StromTrooper banner

Have you had ANY problems with your V-Strom outside maintenance items?

• Yes

Votes: 28 23.0%
  • No

Votes: 90 73.8%
  • Ewa Sonnet is hotter than Denise Milani

Votes: 4 3.3%
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Big B (who is no longer a V-Strom owner) posted a thread opining that there have been an unusually large number of problem reports lately. This despite the V-Strom being anecdotally one of the most reliable bikes ever made.

So, lets find out. Excluding normal maintenance like tuneups, chains, sprockets, tires, batteries, etc., have you ever had any problems with your V-Strom, DL650 or DL1000? Detail the model and year as some problems are "known." Personally I don't count suspension upgrades as a "problem" as it works as designed.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Yes I have had the clutch chudder, the leaky fuel line, the rough running in the lower rpm's, no start due to loose wires on the clutch, TB boots loose, leaky air filter gasket from the factory.

There are others all nit picky type of problems but all could have been easily taken care of with proper set up from the factory. Suzuki's fit finish and attention to detail leave something to be desired.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Over 46,600km on my 09 DL650a without missing a beat, in fact I have only just done the first chain & sprocket (front only, rear is still looking near new).

These bikes are reliable with a capital "R".

It might be interesting to see the split between Wee and Vee for problems but neither bike seems to have much in the way of issues or problems overall.

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Yes, once. But it's something that could have happened to any car, truck, motorcycle, or boat.

Coming home from North Carolina my bike just stopped dead cold. Would not start even though it turned over fine, no error codes, nothing. The friend with me rode home to Crossville and came back with his trailer and towed it to his house. He was also kind enough to tow it to Nashville a couple of weeks later and refused any payment for his efforts.

The tech at the Suzuki shop found the problem, I couldn't even though I tried. It turned out that underneath the air box a metal clip had been installed upside down. Over time it cut through the adjacent wiring harness and was shorting the ECU to ground which effectively shut everything down. The fix was simple: Turn the clip over and replace the cut wires.

That was 3 years ago. Not a single burble before or after so I'm happy.

·
Administrator
18,446 Posts
Then maybe it is just ignorant owners?:confused: All I am doing is making a simple observation, and from week to week I see a shite load of posts about issue this and issue that. I am a member of "at least" 2 other moto forums as well, and they have far less posts about actual issues than here seems to have lately. I read all these posts/threads and just laugh to myself, I cant remember things being this bad and I have been around for awhile.

And what does it matter that I am no longer a Vstrom owner, I have allot of friends here and still probably know more about these bikes than many?

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
32,000 on my '07, zero issues.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great Ride

Just got back from Alberta on my 2009 and turned over 61000 trouble free kms. Just add gas and go with a tad of the usual servicing.

·
Administrator
18,446 Posts
Yes I have had the clutch chudder, the leaky fuel line, the rough running in the lower rpm's, no start due to loose wires on the clutch, TB boots loose, leaky air filter gasket from the factory.

There are others all nit picky type of problems but all could have been easily taken care of with proper set up from the factory. Suzuki's fit finish and attention to detail leave something to be desired.
The 1000 has its fair share of annoying gremlins IMHO, and they will get worse with racking up the miles.

·
Administrator
14,210 Posts
2006 DL650 Bought new in July of 2006.
Currently 192,000 km, approx 119,000 miles

Around 80,000 km/50,000 miles (I think it was) squealing noise coming from front of bike. Host of grease in speedo drive cured it.

Around 100,000 km/ 62,000 miles clutch cable ran out of adjustment. Bought new cable and a few weeks later it too ran out of Adjustment. The arm that the cable connects to at the clutch actuator came loose (I think it is press fitted with a spot weld securing it.) I took it apart and some of the little bal bearings in there fell out, they may have already been worn or perhaps I screwed up taking it apart (which is likely) In any event I bought a new actuator and replaced it. That cost me about $50. here in Canada where traditionally parts cost 50% or more than in the USA.

Around 120,000 km/75,000 miles my bike developed a flat spot at around 8,500 rpm as it went up through the rev range. This gradually expanded to cover a wider rev range. Fuel filter was plugged up. The year of my bike allows me to bypass the internal filer and put on an external one. This also cost around $50 in total up here and a replacement filter would be about $35 in the future.

At around 145,000 km/90,000 miles when changing tires my mechanic noticed the rear bearings all needed replacing so I did that then. The fronts are still original and are fine (I did buy a set when I had the noise coming from the front at around 80,000 km but didn't need them.)

Around 170,00 km (roughly 106,000 miles) I had the odd no-start condition where pressing the start button turned off the lights but it didn't crank, this happened more frequently when wet. Taking apart the starter button and cleaning it cured that problem.

I have been fortunate in that all of these were "soft" failures where there was an issue but the bike was still rideable, even with the Start button problem I could bump start the bike.

It uses a bit of oil when doing higher speed riding (ie: it goes from the "full" line to the bottom line on 1,000km/600 mile days at continuous 120 kpm/75 mph to 150 kph/90 mph and apart from brakes, tires and chains has not required any work other than either improvements I decided to do or damage I incurred when dropping the bike.

Mine seems to be a pretty reliable bike so far.

..Tom

·
Registered
224 Posts
Yes! I came around a tight corner that I couldn't see through going too fast and I met a car merging onto the road from the shoulder and the bike crashed! POS DL1000!

Seriously, I have a 2006 1K that I got in 2010 with 8,700 miles on it. It now has a little over 17,500 miles with no problems. At the 15K service interval everything was in fine condition and in spec.

·
Registered
2,017 Posts
Clutch chudder and a leaky water pump gasket, that's been it for my Vee.

·
$Whatever$
1,598 Posts
TPS sensor, Stator,noisy clutch, Battery, 3rd seat, boat load of tires, tail light bulb, L plate bulb,2 chain and sprocket sets, brake pads, shitload of fuel...........Just the usual stuff... Never owned a bike this long before,,,,,,,,,,,

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Rear fuel injector power wire corroded in half where it was crimped to a 12v source wire inside the wiring harness. This was due to water entering the harness and pooling in that area. Diagnosed just after the one year warranty was up. Suzuki paid partial costs.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
My 2004 Wee has turned over 40,000 miles since I bought it four years ago with 8,000 miles on it. The chain and sprocket was changed for the first time this summer. Plugs and air filter have been changed once. It has received regular oil and tire changes.

That's it. Nothing else. Nada.

Haven't even checked the valve clearances yet.

Great milage, comfortable with a few mods, trouble free bike! :thumbup:

·
Registered
321 Posts
46000 miles over 2.5 years since brand damn new on 07 Vee... Dropped it 50 million times, broke both front blinkers - still ducktaped, scratched every panel it has - all repainted, bent handlebar - still bent, stripped oil plug thread - fixed it with helicoil, bent and banged skid plate - keep straightening with hammer... Rode all kinds of roads, including impassable Warloop Rd, the ATV tracks through Capitan Mountains, the sands of Oklahoma... and through all this I haven't done anything but maintenance and damage recovery...

...or, I complaint. The seat cover has a tear between front and back. Fcuk, what a unreliable brand...

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I'm probably harder on my bikes than most people.
I'm hard with the throttle (the widdle 650 needs the flogging), I commute on the bike year round, and my bike sleeps outside (even when it snows).
I bought my k8 dl650a new in July 2008.
I'm at 32,000kms (I think).
The original tires, chain(what a POS) and sprockets were replaced at 13,000kms.
My new chain and sprockets are doing fine, and I'm about to replace my tires again (at 19,000kms they still have tread left before the wear-bars, but the rear has developed a slow leak). I think I'll keep using the battlewings.

Issues I have with the bike:
- A bit of rust under the gastank and on the forks below the tee.
- The bike could use a wash.
- Damn that chain is noisy.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I had the paint peel off part of the water pump. I consider that a cosmetic rather than a maintenance issue so I answered no. The bike has a little over 72,000 miles now.

·
Registered
63 Posts
only issue was a busted generator coil, finally found and fixed the problem at about 60k kl,m (40k mi), but was an intermittent charging problem for quite a while. 650 K8A.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts