StromTrooper banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, well none of the riding buddies will go with me this weekend. But I am still heading up in the morning to go ride the BRP for the day. :thumbup:
If you see a black DL1000 with Givi cases (I know, that narrows it down just a bit) and a fat old white haired guy at one of the pull offs, come over ans say hi. Black riding gear...just what I had before I got the DL. Not trying to look like a Harley outlaw...:biggrinjester: I am not sure where I will be starting out but it will either be near the Asheville airport or at the NC 215 intersection. Heading towards Cherokee and back. If the traffic is bad, I will be hitting the backroads for some more fun. :jawdrop:

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
I just did the entire BRP , all 467 miles of it, from Cherokee to Waynesboro. The view from Grandfather Mountain is nice.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
How was it?

I've never been before, but I'm doing it and the Skyline Parkway from October 12th to 14th on my way back from the Barber Museum / Vintage Fest ...I'll be camping at Willville Bike Camp near Meadows of Dan and then in Shenandoah the 2nd night... totally looking forward to it.

I'll keep an eye out for the grandfather mountain

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I ran into some COLD rain on 178 before I ever got to the parkway. headed back since I don't have cold weather gear.... So, I never got there...the only rain in the state was going up my path according to radar on the blackberry. I might try again this weekend. I have ridden it lots of times before but I like to make one ride when the leaves are changing and hopefully not too many motorhomes on the BRP. Never know. We have had 2 excellent rides on the BRP early this year, almost no traffic and no LEO's either.... makes for lots of fun!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know yet! I guess I can see if there are any web cams working in the area, well tomorrow...kind of dark now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I see why he was trying to get 20 posts.... I can't even READ the for sale section now... says it is private.

What happened....boo hoo... :confused:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I rode the NC side of the Parkway on the 30th of Sept. The weather was not the greatest but it was better than being at work. :mrgreen:

A few friends and I did the Dragon the day before with perfect weather. Funny how quickly the weather can do a 180. :yikes:

Just a few picts from the parkway.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now I really want to go! I am going to try again this weekend... have to watch the weather to pick a day but I am going (to try) to go !

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Now I really want to go! I am going to try again this weekend... have to watch the weather to pick a day but I am going (to try) to go !
Watch out for the " leaf peepers ".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Go for it

I did the NC part on 10-1 & part of 10-2 as well as some other great roads around SMNP. The leaves were just starting to turn. It should be great.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts

Having the right riding gear is so important. Even with the bad weather I still had a good time riding. I just had to slow down and be extra careful with the wet roads and fog.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally made it up there Sunday! It was perfect weather on the parkway, traffic not too bad but I could only do about 20 miles before the 30 mph peepers:furious: got to me and I took some back road twisties for fun. Caught up with some motards at one point...which was surprising on the DL1000,:confused: I was not pushing that hard !! Guess they were going slow.
Leaves have not all changed and fallen yet, so a few more weeks of riding before it gets slick! :thumbup:

Did see one other dark DL at a gas station near Lake Toxaway, but did not stop since it was late. Stopped at the same station coming back and some young guys riding some bodywork challenged older bikes came over and asked some questions about the bike, said their DAD! had one too...now feeling much older,:var_15::var_15: I found a quiet twisty road to get back (faster, just to feel young again) ... ok ok, I am old enough to be their dad but still !!! :furious:

·
Registered
134 Posts
My vacation plans fell apart at the last second so I think I'm going to give the BRP a try next week. I plan to head out from Maine on Sunday and ride the highways down to Virginia on the first day and then spend the next 3 days exploring Skyline Drive, the BRP, and Rt 441.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey! My thread is back!!! :hurray:

Have fun Racer and Burger! I did.

If I can swing it, I might be going back up this weekend too ! But more likely to be sticking closer to home and maybe dirt biking ...

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Yea I was wondering where it went too..

Glad that the weather finally cleared and let you ride. :beatnik:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I made the long trip from Maine to Virginia yesterday. After spending the night in Winchester, VA, I made my way down Skyline Dr and BRP to Boone, NC. Tomorrow, I'll be continuing down the BRP and rt 441 into TN before I start working my way back north.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts