StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
First of all, yes, I read the comments in other threads, this post is not about asking a link to a digital download.
I just bought a DL650XT from 2017, and I'm considering buying a manual to learn the details about my bike's maintanence, and help troubleshooting issues while on the road in future trips.

A fellow motorcyclist pointed me to Haynes manuals, apparently really good in terms of the mechanical jobs described, and because they describe tasks from an owner point of view, and not with the prerogative of having access to factory tools / machinery.

However, I could only find a manual for up to the 2013 version of the bike.

Are there any other manuals out there that you recommend? Would a 2013 manual apply to a 2017 bike? (considering the many changes that were made, even from the 2016 model)

Thanks in advance for your opinions!

·
Registered
179 Posts
As the owner of a 2017XT wanting to do my own maintenance, I’ll be keen to see positive responses to this question too.

Sent from my iPhone8

·
Registered
552 Posts
Only thing I have to say about manuals for the average DIY person...most of your work will be very basic. The manuals are overkill for just changing your oil or adjusting your change. You are as well off with your owners manual and maybe some Youtube stuff. That said, I have the factory manuals for each and every bike I have. For me, a long time professioal, I like the factory books better than the "after market" stuff. But that is me.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Hans, that is me as well. To me, the worlds best owner's manual is the factory shop manual. You dont absolutely have to own the factory tools, there are usually work-arounds. But having all the service specs easily accessed alone is worth the money. The non-tech can pick and choose what he wants to tackle, and leave the rest for the professional. I would rate the Haynes manual 2nd to the factory manual, with Clymer better than nothing.

·
Registered
320 Posts
A fellow motorcyclist pointed me to Haynes manuals, apparently really good in terms of the mechanical jobs described, and because they describe tasks from an owner point of view, and not with the prerogative of having access to factory tools / machinery.

However, I could only find a manual for up to the 2013 version of the bike.
Holly cow... I'm so glad to know there's a Haynes manual out for our bikes! That's a great value for $30 bucks! Haynes manuals usually have all the right fluid capacities and torque specs, so I don't see them any less useful than a factory manual, which is much more expensive.

So glad you guys made note of this. thanks a lucsali and gang! :grin2:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the opinions, folks. I'll see if I can get my hands on a factory manual

Holly cow... I'm so glad to know there's a Haynes manual out for our bikes!
being a newbie I can't post links, so here a pseudo URL ;) haynes_com/en-gb/suzuki/dl650/2004-2013

·
Registered
468 Posts
I was about to place an order for a Suzuki Service Manual for my 2018 1000XT, but it looks like it covers a bunch of years. I was hoping it was specific for the new models without having the info for the others mixed in. I've always done my own maintenance, repairs, and modifications, so I should probably order it anyway. (sort of a feeling of "bleeding money" since buying the bike and add-on list)

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
I've had both factory service manuals and Haynes manuals, and found the factory manuals to be superior. Mostly it's a question of production values. My service manuals have always been printed on decent paper, with clear line drawings done by professional illustrators. The Haynes manuals I've used have been printed on what looks like a grade of newsprint, with murky photographs depicting the various procedures, rather than line drawings. No doubt these are all cost saving measures to keep the manuals in the $30.00 range, and the manuals are good for many procedures, but they do lack some detail for more complicated stuff. I've bought factory manuals for both my V-Strom and Super Tenere; they're definitely pricey, but I've found them to be worth it.

Like Hans says, they're overkill if all you want to do is change your oil, bleed your brakes, or maintenance tasks like that. There are lots of Youtube videos on how to so those things. For something more extensive like removing the steering head, or replacing a seal in the final drive, I'd rather have the official service manual with lots of clear illustrations.

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
How do you know they are not legit?
Did you see the number of other manuals listed there? Unless somebody here is selling their real OEM manual or you get it straight from Suzuki, 99% of the time it is a pirated manual and it against the rules here. I deleted all of those links........I'm sure you and others have noticed.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Did you see the number of other manuals listed there? Unless somebody here is selling their real OEM manual or you get it straight from Suzuki, 99% of the time it is a pirated manual and it against the rules here. I deleted all of those links........I'm sure you and others have noticed.
That is less than stellar. It wonder why one of the manufacturers has not filed a lawsuit to shut them down?

Edited to correct spelling mistake

·
Administrator
16,802 Posts
That is less than stellar. It wonder why one of the manufacturers had not filed a lawsuit to shit them down?
Probably same reason as music or movies, almost nothing these days is copyright protected for long.

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
My guess is that the money lost to the manufacturers by pirated service manuals isn't high enough to trigger litigation from the major bike manufacturers. Of course, I have no way of knowing how many service manuals Suzuki sells in a year, but it's got to be substantially less than the volume of say, the latest Nicholas Sparks novel. I'm sure that Suzuki doesn't delve too deeply into service manual copyright violations unless it's widespread and brought directly to their attention. The amount they'd spend sending out DMCA notices to all the sellers of pirated manuals would probably far exceed the amount they make from selling the manuals in the first place.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My guess is that the money lost to the manufacturers by pirated service manuals isn't high enough to trigger litigation from the major bike manufacturers. Of course, I have no way of knowing how many service manuals Suzuki sells in a year, but it's got to be substantially less than the volume of say, the latest Nicholas Sparks novel. I'm sure that Suzuki doesn't delve too deeply into service manual copyright violations unless it's widespread and brought directly to their attention. The amount they'd spend sending out DMCA notices to all the sellers of pirated manuals would probably far exceed the amount they make from selling the manuals in the first place.
Very true. I will not mention a certain country but this country sends over container after container of pirated and counterfeit goods. From Oil Filters to Guchi purses....sometimes the custom agents even catch them. But no customs agent is spending any time tracking down a handful of copied CD/DVDs.

I am interested to see the Quality level of a real Suzuki Manual. My Honda 2010 NT700 and my Honda 2004 CRV service manuals are first rate....wanna know how to take off the brake pads of a 2004 CRV and replace them? The pics are good and the explaination is excellent. What is the torque sequence of the front fork clamps and fittings when putting on the front tire on an NT? Perfectly explained.
The OEM manual for my Yamaha FJR is the worst manual I have every seen in my life. And I have worked on a whole lot of different police two way radios over 30 years as well as lots of bikes and cars....I bought the Haynes for the 2013 FJR even though mine is a 2014. Same bike pretty much. I hope Haynes comes up with a manual at some point for the 2017 XT as it is a whole different animal than the 2016. My XT is magic. I can easily get underway without even touching the throttle! ;)

·
Registered
4,957 Posts
It's weird what companies will get involved in as far as copyright infringement goes.

When I was still in law enforcement, I had a case with some private investigators the were on the payroll of some major companies like Oakley, Sony, etc, who would actually troll the flea markets looking for counterfeit goods. That's almost humorous, thinking about a multinational corporation like Oakley sending out PI's to stroll through the dirt malls looking for "Boakley" sunglasses. Now, this was over 15 years ago, so I don't know if they still do it or not.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought a used 2017 Suzuki 650XT with no manual. so went to local Suzuki dealer to buy an operator manual. They could not order (said no longer making) and told me to download a pirated copy off the internet LOL!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can anyone give me a link to a place to buy the Suzuki factory manual for the 2017 650 xt.
I tried to order one from Suzuki Australia and they don't sell them. Apparently they want to try to keep servicing in house and for most bikes only offer an online version to their dealers.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I think I know the site richlandrick but the one I found doesn't have the 2017+ model.
I am happy to buy the genuine manual but can't find an online seller yet.

·
Administrator
5,367 Posts
Suzuki Motorcycles Australia, in its FAQ section, quotes the following:

Q. "Can I download online a service manual for my motorcycle?
A. No, Suzuki Australia does not provide access to repair or service manuals online in the public domain. Genuine service and owner’s manual are available for purchase through your Suzuki dealer parts department. Please contact an authorised Suzuki dealer to place an order."

They are also available internationally at https://www.genuinesuzukimanuals.com/

If you live distant from your nearest Suzuki dealer phone or email the dealer of your choice. Suzuki has chosen to restrict the widespread availability of service information.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts