StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing my standard H4 halogen headlamp bulbs with LEDs. I did some searching on the forums and couldn't seem to find a discussion that wasn't more than a couple of years old. Since the technology is ever-changing, I thought I'd start an updated topic. [If anyone knows of a more recent discussion already ongoing, please simply link below]

My main question:
  • Is there a direct-swap option on the market that doesn't require modification?
  • What are some recommended brands/models?
  • How's the life-span?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Reactions: WANDRR

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Most of the LEDs seem to have some type of cooling fan. Is the heat generated really that high, and if so how will that affect the housing?

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
I've used both the fan type and the heat sinc. No problem with either.

·
Registered
168 Posts
The kind that lifts & separates...

Actually
Probably the reflector

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
Hola, I can't believe how many things get over thought. I got $25 POS LED's from China and they've been working now for a year or so. CE RoHS something, something. My charging voltage is up at 14.6 when riding and doesn't vary like it did with the original H4 load.
They have a fan and installing them was amazingly easy. I wondered about the stock light boot fitting over the new shape. No sweat.
This is on an 04 Wee, 1st generation with a limited electrical output. So any electrical savings is good. i did do the Eastern Beaver wiring and have the cut out switch too.
Anything you can do to enhance the basic Wee electricals can't hurt especially when you get the components at used/low cost prices.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The kind that lifts & separates...

Actually
Probably the reflector

Sent from my LML212VL using Tapatalk
😁 Actually, more like athletic cup aka jock strap!

What does this mean? What determines a proper cup?
Are you referring to the the pattern the low beam emits. Flood vs. Spot?
Yes, if you look at an H4 Halogen bulb you'll see it has a cup under the low-beam filament. This directs the light from this filament up to the top part of the reflector and in conjunction with fluting on the reflector and lens creates the correct cutoff line. Not all LED bulbs had this. Probably most do now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From advrider.com, a long thread:

While the thread relates to a certain brand, like many things the design has been copied by others. Amongst all the usual banter is a good analysis of what makes a good design work. That is the shield that creates the proper low-beam cutoff, and an offset between the low- and high-beam elements.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Most of the LEDs seem to have some type of cooling fan. Is the heat generated really that high, and if so how will that affect the housing?
It's not that they produce that much heat. You can tell just from the watts drawn that they produce a lot less heat.

The problem is that, unlike incandescent light bulbs, the led emitter and associated electronics don't like to be hot. So you need a heat sink and fins and/or fans to remove the excess heat so the led and electronics don't burn themselves out.

This is the same reason that LED bulbs used in enclosed fixtures tend to have much shorter lives than promised (as I've been learning) - the heat builds up inside the fixtures and kills them.

·
Administrator
5,558 Posts
Do not forget that the more recent offerings put smaller LED's in the same position as a halogen filament would be.
I recently fitted these to my bike. AUXITO H4 9003 LED Headlight Bulb 2 Pack High Low Beam 6500K 12000LM Xenon White | eBay

They have a good cut off and smaller LED's, and are a newer type which incorporates the ballast and fan into the bulb with the fan expelling its heat into the headlight, just like a halogen does.
They have an identical base to a normal H4 bulb meaning a straight and simple swap. With my older (5 years) LED's I was unable to reinstall the rubber weather seal and made up a new seal from auto door seal. 12,000 lumens.
So far so good.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I can't believe how many things get over thought.
It's only over-thinking if one doesn't particularly care about potential negative results. Even just 3 years ago my Evitek G6's -- which were considered very good at the time -- still had issues. And many others did, too: lacking a proper cutoff, spilling light in undesirable ways, missing proper heat sinking, poor positioning / angling of the LED, requiring mods to fit the boots, or...well, you get the idea.

That may well have changed in the last year or so, I suppose. But it's certainly worth thinking and asking about bulbs that are designed and work well. There are so many options out there, it's hard to tell in advance what will work well (or won't), and a community assist from those who have tried and know what works (or doesn't) is a big help.

There I go overthinking again...time to zip it up :censored:

·
Registered
15,052 Posts
It's good to do research but sometimes the answer to some questions just isn't there or the information sought isn't described in terms that make sense.
I saw some cheapo LEDs and figured, what the heck. For $25 it was worth a try
The LEDs make road signs light up like a mirror. I don't get flashed at so I guess I'm not blinding anyone. I know the headlights are really bright and white and I can't be confused as a shadow.
Installation was simple once I figured out what I was doing. The cheapo lights save power so my limited charging system isn't being taxed like it was.
I see it as a win/win.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did I buy the wrong bulb?

The NovSight H4 replacement showed up today (pretty impressive turnaround, since I ordered it yesterday afternoon). Here's the issue:

First, is this extra length of wire attached to the base a problem?

Second, it seems the heat fins sit outside the headlamp cavity; I can't seem to figure out how to get the rubber boot back in place without damaging it.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts

The NovSight H4 replacement showed up today (pretty impressive turnaround, since I ordered it yesterday afternoon). Here's the issue:

Second, it seems the heat fins sit outside the headlamp cavity; I can't seem to figure out how to get the rubber boot back in place without damaging it.
The black plastic collar is typically removable.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Yup, turn the plastic collar (the thing with the tabs) counter-clockwise (I think) and pull the bulb back out of the collar. FIRST, though, set the bulb in the plastic collar so its cup under the low-beam array is oriented the same as your H4 halogen bulb. Then you can see how to insert the bulb back into the collar AFTER you have put said collar into place and locked it into the headlight.

·
Administrator
5,558 Posts

1. Nope. It is just an extra few inches of wire.

2. You should be able to part the silver part from the black collar with an anti clockwise twist although a few older designs do not come apart. I needed to make up a replacement waterseal for my LED's 5-6 years ago hence why I recently replaced mine with the ones in post #11.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 24 Posts