StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a headlight aiming specification for the first generation DL650?

Or is it by trial and blinding error.

I've searched far and wide and have found naught.

·
Registered
710 Posts
In Texas, low beam set at 150', High beam at 450'. Not sure how this is measured. Look up vehicle inspections at Txdot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
In the past, I've adjusted my previous bikes H4's using the method similar to what they do on cars as described in this article.
I used a 25 feet distance.
How to Adjust Your Headlights - Aim Your Headlights - Popular Mechanics
I taped out a horizontal line on the garage door at the height that was the same as the height of the headlight bulbs (rider weight included) and then adjusted accordingly.

Ray B.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Set them as high as you can without getting a lot of flashes from oncoming drivers.

If the high and low seem to diverge greatly, check that the bulb is correctly seated in the housing.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Pick a wall where you can locate the bike perpendicular to the wall about 20 feet away. Place a horizontal mark
on the wall two (2) inches lower than the height to your bike's H4 bulbs from the ground.

The headlight beam (on low beam) should be flat on the top, and may rise on the right. Adjust the headlight so
that the top of the flat beam is just at the mark (2 inches down at 20 feet).

Horizontal adjustment should put the beam directly ahead of the centerline of the bike. I adjusted the right bulb
farther to the right, minimiziing the beams overlap, to put more light where tired cagers or perky deer may lurk.

Also, How do I adjust the headlight beam?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Remember to do the adjustment with at least an equivalent weight in the saddle to you. The bike geometry changes with suspension compression.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Remember to do the adjustment with at least an equivalent weight in the saddle to you. The bike geometry changes with suspension compression.
It's easiest for me to do it in the saddle.

I couldn't find any documentation on headlight aiming for the V-Strom.

I know someone who was pulled over for mis-aimed headlights (probably just a fishing expedition by the LEO) and it got me to thinking,"When is it in spec. if there's no spec?"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts