StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I leave tomorrow for a 7 day ride from Calgary to Montana, Idaho, Washington and back. This will be the longest bike trip I've taken, and the first one on my 07 Vee. I was looking at the forecast for Montana and Idaho and it looks like it's going to be a hot one. My question is, what do you do to prevent butt rash and chaffing? My Vee has a stock seat and I'll be wearing Draggin cargo pants. I don't want to spoil my ride with something that could be prevented, or at least kept to a minimal. Any tips?

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Bicycle shorts and a beaded seat can make hot weather more bearable. In this heat though I wouldn't expect to much from anything. Standing periodically can cool the butt too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have never suffered from so-called "monkey butt". Can someone tastefully but graphically describe this? I've only done day trips of up to 6 hours a day in broken up intervals (every hour and a half to 2 hours), but soon will be doing a 3+ day tour (my first multi-day ride) and want to be prepared.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Use your rear pegs as highway pegs

·
Registered
242 Posts
Use your rear pegs as highway pegs
^ this helps. It's wierd at first, but comfy. Take breaks, and bring some baby wipes and talc powder and apply generously before the ride. Keeping dry back there helps.

Alexi

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the words of wisdom. A friend also suggested Vaseline, some of his road racing buddies used it. I guess it's all part of the experience, finding the problems and then solutions.

·
Registered
103 Posts
monkey butt

mountain equipment co-op, wicking underwear,$40.00 a pair but well worth it.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I have never suffered from so-called "monkey butt". Can someone tastefully but graphically describe this?...
+1.

Is it a rash caused by sweat? Or is it bruising from friction (sliding around)? .. or maybe some kind of thrombosis or something?

FWIW, I've always ridden on a sheepskin seat cover, which puts a bit of air between your backside and the vinyl. Warm in winter, cool in summer.

I'm wondering if that's been saving me from MB all along.

·
Registered
136 Posts
+1.

Is it a rash caused by sweat? Or is it bruising from friction (sliding around)? .. or maybe some kind of thrombosis or something?

FWIW, I've always ridden on a sheepskin seat cover, which puts a bit of air between your backside and the vinyl. Warm in winter, cool in summer.
Think of it as adult diaper rash. And yes, it's caused by heat and sweat and friction. It's a irritation of the skin in the area that contacts the seat (and immediate vicinity). The AMB powder helps absorb the sweat, and it also contains calamine to prevent itching. Your sheepskin seat cover or a beaded cover also help as you noted by circulating air between you and the seat.

·
Registered
418 Posts
That's why sheepskins, vaseline, udder cream, wicking underwear, and bike shorts all work to some extent - pick your poison. Anything to reduce friction, heat, and/or sweat in the area. Some folks are more sensitive to the heat vs. chafing, others have pressure spots, some get sweatier than others.

I used to race mountain bikes (you wanna see chafing?) so I'm comfy in bike shorts under my pants when touring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I HIGHLY recommend beads for long hot rides, it's akin to A/C for your backside. Over a year on my bead rider and I still love it! They are great when it's raining as well. The water won't pool under your backside, the beads allow the water to run off.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Anti Monkey Butt Powder, bicycle shorts(Aerostitch has version that's a bit shorter in the legs; very nice), and an Airhawk seat cushion. These things work for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts