that with only one side modulating, the offset position of the modulating light could cause someone to mistake it as a turn signal.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Who cares if drivers are annoyed

Does anyone have any opinions on headlight modulators? Someone recommended kisan but I've also heard a little about diamond star too.
Here's my opinion on modulators. First of all I like the Kisan that's installed on my 650. I don't use it all the time. But I do use it when traffic is extremely heavy if commuting in rush hour for example when I am surrounded by cars constantly at highway speeds. I also may turn it on (flip to brights turns it on) when approaching a dangerous intersection or an intersection with a car waiting to make a left turn. I really don't care if some driver gets annoyed by it. He's protected by a 4000 lb cage and I'm not. The whole idea of the thing is to get the attention of bonehead drivers that aren't seeing you because of a myriad of reasons.

No one has ever cut me off when I have the Kisan on. More often than not, they actually move over to the slower lane. That's what you want---for them to know you are there. Ignore the people here that dismiss the modulators as stupid. Stupid is having a cycle accident because the cage didn't see you.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I suppose you could set it up to modulate both high and low beams on one side. I have mine on the high beams (on both sides). I would be afraid that with only one side modulating, the offset position of the modulating light could cause someone to mistake it as a turn signal.

Best solution is to modulate the high beams---in case you decide you don't want the modulator on all the time which will happen with low beams. A light sensor shuts it off at night so you can use unmodulated high beams.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts