StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was riding to work today, came up to a red light feathering the throttle, so as to not to have to stop completely, but the light didn't change. So I went to put my foot down and realized my boot lace was caught on the shifter and I was already leaning to the left.:jawdrop: I ended up running the light. Had to gun it and swerve a bit, but kept it upright. Yanked the crap out of it for the next block and finally got it undone. Luckily I go to work at 3 AM, so there is very little traffic. Just wondering if there are any other horror stories out there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Yes! If my boot laces are to long,,, i tuck em in the boots, or wrap around ankle... it can happen on BOTH sides!!!!:yesnod: i little unerving indeed....

·
Registered
34 Posts
It's happened to me a couple of times shoe lace gets caught around the clutch bleeder valve. Both times I felt it snag as I was putting my foot down. Pulled hard enough to untie my shoe once the second time I saw it before I completely stopped and lifted my foot high enough to release it. Definitely could be a dangerous situation for someone. You must have some really long laces to get caught around the shifter.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Twenty-one years ago I had my only street bike injury--a boot lace got caught on a footpeg. I was riding my 1982 XL500R to work and pulled up next to a Ford pickup at a red light. I went to put my left foot down before I stopped and the boot didn’t make it to the ground because the lace was tightly wrapped to the peg. The bike stopped and I was already leaning left. My left foot got trapped below the skid plate and I fell to the side until my shoulder made contact with the right door of the pickup. I was able to avoid scratching or denting the truck with the bar end or lever but was stuck up tight against the truck.

I looked over, made eye contact with the driver, mouthed the word, “help…” but he looked away. When the light turned green a moment later, he accelerated away. I slid against the side of his truck until there wasn’t any more truck, and then began falling to the ground. About two-thirds of the way down my boot made contact with the ground. A fraction of a second later I felt bones breaking in my lower leg and then I finally crashed to the ground.

The driver behind the truck saw what was happening and stopped before running me over. He helped me up and I rode home but spent the next six weeks in a cast with multiple broken foot and lower leg bones.

I now make sure that my laces are secure and that I don’t have excessive string hanging down below my ankle.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
I learned several decades ago that lace up boots/shoes are not suitable footwear on motorcycles. :headbang:

I tie double knots in any lace up footwear I use, they can not be pulled undone when snagged. :fineprint:

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
When wearing laced boots on the bike, I always wear long socks pulled up and over the top of the boot to secure the laces.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've had the loop hang up on the shift lever.... and my frantic tugging pulled the loop out. Result, an untied shoe string. If I double knotted the shoestring it'd never "pull out' and I'd certainly have been on the ground.

When I get time I plan on working on becoming proficient at balancing on two wheels, no feet down. I'm tired on putting them down anyway.

dave

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've had this happen twice. First time i was had just pulled into my driveway, wearing tennis shoes(my bad) caught my lace and tipped over breaking my two week old givi wind shield off on the bumper of my truck. Second time I was in Monterey Ca. for moto gp. went to cannery row to check out all the motorcycles. Decided to take off my boots and wear "tennis shoes" to walk around. Just a short ride back to hotel, so decided not to change back into boots. At very first stop sign caught lace and tipped over into my riding partner next to me and knocked him over and again broke my wind shield. This time I had a 500 mile ride home with out a wind shield to think about the error of my ways. That was a year ago and have not made same mistake again. Those wind shields are not cheap!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes the same exact thing happens to me every night going in to work. I just run the light (it never recognizes motorcycles). I won't come up with a shoelace excuse though. I will use the "malfunctioning light" as my excuse for running the light.

·
Registered
15,410 Posts
What?
Walking, chewing gum. Riding motorcycle wearing shoes?
It was early morning and that was the picture that came to my head.
Anyone wearing tennis shoes with big baggy lace loops has done it. Probably didn't save it in the same manner you did.:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I was a kid I was riding a cr125 on trails near my house in sneakers. I was all done riding shut the bike down and was costing to a stop. When I put my foot down the shoe lace hooked the gear shift. I fell over toes down and the engine hit me in the heal. My toe bent back and broke several bones. I now ware boot that zip up as my first choice or will tuck my hiking boot laces in the boot when riding.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I learned several decades ago that lace up boots/shoes are not suitable footwear on motorcycles. :headbang:
Same here. I never wear laced boots now, and even mention it to friends when I see them wearing laced boots. Usually deaf ears. They'll have to learn the hard way too.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Clutch bleeder valve has gotten me a few times while riding to work. Never fell over yet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts