StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never used a photo hosting site on here, and have always just posted photos as attachments. Recently, it seems like the photos that display when you click on the thumbnails are a lot smaller than they used to be. Ordinarily when I post a photo I resize it so it's around 75KB, and about 640x480. Those sizes and resolution were adequate to display a decent sized picture in the past, but now they're really tiny. Has something within the site changed? Should I be resizing the photos to a different size than the one I've been using?

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts
The site resizes ..so no need for you to do it. I find thumbnails annoying ..better to post from a hosting site so they show up in the thread.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The site instructions for posting photos recommends that they be resized between 600 and 800 pixels wide. That used to be sufficient to attach a decent size photo, but now the photos are a lot smaller than they used to be when you click on the thumbnail.

Edit: Started moving stuff over to Google Photos. I'll see how that works out.

Ok...I loaded a photo onto Google Photos, and then used the "get link" button under the share icon. Got a url for the photo, then came here and used the IMG button under the editor to paste the url to the IMG icon. Nothing happens. For anyone who uses Google Photos or knows about Google Photos, what am I doing wrong?

Well, according to some stuff I read on line, Google Photos doesn't work as a hosting site for forums that use bbcode. I did manage to post some images in another thread with a free hosting site called Post Image.

·
Premium Member
4,703 Posts

·
Moderating in moderation
621 Posts
I thought going to a premium membership would allow you to post decent sized photos most sites work that way, I was wrong.

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So, going back to my original question, did the dimensions a photo included as an attachment change from before?

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have always done it the same way; resize the photo to about 640 by 480 pixels, save it at the site limit of 78 KB, the drag and drop it into the file attachment window. The photos, when I enlarge the thumbnail after it's been posted, are only about three inches by four inches, which is a lot smaller than they used to appear.

·
Registered
160 Posts
To be fair its probably just easier to host them on a third party site and link them. It allows the photo to resize to the readers screen, unless you save the photo at a much lowe resolution. The only caveat is that it is up to you not to move or delete the albums (thus changing or breaking the links in a thread). It's also of benefit to the forums because instead of taking up data hosting the images you are offloading them (saving bandwidth and space on the forum). I'd probably use one that isn't going to hold your trash hostage 2 years down the road. I knew it was coming from photosuckit for a long time, plus their website started to become slow, bloated, and unpleasant to use, so I was never sold on using it. I'm pretty sure you could use google photo and have little fear of them charging for storage and then when you upload your images there you can resize them as you see fit or leave them as they come off your camera or phone. I'd recommend 1280 x 1024 minimum. 640 x 480 is dialup appropriate but with todays HD monitors and LCD's on laptops even, the photos don't offer a lot of detail, compared to the larger format images.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts