StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Calsci windscreen since I read good reviews here. So this question is for those who have purchased one. Has anyone received one that was previously mounted~?

I received mine yesterday, promptly (very quick service), at the office and didn't have a chance to open the box. I went in this morning and opened it up. When I was pulling it out of the the first thing I notice is this scratch (hopefully the file is small enough to upload), and there's a matching one but not as bad on the other side. If the picture didn't upload, they're from the mount covers that are supplied. When I held up the windscreen to the light you can see scuffs around the mounting holes and some across the lower end. There's also a small scratch that looks like a rock hit the screen.

I emailed them mentioning the scratches and asked if this was a new windscreen, and he replied promptly, that they have an exchange program, and that these may have been mounted but only for a short time, and that they don't throw those away.

I guess I'm perturbed, I want to modify the stock bolt covers to fit, but I'm not sure if it will cover the scratches. I'll have to check tomorrow when I ride my Wee down to the office. But mostly, shouldn't I have been sent a brand new, unblemished windscreen, instead of one that was mounted previously~? And if they are, shouldn't they be sold as "Used"~?

I wrote back saying that if it doesn't cover the scratches I respectfully request a brand new, unmounted windscreen. That email, he hasn't replied too, as of yet, but I truly believe that it should have been a brand new windscreen in the first place.

I really want to try the windscreen out, to get rid of that last bit of buffeting around the shoulders, but am disappointed that I was sold something, obvious to my eye, used, and sold as new. If I purchase something, and use it, I would never think of returning it..but that is just me, so I guess my other question is, even if the stock covers, hide the scratches should I even keep it, or just ask him to sent me a return label and go out and buy something else~?

Opinions appreciated~!

Attachments

·
Registered
490 Posts
Mine was new/unmounted. I really like it. It will get its own scratches soon enough. I hear what you are saying about full disclosure (I think there is something on their website but not front and centre), but probably not worth the anguish of returning it.

·
Banned
52 Posts
Not impressed...nor surprised!

I ordered a Calsci windshield and apart from the packaging, was very disappointed. I bought it based on research I did here on this forum and thought I was making a good purchase. This is NOT a quality product and this is not a quality company...in my opinion.

The windsheild is not DOT approved, they are made out of material that is thick and not optically correct, you can see the distortion where they were heat formed and honestly, the whole "duct" design is hogwash.

I called back to complain about the distortion in the "wind screen" and was told there are not intended to be optically correct because you should be looking over the top of them...yes...I know this...BUT...

I was offered a replacement and after giving it some thought, knowing full well the replacement would be the exact same product, I asked for a refund. I repacked the calsci carefully into the packaging that it came in and returned it. And then I waited....and waited....and waited...

And then I called to ask why I had not received my refund. They had been busy but would get right on it.

It's a poor product trying to compete with real companies using real material and manufacturing processes. I admire the small businesses that compete against the big guys with superior product and service. Calsci had neither of these attributes.

Sorry...but true. You probably purchased one of what I am sure are many returns they receive.

I did not bash them after my dealings and just felt comfortable moving on to a Givi...which I love...which was cheaper...which was delivered the next day! I love Amazon... :thumbup:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mine was new/unmounted. I really like it. It will get its own scratches soon enough. I hear what you are saying about full disclosure (I think there is something on their website but not front and centre), but probably not worth the anguish of returning it.
I had it covered in plastic wrap, and decide to screw it, and just mounted it. I always knew it's going to get scratched up, but it would have been nice if I was the one to put the first scratches, and be :furious: Trimmed the original covers to fit. Have to adjust the Madstad a little more, but seems like it's getting there. Guess I just needed to vent.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well even though my Calsci and I got off to a rough start, I must say I really like the screen. Found a setting that I like, probably could play with it more but I'm happy. At 50 mph it feels like dead air..might not be good during the summer time, above that, and I was only able to get it to 75 tonight on the way home because of traffic, it felt like a breeze, maybe more like a light wind. No buffeting whatsoever. So all in all I'm happy with the Madstad, Calsci combo.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts