StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My state DMV does something pretty unique -- one of the specialty license plates offered is a Harley-Davidson plate. It looks like this:

I'm not aware of any other license plates around the country that promote a private business (other than professional sports teams).

Even though I've never owned a Harley, I've been thinking about getting HD plates for my truck. Not because I'm any sort of Harley fanboy, but because I think it would be cool to have a plate that supports motorcycling in any way. Better than a bumper sticker, IMO.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
14,228 Posts
I'm not sure I'd pay the extra fee that my state charges for personalized plates. Especially for a brand I don't own.
Might as well buy the Ford truck with the HD logo on it too and then get the plate.

·
Super Moderator
4,479 Posts
Many dealers in this Australian state (New South Wales) fit plates that have their company name on them - not on the numberplate surround. One doesn't pay extra for these - one probably has to pay to not have a dealer's name - they'd have these in stock but a plate that was clean they'd have to go the registration office to get.

This one shows a car manufacturer name (Holden)

·
Premium Member
572 Posts
So now we put ads on license plates????
No wonder the world is in trouble.
No one sees a problem with this???
HD is the only thing of note in Wisconsin ;) Besides the extra fee goes towards motorcycle safety programs. Looks like the have been around since 2011, I'm in WI pretty frequently and have never seen one. I suspect they are more common around Milwaukee.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Your money do whatever you please!
Im not a Harley guy, but would love to hang one of those on my garage wall with the other old plates that I have up.
Wish I could burn all the Las Vegas Raiders plates I’m seeing now with them relocating here 🤮
Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Many states have a variety of alternate plates for people to select. Generally part of the extra fees for these plates goes to a tax deductible foundation to promote something associated with the plate design. In MS we have a "Look Twice for Motorcycles" plate available, (on our SUV), that gives funds to motorcycle awareness campaigns. There is a staggering array of others for school alumni, associations, etc. LINK I've had Veterans plates on my bikes and an Organ Donor support plate on my car in the past. Some plates are a one time extra fee, others have the extra fee at every renewal. In MS, you can only get vanity plates on the boring standard MS plate. The others get random numbers or number/letter combos.

In OR you paid a fee for the vanity plate, which used to be possible for any style plate, then if you wanted to change your vanity plate, it was only a $3 fee! The cost of getting the new plate printed. I changed my plate for a year when I was the activities director for the local Miata club to "KEEP UP" since I was leading the drives. ;) the next year I changed it back to what I had before. I still had the old plates, but they sent me new ones anyway.

In Wisconsin you can now apply directly to DMV to create your own plate, and get funds from people that choose that plate too. Not cheap, 500 signatures and a set up fee of $15,500. LINK For someone to get a sponsor like HD, no big deal. If Suzuki had a plant in WI, you could probably get them on board, but they manufacture in China and the US corporate offices are in Brea, CA.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In Wisconsin you can now apply directly to DMV to create your own plate, and get funds from people that choose that plate too. Not cheap, 500 signatures and a set up fee of $15,500. LINK For someone to get a sponsor like HD, no big deal. If Suzuki had a plant in WI, you could probably get them on board, but they manufacture in China and the US corporate offices are in Brea, CA.
Well, that explains the explosion in specialized plates offered in our state. Around 10 years ago, I recall reading something that said WI offered over 70 different types of license plates. There's no doubt it's gone up since then.

As for paying money to basically put an ad on my car -- I get how that could turn people off. Heck, I made my living for half of my working life selling advertising, so Then-Me would have slapped Today-Me for even thinking about the idea. I wish our state had a more generic specialized plate to support motorcycling, but at this point, the HD plate is all we have.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
I suppose if you really wanted to have fun, you could slap some HD logos on the sides of the tank, take off the mufflers, deck yourself out is some Harley-Davidson (tm) gear, and go riding with them. Tell them the V-Strom is a V-Rod variant. See how far you'd get.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
If they come in motorcycle size, can you get one for your Suzuki just for extra mind-explodiness?

·
Registered
473 Posts
Here's an Idea-
In Minnesota, If you are convicted of DWI, your sentence may include restricted driving privileges to & from work, day care, etc. For the duration of the sentence, you are required to attach a specially numbered license plates to your vehicle that start with a "W," affectionately known as "whiskey plates." So why not put the logo of the beverage that put you over the .08 legal limit on the plate? Let's see what everybody's getting caught drinking too much of!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Another fun thought. You can't alter the numbers on the plate or the following HD letters, BUT no one would likely care if you put a different emblem over the Harley Davidson emblem to the left. I.E. if you ride a Suzuki, a nice S sticker off ebay or from the dealer perhaps would fit nicely over it. Now you have a plate that supported motorcycling and you have the logo of your brand on the plate instead of the Harley one. I'd totally do this.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
We can go deeper...

There's some joker out there selling "KMW" stickers, with a logo that looks similar to the BMW roundel, but with Kawasaki green instead of blue, and KMW in the lettering.

A friend of mine has caused no small amount of confustimication with KMW stickers on his Concours and KLR.

Anyway, are there any other such mashups out there for Suzukis?

Or you could just park a KMW sticker on top of the HD logo on the plate adorning your Suzuki for the absolute maximum in subtle confuzzlement and confoundment.

Or maybe you can find a Tohatsu Runpet or Marusho Lilac sticker in Japanese or something.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Another fun thought. You can't alter the numbers on the plate or the following HD letters, BUT no one would likely care if you put a different emblem over the Harley Davidson emblem to the left. I.E. if you ride a Suzuki, a nice S sticker off ebay or from the dealer perhaps would fit nicely over it. Now you have a plate that supported motorcycling and you have the logo of your brand on the plate instead of the Harley one. I'd totally do this.
My gut feeling, and a dust up with Etsy and The Motor Company, says it ain't a good idea.
Mrs Motorpsychology sells a variety of themed wedding garters on the craft site Etsy. She at one time had a Harley- themed garter. Etsy threatened to shut her online store down at the behest of HD- copyright infringement and all. The name Harley Davidson and trademark bar and shield design are among the most recognized in the world and their licensed intillectual property is vigorously protected. Our (her) argument was that it was a Harley inspired product, hand made from licensed printed fabric. Nope. can't even give them away so she took down the listing.
Back to the HD plate:
I sent an email to the Wisconsin DMV inquiring if the HD logo could be covered with another brand, a generic motorcycle, motorcyclist or bicycle/bicyclist, as long as the numbers and characters, and the words, "Share The Road" were not covered. after all, there are several highway signs that have the same share the road message and depiction of a stick figure bicyclist. Wi DMV will respond within two business days and I'll post their response.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I get your drift, but this isn't someone selling a re-branded product or using the logo w/o authorization. The plate has the HD licensed logo, you're just covering it up. If you bought a Ford HD branded pick up, no one would be going after you if you covered up or re-painted the logos.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts