StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planned departure for our Nfld run, from Manitoba is 19 August. Will be travelling down thru the US and crossing into Ontario at Sarnia. Will keep a sharp eye out for my fellow StromTroopers.

Our plan is to be in Ottawa at the end of our 2nd day of riding, this way we can incorporate the Saddle Sore portion of the Iron Butt.

Day 3 will be in Quebec City, really looking forward to visiting that city!

Day 4 should take us over to St. John, and the ferry across to Digby. We will then head south and come up into Halifax, following the coast line.

Counting the Days,

Cheers!

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm assuming that you're aware that Quebec City to St John is almost 1000kms?

You sure are planning long days! Hopefully, you'll take the time to visit Quebec City, it is really worth it.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, its only about 700km, so no sweat at all.... :)

My riding buddy and I are very used to putting in days of over 1000km on a regular basis.

Our first day will be our longest at around 1300km.

Unfortunatly our time is limited, we have about 14-15 days to do this run, and there are a few "must see" places, Quebec City being one of them.

We will also spend a few days in Nova Scotia, my old stompin grounds, and then the ferry over to Nfld landing at Port Aux Basques. Will whip over to St. Johns, spend a day or so there and then the ferry from Argentia back to NS.

Maybe we can even hook up with a fellow Stromer along the way.

My buddy rides an 03' Kwacker Vulcan 1600, but he is becoming convinced that the Wee is the way to go. It really grinds his gears that his 1600 cant keep up, and his fuel mileage generally averages 10-12mpg less.

Cheers!

·
Registered
40 Posts
you can't drive a bike within the walled part of the city(we used to but the straight pipes crowd did us in) if you need a guide while in Quebec city just tell me I'll be happy to show you around but it's got to be on weekend or after 5 weekday :(

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
rcacs, I just got home from Cape Breton on Sat. night. It was an awesome ride.

Had lunch at Fredie's Fantastic Fish House Saturday afternoon and rolled into my yard at 2:00am Sun. I think I set some sort of personal record.

14 hrs. from Peggy's Cove, NS to South Ryegate, Vermont

Stopping only for fuel and gas station sandwiches.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hard to beat road food!

hmmmmm

We may just add that fish joint to our agenda

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Diving...

I might just take you up on that offer. We have not set a firm depart date, but will be right around the 19th of August and will be in Quebec City on day 3 of our trip.

Will let you know when we leave, and see if maybe we can hookup for a great tour of your fantastic city!

Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
rcacs said:
Actually, its only about 700km, so no sweat at all.... :)

..., and then the ferry over to Nfld landing at Port Aux Basques. Will whip over to St. Johns, spend a day or so there and then the ferry from Argentia back to NS.

Maybe we can even hook up with a fellow Stromer along the way.
- Make sure you call the ferries in advance and book; you can find the numbers at the Tourist places; I'm in Montreal and rent chalets Laurentiens so let me know if you want to connect. There's an underground parking lot in Old Quebec you can sneak into that was reasonable if memory serves me well. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the tip, we have contacted and recieved information from the Ferry lines.

Cant wait!

Cheers

·
Registered
180 Posts
Actually, as of this tourist season, you CAN ride your bike in the old town in Quebec City. They do watch for "noisy" pipes however.

I was there 3 weeks ago, it's my home town and I was just parking outside the walls when a nice little tourist guide gave me the info.

Cheers

V.

·
Registered
2,809 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry Vordak, I just called the police station just to be sure and everything within the walled part(Vieux Québec) is out of bound to motorcycles, your tourist guide was way out of line and the ticket is 125$.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Ooops,

Guess I got lucky! 2+ hours inside the walls, no ticket!

V.

:wink:

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just returned from our fantastic East coast run yesterday!

Will provide a full account of the Wee's performance in the next day or two.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Facts and figures for my east coast trip:

9200km in 12 days
travelled thru manitoba, north dakota, minnesota, wisconsin and michigan, crossing back into canada at sault ste. marie

average fuel mileage for entire trip was 58.9 mpg (using a 16t sprocket) My best tank was 67 mpg (running at 100kph or less thru the States) and my worst was 47 mgp during a 300km stretch running at 140kph in New Brunswick.

I figure the 16T sprocket was worth about 4 mpg.

average speed was between 115kph and 120kph

Quebec seems to have the fastest drivers, with speeds of 140kph not uncommon on hwy 20 and 40

My rear Tourance now has 19,000km on it, and is still going strong, with 4mm of tread left in the centre. By far the longest lasting tire I have yet had. Very impressed with the Tourance.

Cabot Trail....if you have never ridden it...do so, its incredible

We took some time to visit our Parliment Buildings in Ottawa. The National War Museum was great, and I visited the National War Monument and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, very sombering.

Montreal....yikes..if it was possible to avoid it (unless you want to experience all it has to offer), I would recommend doing so. It is huge, huge, huge.

Quebec City, beautiful. If you cant speak french, try to learn the lingo as very few speak english there.

We took the ferry from St. John over to Digby. Cost for a m/c was about 90 bucks. The voyage is about 3hrs, and was very enjoyable.

We followed the "old" hwy up the east coast to Lunenberg where we enjoyed a lobster supper.

Halifax has much to see and do, if you can, spend a couple of days there.

What can I say about the Cabot Trail?.....it is made for motorcycles, especially bikes that handle like our Wees and Vees.

PEI was very scenic, and costs 16.50 to cross the Conderation Bridge (you only pay to leave PEI).

We really lucked out in the weather department, with only one rainy day.

Our return trip was completely in Canada. Hwy 17 thru North Western Ontario was a great ride, with great scenery and great cafes and diners.

Cheapest gas was 83.9 just outside Ottawa and the most expensive in NW Ontario with prices up around 109.9

Neither my Wee or my riding pals Vulcan 1600 had any problems at all.

I did note that very few fellow riders in the States and Quebec bother to return waves. The Maritimes had nearly a 100% return wave rate. Only spotted 2 other VStroms the entire trip, with both waving.

My Wee was loaded down with Shad 42L side cases, a 39L Krauser top case, and a tent, sleeping bag and air mattress on the seat.

A fantastic trip, and look forward to our Inuvik run next July!

Cheers!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts