StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going on vacation with my wife and 5 month daughter...so no cracks about just riding it rather than trailering it. I need front tie down points on the V.

I am trailering 2 bikes on the standard Lowes type trailers fitted with chocks.

Option A:
I do have the straps that mount over the hand grips and provide outer tie down locations, but I heard the bars are pretty easy to bend.

Option B:
I have seen going up under the fairing and attaching it to the fork tubes. Only problem here is my trailer tie down points are pretty far apart and I think it will cause the strap to rub the inside of the rad. overflow.

Option C:
I have givi crash bars.
Can I mount to the crash bars as a front tie down spot? WIll they hold up?

·
Registered
198 Posts
I trailered mine with 18" long soft straps on the bars down inside the fairing, this put the hooks on the tiedown straps right at the bottom of the fairing where they wouldn't hurt anything. I had to drill new hook holes in my trailer about 12" on either side of the front wheel but I also used straps on the rear to help balance it.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
I am going on vacation with my wife and 5 month daughter...so no cracks about just riding it rather than trailering it. I need front tie down points on the V.

I am trailering 2 bikes on the standard Lowes type trailers fitted with chocks.

Option A:
I do have the straps that mount over the hand grips and provide outer tie down locations, but I heard the bars are pretty easy to bend.

Option B:
I have seen going up under the fairing and attaching it to the fork tubes. Only problem here is my trailer tie down points are pretty far apart and I think it will cause the strap to rub the inside of the rad. overflow.

Option C:
I have givi crash bars.
Can I mount to the crash bars as a front tie down spot? WIll they hold up?
Or..

Option D: both A and B :)

I'm a "belt and suspenders" kind of guy when it comes to trailering bikes.

Use the soft ties around the fork tubes above the lower triple for the main support. You may need to cross them (i.e. strap from left leg to right tiedown point and vice-versa) to get them to clear everything. Then use the Canyon Dancer on the bar as insurance. Ideally you'd have multiple tiedown points on the trailer in case one of those fails.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've got SWmotech fall over bars and have used them as tie down points in my pickup with no problems. Tow the pickup behind the motorhome.

·
Premium Member
2,877 Posts
One other thing I just noticed. The brake line runs down the right fork tube, held in place by a clamp mounted on the right front of the lower triple. If you're not careful you'll end up running the soft ties around it as well as the fork tube, risking damaging the hose. Remove the bolt that holds the clamp so the hose can float out of the way, put the bolt back in the hole (tighten it some!!) so you don't lose it. Don't forget to put the clamp back when you get to where you're going. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts