StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that supposedly there are no stupid questions, but this one might be close.

Has anyone considered using a headlight modulator that only modulates one of the lights? I was thinking that maybe having one light flashing and one steady might not be as annoying to others, yet still noticeable. If you look at the Kisan web page, it looks like their illustration shows only one of two lights flashing.

http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

Tim

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
I have it installed. Both light flash. And frankly, I care less about being "annoying". If they see me because of the modulator, mission accomplished.

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
I just ride with my brights on....with the kick butt lights on the Strom, people WILL see you!!!

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Tim, good for you for asking any questions. If people think it's "stupid", well, to hell with 'em is what I say. That said, of course there is a way to have one headlight modulate and one be constant or for them to modulate alternatively... just look at any police bike (a friend of mine is actually in charge of the local police bikes electrics). I couldn't possibly begin to tell you how you'd go about this in terms of the electrical necessities to obtain such a set up but I can tell you that what companies like Kissan and Diamond Star produce are given the green light by the DOT, which means you can LEGALLY run it. I personally wouldn't want to be on the non-police bike w/non-DOT approved lights.

It's known that I'm a HUGE fan of the headlight modulator and every bike in my stable has one. I will not own a bike that doesn't. I'll second the question as to why are you concerned w/annoying other drivers? If you are "annoying" them then by definition they are aware of you which means they will not run you over (officer, I just didn't see the motorcycle). Could you please explain your concerns re annoying other drivers? I would really be interested in understanding your perspective.

BigB... agreed, the Strom lights are bright but it's not the brightness that makes the difference, it's the flashing. Ask any deer... it'll freeze in the road to the bright light but react and move to flashing light (and, of course, sound). I'd be willing to bet if you rode a bike w/a modulator you'd understand completely. Hmmm...come to think of it I am coming thru Buckeye land. :wink:

·
Administrator
16,597 Posts
BigB... agreed, the Strom lights are bright but it's not the brightness that makes the difference, it's the flashing. Ask any deer... it'll freeze in the road to the bright light but react and move to flashing light (and, of course, sound). I'd be willing to bet if you rode a bike w/a modulator you'd understand completely. Hmmm...come to think of it I am coming thru Buckeye land.
Stromette...I hope I didn't come across, as me thinking they were stupid? I think that they are a good idea, and I see their purpose. I try not to ride at night very much, cause the deer in OHIO are the size of cattle, and as stupid as a tree! When are you coming through Buckeye land?

·
Registered
383 Posts
just my .02 on the headlights flashing alternately. Alternating headlights are known as "wig-wags" and in most states are reserved for emergency vehicles only. there are several kits which are simple splice jobs to do this, made by Sound-Off, Able-1, Gall's Inc, Federal Signal Corp., and Code-3. IMHO go with the modulator because the penalty just isn't worth it. . .In NJ having them or strobe lights in the headlights are grounds for having the vehicle impounded!

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to clarify, I know that "wig-wag" lights are for law enforcement and emergency vehicles, so that's not what I am interested in. I mentioned the illustration on the Kisan web site that appears to show one light flashing and one light steady. That seems to me to be the equivalent of saying "Hey! I'm here" vs. "HEY! I'M HERE!!" I don't know if they are truly annoying to others, but if they are, maybe one light would be a little more understated while still being effective. I don't know.

The question has since become moot. I ordered the master/slave modulator that will flash both lights. I will still ride as if I am invisible, but maybe this farkle will tilt the odds in my favor a bit. Now I just need to decide on which tail and/or brake light set-up to get.

Thank you all for your replies.

Tim

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts