StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to buy one of these so I can be sure that the things I'll do myself, I'll do properly. :) Any opinions on whether the Haynes manual or the Clymer manual is better? Or just flip a coin?

Haynes

Clymer

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Actually they complement each other. Them and the factory manual should answer most tech questions.
BMW put a CD for the 800ST I had but it was more designed for the trained tech than the owner mech. Pricey at 100 bucks too when new.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually they complement each other. Them and the factory manual should answer most tech questions.
Thanks. I just don't want to blow my budget; I'll probably get all of them eventually, but I just need one for now.

And by "the factory manual", do you mean the owner's manual (which I have) or the service manual? And if the latter, where can I get it and how much is it?

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Service manual. The owners manual is the little book under the seat. I got my Service Manual. on the forum here for a good price. It can happen.
Don't ask for a download reference. It's Suzuki copyrighted and that's respected here.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I think Suzuki service manuals are really good. Bwetween Haynes and Clymer, I haven't seen specifically for the VStrom, but generally I like Clymer manuals better. Obviously all three is the best solution.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Get the one with the most pics!:grin2: Really have a stack of them and lots factory brand ones. Really I usually like the others better because they often show how to make special tool in stead of having to buy them.All so short cuts. That's were the inter net is so good with sites like this that someone that has done it can walk you through it or tell you its way over your head! Like that ever stops some of us old crazy guys from taking a shot at it. Like I have said before I have way too many hammers to be a good wrench! :wink2:

·
Premium Member
4,863 Posts
Get the Service Manual. It ain't cheap but it is worth every penny.

Watch the For Sale section, contact your local dealer, or any on-line OEM parts site (Ron Ayers, Oneida Suzuki, MR Cycles, Motosport, Rocky Mt ATV, etc.).

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Haynes or Clymer will be fine for most do it yourselfers. The factory shop manual contains all the specs you need for complete rebuilding of engine, like piston to cylinder clearance, valve spring height, etc. Most owners will never use that kind of stuff, and the factory manual won't be as extensive on basic trouble shooting as it is assumed the manual will be used in a shop by professional mechanics. They do have great pictures of everything in pieces, which helps a lot if you're more of a "show me the picture" instead of a "describe it to me" person.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts