StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day all,

Have any of you guys replaced your heahlight bulbs with brighter ones, & if so please give some information on the typeof bulb.
I did here that they can melt the plastic headlight fairing if they are higher than 55w halogen ?.

Oh Vinny I have decided that I will not bring up the WEE/ VEE issue again mate is that OK?. :wink:

If anyone out there who has some good links to bike tests please reply with the link CHEERS.

Its a pitty that the new Stroms have not got shaft drive or even belt drive what are your thoughts on it ?? saves messing around with all that goes with chain maint.
Reply soon Julian, DOWN UNDER.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Actually, last night was the first time I had the chance to ride ni the dark.... it was also raining. I was very impressed with the light provided by the stock lamps. I really like them.

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
Julian,

I am a bit confused as to why you bought a v-strom? It seems, and I may be wrong, that you have very little good to say about the bike...

The bike is generally know to have some of the brightest stock lights available. I might consider replacing the bulbs with whiter bulbs, but only because of the color difference...

The bike does not have shaft drive because it is thousands of dollars less in both cost to buy, and cost of maintenance.

Just my observation.

G'day mate.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
"Oh Vinny I have decided that I will not bring up the WEE/ VEE issue again mate is that OK?."

Seems you just did!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A shaft drive means extra weight, extra expense, occasional major maintenance instead of regular minor maintenance, and big difficulty in changing final drive ratios which has gotten very popular here. A belt drive is a viable idea though.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My riding buddy put in higher wattage bulbs and melted
the plugs that bulbs plug into.

·
Premium Member
793 Posts
Put in a set of Sylvania Silverstars. They are WHITE, and much brighter than stock, although the stock bulbs aren't that bad. The bulbs are H4s, with a metal base. Most autoparts stores sell them, like Pep Boys :wink: .

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have a BMW and I really wish its headlight was anywhere close to what the Wee has. Suzuki did a great job on those lights.

As for a drive shaft: I have that on my BMW and its great...on that 648 pound bike that cost three times the price of my Wee. As for the Wee....give me a chain.

O-ring chains are great. They really don't need much more than some light and easy attention from time to time. They last a LONG-LONG time on modern motorcycles, and they are pretty darn dependable. Personally I prefer the chain to the belt drives. I have heard of people having belts shred out in the middle of nowhere as a result of a small stone or other object getting in the belt. Also, they are not that easy to change on many bikes.

If you don't like the Vstom, get something that suits you more. Personally after 42 years of bikes I find that for its few and minor shortcomings (that windshield! Less than best front forks) it has to be about the best bargain in the motorcycle world.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear fatalerror,
You are wrong about me bagging the V-Strom Iam happy with it but I do a lot of night riding & where I work there is a lot of ROO's so the standard lights are ok maybe be you do not ride at night ?, but I thought someone in Forum land would have changed there lights.

The question on shaft drive was a reasonable one.....
It seems like you can can buy the V-strom's over in the States a lot cheaper than here.

Cheers from Julian DOWN UNDER.

·
Registered
961 Posts
spongebob218 said:
Put in a set of Sylvania Silverstars. They are WHITE, and much brighter than stock, although the stock bulbs aren't that bad. The bulbs are H4s, with a metal base. Most autoparts stores sell them, like Pep Boys :wink: .
I put in the same bulbs they work great, I rode the V-Strom in Baja at night with 2 1150GSA's 1 KTM950 and a 100GSPD with aux lights, the v-strom easily had the best lights, the rest had to follow me to see where they were going.

·
Registered
961 Posts
spongebob218 said:
I put in the same bulbs they work great, I rode the V-Strom in Baja at night with 2 1150GSA's 1 KTM950 and a 100GSPD with aux lights, the v-strom easily had the best lights, the rest had to follow me to see where they were going.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
julian, if you had gotten the DL1000 your lights would be a lot better!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Just Kidding!!

The Sylvania Silverstars are great. I have one on my other bike, and it made a huge difference. Regardless, the VStrom has brighter lights than most vehicles I have owned. Heck, today driving back home in the rain in my pickup (hey, it's only been sitting for a month now... ;)), I thought the darn headlights were not working, having been so used to the Strom lights! I've considered aux lights on my Strom, but ya know... its just so darn good as it is...

As for the chain, I think a belt drive would be nice, like the Buell Ulysses has (they say in their testing they couldn't hurt it offroad, and it has no scheduled replacement), but eh... it's just not that big of a deal to work on the chain once in a while.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I agree about the headlights, my other bike is a klr650 that I put a silverstar in because its light was horrible, then I bought a drz400s light was as good as klr with silverstar, but the dl has better lights than any bike i ever seen. It's lights are better than lights on wifes truck also.

as for shaft or belt drive options. Shaft would have put cost higher than I would have wanted to pay. Belt I probably would not have even considered it, just a preference.

·
Registered
852 Posts
beartrooper,

On the KLR650, the reason you don't have a whole bunch of illumination is that the wiring designers of that bike have it all wrong!

Stock, you will have about a 2.5 volt loss between the battery and the headlight. This is due to all the routing of small gauge wire being run to the high / low beam switch. This, along with a few other issues, is the reason for the great imitation the KLR does of a 60's Brit bike with Lucas - Lord of Darkness - electrics.

The best way to fix that is run a pair of wires directly (fused of course) to a pair of relays. Then use the existing wiring harness to power either the low beam or high beam relays. This way the headlight will get full voltage and you can see riding at night on your KLR.

There are a few folks that make and sell replacement harnesses if you are interested in plug and go.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
283 Posts
yeah i've looked into making a harness for the klr, but up until i bought the v-strom it was what i rode every day and done very little night riding. now that i have the v-strom my wife rides the klr and she leaves for work in day light and gets home in daylight, so i will just hold off until it gets to cold for her to ride and tear into it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts