StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see two options here: The Eastern Beaver kit and the Kisan Pathblazer. The Eastern Beaver has a lot of wiring and connections, but is cheaper. The Kisan is a lot more compact and simpler, but costs more.

Opinions anyone? For me, the price difference is not a factor. I was wondering if one works bettewr than the :confused:other.

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I had the Comagination installed for about a month. Easy install works as described. After riding through PA I took them off and sold them. Nearly everyone else around here will tell you modulator's are great, for me they were a safety hazard. People pulling over for me on dangerous curves and others acting like they were throwing a projectile and yelling when I passed. They caused far more hazards for me then they were worth.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have the Kisan, couldn't a simpler plug and play.

That being said, I have the same mixed reaction about using it. I find that in light residential neiborhood traffic, I get the pull over reaction; finger salute, headlight flash, what-not. In heavier city boulevard traffic, it seems to work great. Not too many adverse reactions, and people will actually stay in their damn turning lane until I'm gone. I think the adverse reaction comes from the fact that a Wee/Vee has a lot of light coming out from the front on hi beams. This is not a cruiser with a round poor reflector powered by one bulb, but rather a modern efficient design reflector with 2 bulbs. Heck, it's a car headlight system!

Despite all that, I'm using it on and off (no pun intended), and will keep it.

My 0.02$
Rich

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I have the Diamond Star unit, also. This is the 2nd bike I've had it installed on, and have been very happy with it.

The only thing I would mention about Signal Dynamics is that they sometimes build new features into products that turn out later to be illegal. My Diamond Star unit came with 2 features that later prompted a recall.

One was a "Heads Up" function that modulated the high beams for a few seconds when you hit the horn button. I kind of liked the idea, but they forgot to have it disable after dark (and modulating headlights at night is illegal).

The second was a "Hyper" mode that modulated at twice the rate. The federal law is very specific about the rate of modulation, so why they ever included it in the first place is a mystery.

A simple wiring change eliminated both "features".

·
Premium Member
630 Posts
I have the Kisan and I think it works great, the brain dead drivers in SoCal seem to notice me more and if a few of them pull over and let me pass, who am I to complain:D:cool:

Jerry

·
Registered
797 Posts
I just got my Eastern Beaver modulator kit in the mail today, will install it this week at some point. The kit is superb, the wiring is as professional as you can possibly get. The thing to keep in mind about the Eastern Beaver kit is that it also wires your lights direct from the power source, making them brighter and powered off of their own circuit. That's a double win right there.

I have a Comagination modulator on my VTX and I like that one as well. It can be turned off when you switch to low beams, to not annoy the person in front of you while in traffic.

Honestly, I think a modulator is a must, but it's a good idea to get one that can be turned off (low beams) and also has a light sensor, so it's off at night. I hardly ever have anyone pull over for me or give me the finger, maybe I'm just more intimidating looking than you guys :reddevil: ;)

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
I have the Kisan and I think it works great, the brain dead drivers in SoCal seem to notice me more and if a few of them pull over and let me pass, who am I to complain:D:cool:

Jerry
I once thought that way, too. That is until I was on a two lane road behind a young cage driver with another car following a little close on my tail. Going around a sweeping blind curve the car in front finally decided to rapidly pull over for me onto the non-existent shoulder which left more than half his car still on the road. I had the choice of doing a quick stop and maybe getting run over by the car behind, or swing out into the oncoming lane of traffic. Fortunately I had left myself enough distance from the lead car that I could see I was clear to get into the oncoming lane.

That was the final straw for me and the modulator. It created a dangerous situation for the inexperienced and confused teen driver. Who was now sitting stopped in a blind curve. For me having to maneuver around the teen and for the car following me who had to brake hard for the unexpected obstacle. Not to mention anyone who may have happed by in the other direction at the wrong time.

Until then I was very amused by the people who would pull over for me. Now, I see them all as dangerously confused on how to react. Personally I will never ride with a modulator again. Yes, I realize I'm in the minority. So what else is new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm pretty sure I know why people are pulling over for you and then getting mad and cursing you as you pass. It is not because your modulating headlight is bothering them so much that they can't stand it. It is because they think you are a police motorcycle officer en route to a code 3 call. I could see the young and dumb drivers panicking when seeing the headlights and making a mistake right in front of me.

I typically use the pass button at most intersections that I approach with cross traffic. I think this will have to work for now because after reading this post, I seems even more unsafe to modulate the headlight.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm pretty sure I know why people are pulling over for you and then getting mad and cursing you as you pass. It is not because your modulating headlight is bothering them so much that they can't stand it. It is because they think you are a police motorcycle officer en route to a code 3 call. I could see the young and dumb drivers panicking when seeing the headlights and making a mistake right in front of me.

I typically use the pass button at most intersections that I approach with cross traffic. I think this will have to work for now because after reading this post, I seems even more unsafe to modulate the headlight.

Thanks for the info.
Look Edith,the approaching motorcycle ia signaling us to pull out.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
I have had my Kisan for 2 years on the Strom. It has caused some dangerous situations, but saved my ass more times. It is a must in SoCal traffic jams when splitting lanes, and on long straight bright desert roads. Its great on residential streets as long as you are not following some one, then I will turn it off.

My light sensor starting acting up lately, but $12 later I have a new harness with light sensor and its working like new.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
The modulator is a godsend to Southern California traffic. Especially if you split lanes. It wakes up drivers and alerts the brain dead cell phone operators and cagers (especially SUVs with extended side-view mirrors) drivers that ride the white line. It’s true that when they see you coming, they give you space.

Point is they see you. That’s the point of the modulator. If they see you and take precaution, they are less likely to turn left in front of you, cut you off or change lanes without signaling. In fact, the only time these things ever happened to me is when I don’t use the modulator.

The modulators don’t cause safety issues. The issues already existed by design of the cager or rider. The modulator just alerts the cager to the approaching/existing issue.

According to NHTSA, when motorcycles and other vehicles collide, it is usually the other (non-motorcycle) driver who violates the motorcyclist’s right-of-way. Motorcycles and their riders are a relatively small component of the total traffic mix. (cyclist not . Therefore, their visual recognition is reduced. So it’s important to be seen.)

Common Cager, “I didn’t see him”.

Every time I drive my cage and a modulating motorcycle coming from….hundreds of yards away, either from in front or behind me I think, “What an annoyance that I picked out that motorcycle from that far away. Well I better keep and eye on him”.

Then it usually dawns on me as he passes. “Hey I see him, but a few minutes ago I didn’t see the non-modulating motorcyclist I nearly knocked into kingdom come.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I installed the Eastern Beaver unit last weekend. Really still figuring out when I'm going to run the modulator. Open road, definitely. In town, probably only coming up on intersections, Heavy slow moving traffic, probably not at all.

The brake light flasher obviously gets used all the time, but at least I made it flash for only 5 seconds.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts