1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
319 Posts
Sooo much good riding up in BC. I'm 20 miles outside BC in Washington state and get up there a good bit. Icefields Parkway through Banff and Jasper National Parks is simply spectacular.

·
Super Moderator
13,091 Posts
I have training with work in Salt Lake City in Utah in July. I'm going to ride out then head west and cover the same Sea-to-sky hwy and Duffy Lake road and head back across Canada. Some little details can change but this is essentially the route:

..Tom

·
Registered
480 Posts
Time permitting pop over to the island. When I say "the island" I make it sound like there's only one lol.

Horseshoe Bay ferry to Nanaimo then head north to Cape Scott or as far as you like.

Qualicum, Courtaney/Comox & Campbell River make for some nice touring destinations. Highway 19A is the scenic route for bikers and highway 19 if your in a hurry.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Good stuff, MacDoc. I'm riding to the west coast from the Ironhorse in North Carolina, then up the west coast to B.C. and eventually home to Midland, Ontario. It was nice to see your calculations of costs. Have a great ride!

Larry
I'm impressed Larry. How much time are you allowing for this trip?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have training with work in Salt Lake City in Utah in July. I'm going to ride out then head west and cover the same Sea-to-sky hwy and Duffy Lake road and head back across Canada. Some little details can change but this is essentially the route:

..Tom
That's a good run. Smart move on taking the Yellowhead, the Trans Canada west of Winnipeg gets pretty sleepy. From Denver east you may want to keep an eye out for curves in the road .....there might be some...lol
Enjoy the trip!

·
Registered
99 Posts
+1 on the Sea to Sky Hwy (99) from Vancouver through Lillooet. It is guaranteed to wow you. A word to the wise: I think it was July or even August when I did it- I was uncomfortably hot around Vancouver. Stopped north of Whistler in Pemberton. Continued north before dawn the next day and got a frost warning light and frost on my windshield. Taught me to pay closer attention to elevation year round. Note to self: The west has some serious mountains. The road and scenery were great. Very little traffic north of Whistler.

Vancouver island is closer to home so I've seen more of it. Not a fan of cities but I like Victoria. Good place to park the bike and walk a bit. Going west through Sooke, Port Renfrew and across the island past Lake Cowichan is a good loop. It is 100% pavement; a recent development I think.

Another island favorite is between Parksville and Ucluelet/Tofino. This is a very fun ride, particularly if you are an early riser. I like to get on this road early so I'm not looking at the back of an RV and hoping for a passing zone the whole time, at least on the way over.

That being said: From what I've seen, you can't go wrong in BC.

·
Registered
480 Posts
+1 on the Sea to Sky Hwy (99) from Vancouver through Lillooet. It is guaranteed to wow you. A word to the wise: I think it was July or even August when I did it- I was uncomfortably hot around Vancouver. Stopped north of Whistler in Pemberton. Continued north before dawn the next day and got a frost warning light and frost on my windshield. Taught me to pay closer attention to elevation year round. Note to self: The west has some serious mountains. The road and scenery were great. Very little traffic north of Whistler.

Vancouver island is closer to home so I've seen more of it. Not a fan of cities but I like Victoria. Good place to park the bike and walk a bit. Going west through Sooke, Port Renfrew and across the island past Lake Cowichan is a good loop. It is 100% pavement; a recent development I think.

Another island favorite is between Parksville and Ucluelet/Tofino. This is a very fun ride, particularly if you are an early riser. I like to get on this road early so I'm not looking at the back of an RV and hoping for a passing zone the whole time, at least on the way over.

That being said: From what I've seen, you can't go wrong in BC.
Indeed, it is paved.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Vancouver Island

Time permitting pop over to the island. When I say "the island" I make it sound like there's only one lol.

Horseshoe Bay ferry to Nanaimo then head north to Cape Scott or as far as you like.

Qualicum, Courtaney/Comox & Campbell River make for some nice touring destinations. Highway 19A is the scenic route for bikers and highway 19 if your in a hurry.
Vancouver Island has some great day rides or overniters.

1. Pacific Marine Circle Route
2. Tofino-Ucluelet Long Beach from Nanaimo Parksville
3. Campbell River to Gold River
4. Campbell River to Port Hardy

If you're heading to Port Hardy you may want to look into taking the BC Ferry Discovery Route to Bella Coola and take the infamous 'Freedom Road' through the valley, up the hill (gravel) and 200 kms of the Chilcotin.

And then there's the Duffey Lake route on the BC Mainland, Spences Bridge to Merritt, Merritt to Summerland, Summerland to Vernon, Vernon through the Monashee Mtns to the West Kootenays, New Denver-Kaslo, Kaslo to Balfour, across Kootenay Lake to Creston and follow Hwy 3 through the Crowsnest Pass (southeast BC Rocky Mtns) into Alberta and Glacier National Park.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Brilliant thanks ....getting close now so I can begin planning day trips

·
Registered
667 Posts
from Calgary ride down to Longview then hwy 40 to Kananaskis. Then Icefields Parkway North. Alternatively, take 1A from Cochrane and stay on the North side of the river.
Revelstoke to New Denver is nice.
New Denver to Kaslo (hwy 31A) is exceptional.
Hwy 3 along the Southern border is very nice, including 3B
5A Princeton to Merrit is very good.

As mentionned, on Van Island, the roads to Gold River and Tofino are very nice (carefull going to Tofino, many distracted drivers).

If you have time, going North of Smithers, 37A to Stewart is very good.

Be aware that it can snow in Mountains in June. Keep an eye out on the weather 2-3 days out.

Have fun!

Sent from my SM-T590 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yup - got a nice snow squall in mid June on the Glacier Ride to the Sun.
I'm not returning till mid June via the higher routes and will plot the weather and the wind. :D
Tofino road is brilliant

Thanks for tips.
Anyone near Salmon Arm BC let me know if you want to ride your fave on pavement areas.
I'll be day tripping out of there for 2 weeks

Won't be going as high as Stewart. Was lovely tho - Brats with signs :D

·
Registered
735 Posts
The Crow's Nest Pass is a great ride, as is the Meritt-Spences Bridge highway. Pretty much any road in the BC mountains is a great ride, some of the best riding is in the middle of the mountains, around the Nelson/Nakusp area.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Out in a small town near Salmon Arm.

Popular area for motorcycles - dozens out riding. Of course it's a sunny Sunday. So nice to be parked in one spot for two weeks and to enjoy the bike without luggage..

Was very glad I had the CB500x as I was flashing for fuel at the top of the Rogers Pass quite unexpectedly it was only 560 km to my destination in Falkland and the bike has a huge range. I filled up about 10km out of Calgary and figured I'd fill up again on the other side of the pass.
Took a break for something to eat at A&W - was parched and hungry and they had free refills so two cold giant mugs of root beer got me rehydrated plus a teen burger and I was good to go.
Noticed a sign as I was pulling out that "no fuel for 146 km" ignored it .....oops.
It should say no fuel for 146 km of which 80 is seriously uphill and often against the wind.
Since it was getting late into the day and I was riding into the sun I was not paying attention to fuel gauge and just riding normally between 90 kph and 120kph as the traffic moved. Was gawking at the scenery but not stopping for many pics as I had 550 km to cover to the AirBnb and did not want to deal with deer ( as it turned out I got in just as the sun went down at 8.30 local time and did see a couple of gorgeous deer grazing maybe 50 m from the secondary road that led to Falkland.

Back to the pass....all of a sudden my brain registered I had flashing fuel gauge. Oddly enough I had just read a thread on it that it's counterintutive as to what it means but I didn't think it meant I could get the 65 km to Revelstoke....and there was nothing inbetween. Was kicking myself for not bringing the siphon at that point.

Well for every uphill there is a downhill and I feathered the throttle all the way down to Revelostoke and as it turned out ...had a liter left....the thing just sips fuel. Turns out I did get 465 km on that tank ..one time I was glad to "top it up".

The CB500x is easy to fill up without getting off the bike...something I appreciated as that pillion seat bag was a pain for me to get a leg over.

That said ...it discouraged getting off and stretching so I had a more than usual sore butt and back ( no kidney belt ).

In general tho it was a satisfying day starting at 9 am in Toronto, fly to Clagary and ride 560 km through spectacular scenery to a lovely AirBnb with everything I need walkable.
Between Planets -Single Room- Falkland - Houses for Rent in Falkland, British Columbia, Canada

I rode the 35 km to Vernon to pick up a charger I forgot and the bike felt good with no luggage on it. Vernon is a nice size town

Took it easy today - back was tight as I forgot my kidney belt ....converted a Givi tank bag accessory and it worked fine today so will help tomorrow. So nice to not have to ride with luggage.

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
I think any road you pick will be fine as long as it's not the Coquihalla. If you're passing through that area take any other road. The Coke is an alpine super speedway prone to snow squalls and asshat drivers. Yes, it is scenic but at 130kmh you have other things to pay attention to and any alternative is just as scenic. Some of my best trips have been when I've had to detour off the Coke because of tanker trucks on fire or chemical spills or multi-vehicle pile-ups. Any other road.

Too bad you're not doing non-pavement. The best routes involve some of that.

One of my top pavement votes is the ride out to Port Renfrew. Like all of those twisty roads, they're best done early before the RV's and Alberta plates get underway. From there to Cowichan is lovely as well and makes a great loop via Victoria or Nanaimo.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Thanks - riding mainly for photo ops and relaxing but twists always welcome. Glad I'm able to do weekdays >:)

Tomorrows plan

·
Registered
431 Posts
West Side Rd is a great ride. From the north it starts off in a wide valley down the west side of Okanagan lake. Turns into a nice twisty road. Stop at Fintry Provincial Park look around the old farm and hike to the falls. It bypasses Vernon and Kelowna. Comes out onto 97 just south of the bridge. It starts just east of the racetrack you pass on the way to Vernon. You will enjoy the #6 east of Vernon. Road it on Saturday. Starts in the Coldstream Valley and gets twisty past Cherryville. More so past the summit. There is a bit of gravel on the chip sealed part and on a few corners where trailers cut the tight corners. Lots of spots to pass and is quiet during the week.

·
Registered
431 Posts
oh, and if you are eating in Nakusp the Leland Hotel has a nice patio overlooking the lake. On the main street you end up on (Broadway) make a left on Third and its on the right at the end of the street.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts