StromTrooper banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hey Big Boy...I would truly appreciate a pdf of your best routes. I am hoping to have my new V in a few weeks and if weather permits I have about a week of vacation to burn and would love to take some nice rides during break-in.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Hey Big Boy...I would truly appreciate a pdf of your best routes. I am hoping to have my new V in a few weeks and if weather permits I have about a week of vacation to burn and would love to take some nice rides during break-in.
Hey Steve,
PM me with your email address and I'll send you some PDFs of my favorites. I tried posting them here BUT my PDF files are larger than allowed.
Big Boy

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
Just got back form a 4 day trip to meet some friends in Johnson City TN. I found NC route 80 to be a great section of roads with the devils whip portion being especially great tight technical riding. Its like the dragon but tighter more technical and way less traffic. The dragon is nice but there are 1,000 other better less traveled roads in the area.

·
Premium Member
3,463 Posts
Just got back form a 4 day trip to meet some friends in Johnson City TN. I found NC route 80 to be a great section of roads with the devils whip portion being especially great tight technical riding. Its like the dragon but tighter more technical and way less traffic. The dragon is nice but there are 1,000 other better less traveled roads in the area.
I tend to disagree to a point. 129 is better, or should I say unique than many due to it's banked design along with just about every curve radius being different. Having to do a direction changeover while coming out of one 160 degree curve into another while on top of almost a 3' high narrow crown tends to get your attention. Of course this was all before they reduced the speed limit and the road became a magnet for all sorts of clowns, car clubs, cruisers and knee dragging racers, so in that regard, yes there are way better roads to ride. It is a fantastic road that has been ruined by overuse and the frequent crashes. It's almost my backyard and I have not ridden it since 2000 & have no plans to do so.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I still ride it now and then but only on weekday mornings . And I cross my fingers . The Dragon will always be a unique spectacle and it is a crazy , fun ride . And , yes , it's those tight steeply banked turns ( there had to be a biker on the crew that built that road ).
All good fishing spots ...all good hunting areas ... all good roads ....become way too popular. Who knows ...next year you may have to pay and wait in line to ride it !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Any motorcyclist should ride Deal's Gap. It is a unique experience with tight, banked corners, but riders should seek out the less crowded ones, too. From my last trip there, it seemed to me there's a lot better, less traveled roads in the area.

When I rode to TN and NC, I went to Deal's Gap, Cherohala Skyway, and rode other sections along the Blue Ridge. Some of the best roads I found were off the beaten path.

Example: If you do hit the Blue Ridge Parkway, consider getting off the Parkway and riding the "Devil's Drop" -- aka NC 151.

This is a road that takes you off the Blue Ridge and down in elevation. It has a lot of technical turns coming off the mountain, and did not have the crazy traffic that the Dragon had when I did it.

For me, the "Devil's Drop" was really good and a different riding experience than the Dragon's Tail -- as did many of the other random roads I ventured down.

·
Super Moderator
16,870 Posts
I'm quite the fan of West Virginia personally, roads are every bit as good and practically no traffic or tourist activity. The dragon is fun to ride, but for me it's just not that fun anymore due to all the traffic and folks riding/driving who SUCK and are a danger to others. For me I love Moonshiner 28 and back of the dragon, I'd go down there just to ride those roads, plus several roads down to Suches GA are amazing as well. Best to just get out and explore in TN/NC, some of the very best roads are the county roads.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Big B - PM me with your email address and I'll forward you a PDF of the West Virginia "Extreme Twisties" book riding roads.
Big Boy

Attachments

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm about an hour from the start of the good roads in WV and spend a lot of time riding in this great state. A couple years ago we made friend with a crew of riders from Johnson City TN and have been down several time to visit and be shown around. I can tell you the roads in east TN and western NC are nothing short of amazing. If all three states were the same distance I'm not sure I choose.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I always ride the Dragon when going to Deals Gap. But I take it east on Thursday afternoons going and west on Sunday morning leaving. If we get there at a peak time, we just continue south and take the Cherohala Skyway into Robbinsville.

Sure there are many, great, lightly traveled roads but part of the enjoyment for me is seeing and meeting other riders. If I wanted to enjoy lightly traveled twisty roads I could just stay around the house.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I was just down that way a couple of weeks ago. Hit many of the roads mentioned here, including The Tail of the Dragon, The Back of the Dragon, The Rattler, The Devil's Drop, and the Blowing Rock Hwy.

I think the initial climb up Blowing Rock was as technical a road as I've ridden. More so than The Tail, due to the complete lack of shoulders and, in many areas, a drop off the edge of the pavement into a ditch.

The Back of the Dragon was a good road, too - I actually faded out my brakes coming down the second last mountain drop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains to Robinsville, NC, and the Foothills Parkway from Chilhowee to Gatlinburg. These are both great rides with beautiful scenery. Fontana dam is another good destination in that area if you have time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just stayed at the Comfort Inn in Maggie's Valley (good price, clean, and with swimming pool and spa). The road from it to Cherokee is a great twisty one, though a bit busy. In Maggie's Valley there is a nice motorcycle museum. In and near Cherokee there are are some nice places to visit, including the Indian museum and village, and a couple of water falls. You'd be close also to a National Park (which I did not visit). BRP entry/exit is also right between Maggie's Valley and Cherokee...

Then do a loop, including Dragon's Tail and the Cherohala Skyway and Rt 143....BRP is also great, including a side road called Diamondback NC State rt 226A.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just stayed at the Comfort Inn in Maggie Valley (good price, clean, and with swimming pool and spa). The road from it to Cherokee is a great twisty one, though a bit busy. In Maggie Valley there is a nice motorcycle museum. In and near Cherokee there are are some nice places to visit, including the Indian museum and village, and a couple of water falls. You'd be close also to a National Park (which I did not visit). BRP entry/exit is also right between Maggie Valley and Cherokee...

Then do a loop, including Dragon's Tail and the Cherohala Skyway and Rt 143....BRP is also great, including a side road called Diamondback NC State rt 226A.
Fixed it for ya'. The museum is Wheels Thru Time.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Great video!!! There was a surprising lack of traffic on the Dragon. That's a good thing!!! :thumbup:

21 - 40 of 43 Posts