StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Strommers!

I just got a beautiful red DL650 and want to make myself more visible. I'm trying to decide between the Kriss and the Kisan headlight modulators. I'm leaning toward the Kriss just because they are significantly cheaper and from the descriptions, they perform the same functions.

Can anyone provide a compelling argument for or against either?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Can't tell you about the Kriss but I can tell you I have about 11,000 miles on my Kisan pathBlazer. No problems, it was a snap to install, and it works flawlessly. I am convinced it saved my ass at least once.

From my business dealings with Kisan Technologies I can tell you the support will be top-shelf. Have a question? Make a quick toll-free call, get the right answer from someone who knows exactly what they are talking about. Believe it or not you'll often get Andy on the tech line. He is the chief engineer who designs these devices. Now THAT'S support.

The Kriss unit could be superb as well, but I wouldn't know.

Ride well illuminated!

·
Registered
32 Posts
This is my opinion on headlight modulators, they may make cages more aware of you BUT if you have ever ridden with someone who has one on their bike AND they are behind you, it will set you crazy. I road half-way from Ohio to Colorado with a bike behind me that had one. Finally couldn't take the distraction in my mirrors and road behind him the rest of the way.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Michael P. said:
This is my opinion on headlight modulators, they may make cages more aware of you BUT if you have ever ridden with someone who has one on their bike AND they are behind you, it will set you crazy. I road half-way from Ohio to Colorado with a bike behind me that had one. Finally couldn't take the distraction in my mirrors and road behind him the rest of the way.
I thought there was a way to turn the headlight off or even modulate it to a lower setting, no? :?:

·
Registered
441 Posts
Absolutely! On the pathBlazer from Kisan, just switch to low beam during daylight hours and the headlight will no longer modulate. Anybody who is riding behind you for an extended period with a modulator isn't doing you any favors. I won't follow anyone with it for very long.

If however you're riding a series of intersections in a city or riding in unfamiliar areas, on any other high-risk area turn the thing ON! I am convinced it saved my hide just about a year ago from right now.

The way I look at it, it's legal in every state in American and every Canadian province. Use it responsibly but use it!

Ride safely.

S

·
0 Posts
I also have the Kisan, and would write more, but I totally agree with everything said by MWValley above. So, "ditto."

·
Registered
441 Posts
Siorc,

So you agree red is the fastest color too? :wink:

Thanks for backing me up!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Kisan Pathblazer

Just ordered my brank new Kisan modulator for my DL650 off of eBay for $99.00. That's like $50 to $70 dollars off of most everyone elses price. Don't get the Diamond star unit unless you can order an older one that still has the heads up feature. The newer units do not have that and Diamond Star units are a pain to install. you have to slice wires, track down specific wires and such. A real pain. The Kisan units just plug in and that's about it. Headlight modulators are definately worth the price. What price tag can you put on your life??? Even if it just saves your ass once over a ten year period it's still the best investment of your life. I'd also recommend the Hyperlight brake light module. It's easy as pie to install and it really gets your rear end noticed. Hopefully it will keep you from getting rear ended which is a big danger. Keep safe....ATGATT. :)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Re: Kisan Pathblazer

BioStrom 650 said:
Just ordered my brank new Kisan modulator for my DL650 off of eBay for $99.00. That's like $50 to $70 dollars off of most everyone elses price. <snip>
Who did you buy from on ebay? Best I've seen are selling for $152 which is pretty close if not retail pricing, no?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Here's the eBay ad for the Kisan Modulator I purchased. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=4626175214&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT . Email him to see if he has any more. I told him that I was going to let people on the Vstrom Forum know about him. It arrived within days and I had it completey installed within 15 minutes. Easy as pie. It works great. I've alreay noticed at least 3 cars that have decided NOT to pull out into my lane after noticing me coming at them with flashing headlights. None of these 3 instances would have caused an accident, but it's cool to see them start to pull out of the parking lot on my right hand side, and then suddenly slam their brakes on because they don't know what I am. I was 500 yards away but they still wouldn't pull out until I passed. Cars all around me don't know what to make of me. Am I a cop? Am I a volunteer firefighter on my way to a fire? Am I pulling them over? Am I an emergency vehicle of some kind? Am I some kind of freak? O.K........I'm not sure about that last one, but people definately stare at me. Some people slow down, some pull over to let me pass. They're not sure what I am, and so suddenly they start to become very aware of my presence. They start driving very safely. I can't recommend these enough. YOU MUST GET ONE! It may very well be the best investment of your life. All cycles should come with headlight modulators straight from the factory. This is my second cycle with a headlight modulator. I'll never own a bike without one. There.....is that a glowing recommendation or what??? :lol:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Kisan

Thanks. I tried to offer $90 to another seller who wouldn't even counter-offer with $99 or anything - best he could do was $142 or so.

I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The modulator for the Vstrom comes with 2 units. A master unit and a slave unit. Thus, both lights modulate.

·
Premium Member
4,451 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply. Can you imagine if the lites alternated ? Can you spell arrested with no bail ? lol.

·
Premium Member
573 Posts
water warrior said:
Thank you for the quick reply. Can you imagine if the lites alternated ? Can you spell arrested with no bail ? lol.
Actualy they sell a unit that does just that, but it is for Emergency vehicles only. I am sure it would be easy to modify to get it to that. But yea arrested is the least of your problems there.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
**HUGE** +1 for headlight modulators. All bikes in my stable have 'em. Stromette's a big fan of the Diamond Star modulator w/the "heads-up" traffic alert feature which simply means when the horn is pressed the headlight modulates for several seconds regardless of whether it is light or dark. This feature alone has saved my skin at several intersection near-misses.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Diamond star headlight modulators no longer have that heads up feature that allows you to flash the headlights at night with a press of the horn button. The Department of Transportation decided that the feature was illegal and so forced Diamond star to stop using it as of October 2005. I've tried finding the old unit on eBay, but they're hard to come by and cost about $150.00 when they come up. It is a great feature though, if you can find an older one. If you can't, go with the Kisan unit. Much, Much, Much easier to install. Took me 15 minutes, whereas installing the Diamond star took me about 4 hours and lots of headaches. Also, with all the wire splicing you need to do with the Diamond star unit,...if you have electrical problems with your bike, the dealership can say it is due to you messing with the electrical system and not cover you under warranty. With the Kisan unit, I can remove the whole thing in less than 10 minutes and reinstall it in 10 minutes, after the dealership looks at my bike.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
BioStrom 650 said:
Diamond star headlight modulators no longer have that heads up feature that allows you to flash the headlights at night with a press of the horn button. The Department of Transportation decided that the feature was illegal and so forced Diamond star to stop using it as of October 2005. I've tried finding the old unit on eBay, but they're hard to come by and cost about $150.00 when they come up. It is a great feature though, if you can find an older one. If you can't, go with the Kisan unit. Much, Much, Much easier to install. Took me 15 minutes, whereas installing the Diamond star took me about 4 hours and lots of headaches. Also, with all the wire splicing you need to do with the Diamond star unit,...if you have electrical problems with your bike, the dealership can say it is due to you messing with the electrical system and not cover you under warranty. With the Kisan unit, I can remove the whole thing in less than 10 minutes and reinstall it in 10 minutes, after the dealership looks at my bike.
Hmmm, Stromette has had zero problems finding, installing, or operating the DS units. Seems the last one took a/b 45 min and that's coming from someone who is mechanically declined. My bikes never see the inside of a stealership anyway so I don't run a "risk" of electrical blame and warranty issues. IMHO, the only risk is not having it on my bikes. Of the 8 bikes that have had the unit & w/me averaging 30-50k mi per year I have never once had an electrical issues resulting form the unit... but I have had my skin saved several times. Of course, YMMV.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts