StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on heading that way next Wednesday. Probably gonna ride the Dragon and Cherahola Skyway on Thursday or Friday if anyone is interested. Also plan on riding other roads in the area (would love to do some gravel or 4WD if anyone wants to show me some). Heading back on Saturday or Sunday.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Having ridden "The Dragon" decades ago, I would skip it. IMO, it is not a good road or a good ride. It is simply a novelty. There are MANY better roads/rides in the area. If you MUST do it, probably better to do it Thursday. Could be more users taking a longer weekend and starting it on Friday.

The Skyway is a FANTASTIC ride. Nice curves, nice road surface, nice scenery.

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Having ridden "The Dragon" decades ago, I would skip it. IMO, it is not a good road or a good ride. It is simply a novelty. There are MANY better roads/rides in the area. If you MUST do it, probably better to do it Thursday. Could be more users taking a longer weekend and starting it on Friday.

The Skyway is a FANTASTIC ride. Nice curves, nice road surface, nice scenery.
I love the Dragon, all depends on "when" you ride it. :wink2: But yes there are so many great roads in that entire area, full tank of gas and get to exploring!!!!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Rt 28 between Franklin and US74, and Wayah Rd are 2 of the best roads in the that area. Hard to go wrong really.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rt 28 between Franklin and US74, and Wayah Rd are 2 of the best roads in the that area. Hard to go wrong really.
I hesitated to ride the Dragon when I was in the area a few years back, but am sure glad I did. I loved it! Also loved Wayah Rd, thanks. Yep, I'm not afraid to drive down a road to see where it goes...

·
Administrator
17,543 Posts
Route 28 is a must ride all the way to SC.......my favorite road by far!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dragon

I rode the Dragon on my last x-country ride. It was a lot of fun, but we have many roads like it in northern California. I recommend you ride it, but as one person said, do it on a week day as it gets stupid on weekends. I also found 28 to 74 to be an absolutely wonderful treat. If I ever get back that way, I want to check out more of those roads around Deals Gap.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you have time get a copy of Butler Motorcycle Maps for the area. It shows many of the other roads in the area that are great to ride on. As others have said the Dragon is great but it is just one of many really great roads in the area. The hardest part is trying to get as many great rides done in the limited amount of time you have in the area.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the map a few years ago when I was in the area, thanks to a kind rider. Leaving in the a.m. Contact me if you want to ride Tuesday or Wednesday...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I live in the vicinity of the BR parkway. If you swing by the BR parkway in the Blowing Rock/Boone area there's a good stretch of road we call "the snake"; the end of 421 out toward Bristol TN. It goes through Shady Valley. Nice and twisty. I've heard some people enjoy it better than the tail of the dragon. If you head this way let me know, I would love to catch a ride with a fellow Strom rider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Some awesome twisty gravel/dirt roads are easily connected by amazing paved roads:
This is a map of Otter Creek Rd/Telico Rd - which intersect the western portion of Wayah Rd: https://goo.gl/maps/bfyQdrD28Ru
This is a map of River Rd and North River Rd, which intersect the western edge of the Cherohala Skyway: https://goo.gl/maps/hJPez3LAyYs
This is a map of Cove Creek Rd as it links up to TN32, where Cove Creek is not paved and TN32 in the north is immaculately paved: http://goo.gl/maps/r9mCB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts