StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way to work on Friday I caught a rock to my headlight :headbang:. Luckily it only scratched the light. I want to install a headlight guard of some sort. What kind is best? All help is welcomed.

·
Banned
1,121 Posts
I'm partial to the Touratech one.

Reactions: EMFL and JPoulson

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cee Bailey's, the aircraft plastic/motorcycle windshield maker sells ones for $49.95. I have them and they work well although they don't have that aggressive adventure bike look that metal guards do. I used to make my own with plastic in this style for the various enduro type dirt bikes I used to own.

Go to: http://www.ceebaileys.com/suzuki/dl650_100_hdgrd.html

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

·
Registered
635 Posts
Cee Bailey's, the aircraft plastic/motorcycle windshield maker sells ones for $49.95. I have them and they work well although they don't have that aggressive adventure bike look that metal guards do. I used to make my own with plastic in this style for the various enduro type dirt bikes I used to own.

Go to: Cee Baileys | Suzuki DL 650/1000 V-Strom Headlight Guard

Mike
Idaho
Ride Around the World 2005
Those are pretty cool, I wish they could make those 3M dots disappear and these don't seem to be shaped for the
'12+ Wee...

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tourtech it is. I like the Cee Baileys one but hate the dots.

·
Registered
80 Posts
<<Those are pretty cool, I wish they could make those 3M dots disappear and these don't seem to be shaped for the
'12+ Wee...>>

I may have copied the wrong link. Cee Bailey's does make them for the 2012+. I have them on my 2012 and they fit perfectly. The dots aren't as prominent on the bike as they seem in the photos. A plus is the easy removal to clean the headlights. I'm sure either guard will give adequate protection in most situations.

Mike
Idaho
www.rtwrider.net

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
light covers

Any covers will scatter the light somewhat. INMHO that's kind of sinful considering how impressive the Vstrom lights are.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Anyone? I kind of like the looks of the Touratech unit so I may buy that and keep my Puig for the future. I think the solid plastic/lexan/bicarbonate shields do a better job of keeping bugs off but I really don't want excess heat. It would be different if the cover was set in front of the headlights by an inch or so.

NC

·
Registered
201 Posts
I had the Ventura plastic guard on my Honda ST1100. It melted, be it from the 65 watt bulbs or the winter warm-up idle, I'm not sure. I then went with the Cee Baileys, which is alot thicker and has what I believe a little more clearance between the guard and glass. Still no problems.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Not much can hurt a Strom in looks IMO but that does look more insect like. My friends Triumph scrambler has a nice looking wire one. Seem about a third of them you see now have went for a one pipe and short seat with longer chrome rear rack. Really I like the retro look of them stock with two side pipes. Guess its being parked next to my dirty Wee makes it look lots better.:grin2:

·
Administrator
6,198 Posts
So will a plastic guard prevent the headlight from cooling and melt, well, anything?

NC
No it won't - or use LED bulbs.

When headlights were glass I used to use clear tank protector adhesive soft plastic sheet that could be purchased in rolls, that's before manufacturers came up with shaped and patterned items. With today's less brittle acrylic headlights I no longer bother.

12" x 48" Clear Bra Headlight Bumper Hood Paint Protection Film Vinyl Sheet#ST28 | eBay

You are simply looking for something to cushion the initial impact of a sharp stone.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No it won't - or use LED bulbs.

When headlights were glass I used to use clear tank protector adhesive soft plastic sheet that could be purchased in rolls, that's before manufacturers came up with shaped and patterned items. With today's less brittle acrylic headlights I no longer bother.

12" x 48" Clear Bra Headlight Bumper Hood Paint Protection Film Vinyl Sheet#ST28 | eBay

You are simply looking for something to cushion the initial impact of a sharp stone.
My question was poorly worded so I want to make sure I am clear that your answer is that in your opinion, a plastic headlight protector that is right up against the stock headlights will NOT cause anything to melt. Did I interpret your comment correctly?

NC

·
Administrator
6,198 Posts
My question was poorly worded so I want to make sure I am clear that your answer is that in your opinion, a plastic headlight protector that is right up against the stock headlights will NOT cause anything to melt. Did I interpret your comment correctly?

NC
Correct. I have done that in the past (with incandescent bulbs in the headlights of my GSXR's). I have not purchased any recently but bike shops would sell a thick soft adhesive plastic film designed to be used as a tank protector on motorcycles.
I would also use it on my dirt bikes to cover the side panel numbers etc. so that the water blaster would not blast the numbers off.

·
Administrator
6,198 Posts

NC
I have just looked at your comment again and think that you may be considering a hard acrylic sheet against your headlight. This type of guard works best when they are fitted to leave a gap between headlight and guard so that it can flex, otherwise any impact will shatter the guard or transfer the blow directly to the headlight.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts