StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Fooled around with modifying the front from of the origanal SW Moto's cases that came with the scoot when I bought it. I don't use them enough to add something that will have limited use.
Tire Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Tread

Reactions: rahza

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I put kayak D rings on the rear end of mine.

The wet weather gear and spare gloves for the bride and I live there in roll top waterproof bags.

Quick and easy to get at if the weather changes without taking up valuable room on my boxes.

I have added hooks and D rings to my top box too so I can lash down big stuff.

When traveling our beach gear is lashed to the top box so if we find a great swimming spot like a beach, dam or river we can take the opportunity to try it out.

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
On the outside I added DOT reflective tape. The lids have a sheet of anti-slip material designed for a bathtub bottom, to keep stuff tied on more secure.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Motor vehicle

Inside I have pull out liners. I also put in a mesh bag I won at the Eastern Stromtrooper Rally to hold loose things. And mandatory stealth stickers.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Hood

·
Registered
2020 Suzuki V-Strom 650 XT Adventure
74 Posts
I was going to just close this thread and not comment, but I can't help myself. It is obvious to me that's many motorcyclist have never done a lot of business travel, whether local or overseas. We as motorcyclist just don't know what to take and what's not to take.

One of the first trips I took with my wife two up was for 10 days on a ST1100. It has two factory bags. I told her she could come but the righthand bag was hers. Everything she needed had to fit in that bag.

So before you go modify your gear, on your next trip put a piece of tape on every item you are bringing with. Socks and underwear, all cloths, cook gear, sleeping gear, etc. you get the picture. If you use the item take the tape off. Now when you get back home look at everything with tape still on and ask your self why did I bring this. Now there will be thing like the need tools and compressor that most likely will still have tape but those are necessities that you have to have.

Leave the tape on those items that did not get used, if you can and the next trip ask yourself when you see those items "Do I need you?"

If you do this your bike will be happier, it will be easier to pickup if it falls and less weight will be carried, better fuel mpg, longer tire wear, suspension is happier, etc.

·
Administrator
14,902 Posts
I've done a few business trips for my work that had me riding a good part of the way accross the continent. (Montreal, Hershey PA, Albuquerque, Salt lake City with trips starting in the Greater Toronto Area, Canada) plus fly to trips (LA, Phoenix) were I rented a bike while there. I don't use my side cases since I prefer using my (58 liter) topcase and my 80 liter Givi bag on the back seat.

I'm leaving for Alaska in a few weeks (mom business) and am using my Givi E41 sidecases for this trip but only because of taking my tenting gear.

..Tom

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to just close this thread and not comment, but I can't help myself. It is obvious to me that's many motorcyclist have never done a lot of business travel, whether local or overseas. We as motorcyclist just don't know what to take and what's not to take.

One of the first trips I took with my wife two up was for 10 days on a ST1100. It has two factory bags. I told her she could come but the righthand bag was hers. Everything she needed had to fit in that bag.

So before you go modify your gear, on your next trip put a piece of tape on every item you are bringing with. Socks and underwear, all cloths, cook gear, sleeping gear, etc. you get the picture. If you use the item take the tape off. Now when you get back home look at everything with tape still on and ask your self why did I bring this. Now there will be thing like the need tools and compressor that most likely will still have tape but those are necessities that you have to have.

Leave the tape on those items that did not get used, if you can and the next trip ask yourself when you see those items "Do I need you?"

If you do this your bike will be happier, it will be easier to pickup if it falls and less weight will be carried, better fuel mpg, longer tire wear, suspension is happier, etc.
Great thoughts on what/not to bring. I meant more like clever hacks and such. Like the bathtub sticker to keep things from sliding around. 💡

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I have 3 or 4mm bungy cord in the lids of my cases and top box.

I keep stuff I would like to get to easily under the cord, gloves, maps & house keys are common.

Reactions: STCorndog and rahza

·
Registered
6,036 Posts
Great thoughts on what/not to bring. I meant more like clever hacks and such. Like the bathtub sticker to keep things from sliding around. 💡
Thx,

If your interested in the anti-slip stuff I found it at Grainger Supply. I used it because;
  • the stuff is tough.
  • the sheet has a peel off backing and the adhesive is designed to stick in a shower floor. It is not effected by moisture and rain hasn’t phased it.
  • since it has a backing, cutting it to shape was pretty easy.
  • the material is translucent. Whatever color your pannier is will show through.
  • relatively cheap
  • the sheet is about 20” x 45” and was enough to screw up my first piece I cut. Made 2. Still have a bit left over.

Reactions: rahza

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
I have a "big trip" planned within the next 30-40 days.......if successful, will be gone 4-6 weeks, camping half the time. So, packing for a trip like this made me look for every nook & cranny I could use for: tools, spare parts (gearshift/brake pedals, levers, brake pads, fuses, tire kits), camping/cooking gear, food/water, apparel, rain gear, cold weather gear, hot weather gear, maps, etc, etc. I hope I never "need" some of it, but want to be ready in case I do. Yes, it adds a sheetload of weight but I have tried to lighten my bike where possible (removed passenger pegs/brackets, full Akro Exhaust)......and, have "tried" to pack items LOW on the bike to help with it being top-heavy. Some may say my added items are frivolous (umbrella holder), time on the road will tell.
Here are a few:

1. Rollie Bags mounted on back (not on top) of panniers......made a support "shelf" to keep them from sagging like Granny's Size 40 Boobs.

Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive lighting

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Sports equipment Wood Sportswear

2. Added 4" x 4" Plastic Fence Posts to each side of my Pelican Topbox.........can store my bike cover in one side, heated vest in the other. In retrospect, probably should have just installed a "wider" Pelican Topbox. Oh well.........it was fun building them.

Yellow Kitchen appliance Motor vehicle Home appliance Office equipment

3. Spare Map Holder on top of Topbox.......keeps maps I am not using at the moment........dry storage area for them.

Font Gas Audio equipment Technology Event

5. Aftermarket Lockable Helmet Holder............I use a "Jacket Caddy" (plastic covered cable) to lock my jacket to this lock.

Automotive design Eyewear Material property Audio equipment Automotive exterior

6. One of my "most important" farkles...............everyone likes a "Beaver", right??

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Car Automotive design

7. The frivolous umbrella holder.....made from PVC Pipe. I read where one rider was held up in heavy non-moving traffic due to an accident....he pulled out his umbrella and made it more bearable. Also, to be used in campsites if raining.

Hood Automotive design Office equipment Motor vehicle Office supplies

.........to be continued below............next post.

·
Premium Member
3,479 Posts
....continued from above............

8. Spare Gas Can Holder.........homemade.

Automotive tire Fender Automotive design Gas Rim

9. I cut-out part of the top portions of my plastic side cowlings in order to reach my hands down in there easier. There is LOTS of unused space behind your sidecovers.

Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Electrical wiring Automotive exterior

10. Water Bottle Holder........secured by cable.

Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper

11. I have added (3) bicycle bags on my 2008 Weestrom........one on each side of the rear rack grab bars.......(good place for spare gloves)......

Hood Luggage and bags Bag Bumper Automotive exterior

12. ....and the third one secured down low on my Happy Trails Pannier Rack System Strut.

Automotive tire Wood Luggage and bags Trunk Bumper

13. Lastly...........a Moto-Pocket secured (Hook & Loop) to the inside of the right front fairing to keep credentials/insurance/ and spare items inside. Can you see it....???? No??? Good, it means no one else can either........!!!!!!!

Hood Light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have a "big trip" planned within the next 30-40 days.......if successful, will be gone 4-6 weeks, camping half the time. So, packing for a trip like this made me look for every nook & cranny I could use for: tools, spare parts (gearshift/brake pedals, levers, brake pads, fuses, tire kits), camping/cooking gear, food/water, apparel, rain gear, cold weather gear, hot weather gear, maps, etc, etc. I hope I never "need" some of it, but want to be ready in case I do. Yes, it adds a sheetload of weight but I have tried to lighten my bike where possible (removed passenger pegs/brackets, full Akro Exhaust)......and, have "tried" to pack items LOW on the bike to help with it being top-heavy. Some may say my added items are frivolous (umbrella holder), time on the road will tell.
Here are a few:

1. Rollie Bags mounted on back (not on top) of panniers......made a support "shelf" to keep them from sagging like Granny's Size 40 Boobs.

View attachment 303675

View attachment 303676

2. Added 4" x 4" Plastic Fence Posts to each side of my Pelican Topbox.........can store my bike cover in one side, heated vest in the other. In retrospect, probably should have just installed a "wider" Pelican Topbox. Oh well.........it was fun building them.

View attachment 303677

3. Spare Map Holder on top of Topbox.......keeps maps I am not using at the moment........dry storage area for them.

View attachment 303678

5. Aftermarket Lockable Helmet Holder............I use a "Jacket Caddy" (plastic covered cable) to lock my jacket to this lock.

View attachment 303680

6. One of my "most important" farkles...............everyone likes a "Beaver", right??

View attachment 303681

7. The frivolous umbrella holder.....made from PVC Pipe. I read where one rider was held up in heavy non-moving traffic due to an accident....he pulled out his umbrella and made it more bearable. Also, to be used in campsites if raining.

View attachment 303682

.........to be continued below............next post.
The fence posts - brilliant!! Looks like you're ready for just about anything.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Looking at the setup in this (ready for Starbucks) picture,
Clothing Tire Vehicle Wheel Sky

it becomes obvious where the problem is, when all of your "water bottles, umbrellas, jerry cans, roll-up bags, etc, etc get all "Caked in mud" ...at the end of the day, ...at some motel parking lot.

I mean what do you do? you can't leave it outside, and you can't bring it into your room ?
It all looks like a nice idea, when in the garage and when clean...but things on the ADV bike get DIRTY.

imho; if you can't help yourself, and need to take absolutely "Everything" with you, then get the biggest Pelican cases
Vehicle Water Military camouflage Helmet Military person
Tire Automotive tire Tread Wheel Road surface

to at least keep all your stuff inside, dry and clean and in duffle bags (ready for motel room)

or better yet get a UniGo trailer (or Sherpa or other)
Tire Shoe Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
105 Posts
Reflective 5 x 5 inch panels on my Givi Leakers. Trying a new gasket foam to try and keep the water out.
Very disapointed that these leak like they do. Poor design

1 - 20 of 46 Posts