StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a headlight bulb tread??
I want to replace my OEM's with a better bulb, lots of deer here. .....
I understand Sylvana's silver star are good but have a short life spand, about 12 months and cost major $$$$.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I tried the Sylvania Silver Star on one side. It lasted about 6 months and wasn't really brighter. A little whiter but not enough to justify the cost and lack of life.

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
Try headlight relays for brighter light from oem?

I wouldn't use a whiter light, it just washes out color and makes objects less recognisable.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Is there a headlight bulb tread??
Yes there is. Quite a few of them, actually. I just checked.

Here are instructions on how to access all of them.

- Look up towards the top of this forum page.

- Just underneath the word "Calendar", you will see a "Search Dialog Box". (Inside that box, you will see the words, "Google Custom Search".)

- Inside the dialog box, type in the words, "Headlight Bulbs", then hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard, or click on the "Search" button next to the dialog box.

Enjoy your reading!

B.L.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
did that

Yep, I've done that search. All I see is how to "change" a bulb. === I'm looking for info on a good, bright after market bulb that will last more than 6 to 12 months. I've read that some you guys use a brighter bulb, maybe with a different tint / color. I'm trying to find out what last and does the job. I have EB's headlight kit. == The deer we have here are endangered and tiny, 40#-50# adults, I don't want to hit one, they're the only thing that stops the builders from paving over the entire island and building shore to shore condos......
Thanks

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I've tried three or four different halogen bulbs. They are all similar. I prefer HID.

·
Registered
44 Posts
silverstar zxe bulbs

I just put in a pair of the new silverstar zxe bulbs they say( hid look) but look bright have to go for a nite ride to really rate them 9003 is the size but it says h-4 also on the package and they sell them in twin packs.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Lots of choices in the H4 - HB2 - 9003 bulbs. The Sylvania Superstar is one of the poorer choices...short life & high cost.

I run the Philips Motovision bulbs. They show orange in the lower half of the reflector to get the attention of a few more drivers. They're considered a +30 or +40 bulb...puts out 30% or 40% more light than stock bulbs.
Amazon.com: Philips 9003 MotoVision Motorcycle and Powersport Headlight Bulb, Pack of 1: Automotive

Candlepower has a great selection of H4 bulbs.

Stick with stock wattage to avoid excess heat. The bulbs with higher light output get that from more precise (costlier) placement of the filament in the reflector's optical center, better (costlier) gases in the bulb, and a thinner filament which results in shorter bulb life. Some like PIAA position the filament so there is one bright spot in the beam, taking light away from other areas of the beam, and measure that claiming more light (bogus). Stick with clear bulbs. Blue tinted bulbs (a) lose light from the dye on the bulb, and (b) create more glare for both on coming drivers and the rider in fog, mist, rain, etc. Candlepower's rough service bulbs will put out less light with their tougher filament, but might be useful in extremely rough riding.

Some here like high intensity discharge headlights, but their use in headlight assemblies not designed for them can be problematic with huge glare problems in some cases, and they are always illegal to retrofit into these lights.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Some here like high intensity discharge headlights, but their use in headlight assemblies not designed for them can be problematic with huge glare problems in some cases, and they are always illegal to retrofit into these lights.
They are not a problem in Vstrom reflectors. Nobody is enforcing federal legality issues.

I'm not going back.

·
Registered
150 Posts
They are not a problem in Vstrom reflectors. Nobody is enforcing federal legality issues.

I'm not going back.
Do you have a link to the bulbs you are using? I've never used HID's in any of my vehicles, so I'm curious about the difference between them and regular ol' halogens.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Philips/Narva +50's. They'll last several years and "work" in the DL reflectors.

The +80's on the other hand - last six months :)

Also, headlight relay kit and adjusting the lights will help as well. Stock the DL headlights are suitable for spotlighting critters in trees. Way high and point too far left and right.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I have SS bulbs in both the Vstrom and my Ranger. I get better light and haven't had to replace a bulb in either vehicle.
6th season with the bike and 5th year with the Ranger.
Lynda noticed a good difference with both her single headlight bikes with the SS upgrade.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Do you have a link to the bulbs you are using? I've never used HID's in any of my vehicles, so I'm curious about the difference between them and regular ol' halogens.
Ebay is loaded with HID links. For the bike, you need "bi-xenon" H4 bulbs and digital slim ballasts. 4300k is the color temp for daylight. Higher temp is bluer, lower is yellower.

Since the last time I bought any, there are now AC ballasts and bulbs as opposed to the earlier DC version. I bought a set of AC for the 2012 bike but haven't started on the electrical work yet.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I have SS bulbs in both the Vstrom and my Ranger. I get better light and haven't had to replace a bulb in either vehicle.
6th season with the bike and 5th year with the Ranger.
Lynda noticed a good difference with both her single headlight bikes with the SS upgrade.
The Silverstars are a whiter color than other bulbs I've tried, and that I liked very much, but I've burned out more than four of them in a short time. I'm sure the EB relay harness had something to do with it since it puts more voltage at the bulb socket.

I was getting 17k miles out of a bulb, max.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I've never used HID's in any of my vehicles, so I'm curious about the difference between them and regular ol' halogens.
If the HID bulbs work in strom reflectors without excessive glare to on coming drivers, great. The problem is that ordinary headlights are designed for the halogen bulb filament to be in the optical center of the reflector, and whether that particular model bulb is made with a crosswise or lengthwise filament matters in the design of the light. The HID bulb doesn't have the filament, so its lighting doesn't exactly match the reflector, thus glare in many cases.

Reactions: CodeSlow

·
Registered
276 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
PIAA

I'm pleased with my PIAA Star White H4 60/55W 110/100W bulbs which have lasted so far for over 60,000km.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had a Sylvania SilverStar bulb in my old Ninja and it was like night and day compared to stock. Ive never used SuperStars, but would imagine them to be similar. I think I had about 20-25k on the bike when I sold it and no issues with the bulb. I might look at the SS for my Vee soon, but I hardly ride at night. I'm a bit spoiled by the HIDs on our Land Rover, but then again, I don't fully trust Lucas electrics.,.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts