StromTrooper banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
I get your drift, but this isn't someone selling a re-branded product or using the logo w/o authorization. The plate has the HD licensed logo, you're just covering it up. If you bought a Ford HD branded pick up, no one would be going after you if you covered up or re-painted the logos.
I get that. There are plenty of blackened Chevy bowties, but those are owned property. The wrinkle here is this is a state issued vehicle registration license plate. I think this might fall under the same type of laws governing money. You can't photo shop your own likeness onto a one dollar bill, even though the denomination markings and serial numbers would still be plainly visible. There is a threshold of enforcement that comes into play- while it is a federal offense to deface money, few people go to jail for putting a penny on a railroad track.
I should hear back from DMV by the end of the week-we'll see what they say.

·
Registered
25 Posts
And that threshold is certainly in play. Most people wouldn't notice, or care. The LEO that pulled you over for say, speeding, likely wouldn't care either, unless you failed the attitude test, in which case it could end up as a fix it ticket like window tinting too dark or a burned out tail light. Risk Vs Reward puts this at pretty low risk, IMHO.

I've seen plenty of modified license plates running around various states with an extra symbol like a hyphen on a vanity plate, etc.

·
Registered
215 Posts
HD is the only thing of note in Wisconsin ;) Besides the extra fee goes towards motorcycle safety programs. Looks like the have been around since 2011, I'm in WI pretty frequently and have never seen one. I suspect they are more common around Milwaukee.
I'm sure that's what the state tells you, but I wouldn't believe it for one second. I'm sure Wisconsin is no different than most others states that are having to search for money to keep their budgets from collapsing under the weight of salaries and benefits of their employees. Oh don't forget the endless list of social programs as well.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Your money do whatever you please!
Im not a Harley guy, but would love to hang one of those on my garage wall with the other old plates that I have up.
Wish I could burn all the Las Vegas Raiders plates I’m seeing now with them relocating here 🤮
Mike
Just wait until your city is overrun with the people that follow that team...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Just wait until your city is overrun with the people that follow that team...
Yeah the guys I know that LEO’s are not looking forward too that!
I did a plate search for the Raiders plate and SUCKS is not available
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
HD is the only thing of note in Wisconsin ;) Besides the extra fee goes towards motorcycle safety programs. Looks like the have been around since 2011, I'm in WI pretty frequently and have never seen one. I suspect they are more common around Milwaukee.
When I rode through WI it should be called the water slide state!
Seemed every hotel had its own little water slide park.
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,822 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Another fun thought. You can't alter the numbers on the plate or the following HD letters, BUT no one would likely care if you put a different emblem over the Harley Davidson emblem to the left. I.E. if you ride a Suzuki, a nice S sticker off ebay or from the dealer perhaps would fit nicely over it. Now you have a plate that supported motorcycling and you have the logo of your brand on the plate instead of the Harley one. I'd totally do this.
And you'd be in violation of Wisconsin State Statute 341.15(3)(c), which makes it a illegal to operate a motor vehicle "with a registration plate in an illegible condition due to the accumulation of dirt or other foreign matter." I guess one could debate whether a sticker makes the plate illegible, but I'd rather not give the police any easy reasons to pull me over.

A friend of mine has caused no small amount of confustimication with KMW stickers on his Concours and KLR.
My previous ride was a Connie, and I was tempted to do this as well, after the umpteenth person asked me "What kind of BMW is that?" I mean, it says 'Kawasaki' in big silver letters right on the tank.:rolleyes:

Nothing yet- maybe Monday.
Things are slow at the DMV...shocking.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just went over to the WI DMV web page for this specialty plate and discovered some interesting facts:
1. The extra cost includes a $25 donation for motorcycle safety programs and activities.
2. HD receives no money from the sale of the plates.
3. They are not available as motorcycle plates.

That last one is a stumper for me. It seems like a no-brainer to make this available as a MC plate, as I could see this being a must-have accessory for the Harley-tisti. And there are already specialty MC plates for U.S. Veterans, so it's possible. But there I go again, trying to make sense of government bureaucratic thinking.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Or you could just park a KMW sticker on top of the HD logo on the plate adorning your Suzuki for the absolute maximum in subtle confuzzlement and confoundment.
I know several members of my Porsche Club chapter who have the official "vintage vehicle" plate on their car. The official plate has a silhouette of a Model T, but they placed a Porsche logo decal over that on the plate and it looks legit. To date, I don't know that any of them have had any issue with the police.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've now gone well past the 48-hr response promise the Wi DMV makes, regarding the legality of changing the design of a license plate. I'm not going to follow up with them, but I'll leave my plates alone. I have plain stock plates on my SUvs and I have a US Veteran MC plate on my DL 650. I think in practice no one is going to get stopped solely for an altered plate, but it may be an added on to other offenses- 30 mph over the limit, BAC 4.4, driving on sidewalk, and oh yeah, Kymco decal covering the Bar and Shield

·
Registered
26 Posts
My state DMV does something pretty unique -- one of the specialty license plates offered is a Harley-Davidson plate. It looks like this:

I'm not aware of any other license plates around the country that promote a private business (other than professional sports teams).

Even though I've never owned a Harley, I've been thinking about getting HD plates for my truck. Not because I'm any sort of Harley fanboy, but because I think it would be cool to have a plate that supports motorcycling in any way. Better than a bumper sticker, IMO.

Any thoughts?
That is cool. How much extra is the plate?

·
Registered
471 Posts
$75-85/yr regular annual registration fee, plus $25 donation to Share The Road, then 15/yr. additional registration. Add another $15/yr for personalized number. All the details & forms here.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Nope, don't do cute specialized plates. Good reason to have a cop check you out. I did have a friend get stopped for that exact reason.
Just got my revewal notice for my 4 bikes, $23 for 2 years each. Not a bad deal I'd say.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts