StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
V-Strom - High Intensity Infra Red Bulb

For those who don't know, here's the deal with halogen infra-red bulbs. It is basically a normal halogen bulb with a coating applied to the quartz envelope that reflects infra-red light back onto the filament. This raises the temperature of the filament so that it puts out more light. Visible light passes through the coating so there is no color shift. If you look closely, you can just barely see a faint grayish coating on the quartz.

I put a pair of halogen infra-red bulbs in my minivan about 4 years ago and they have worked well. Normal life span, normal color, normal power consumption and somewhat brighter than standard bulbs.

The bulbs at VStroma.com only use 35 watts each, instead of 55/60, so my guess is that they probably have about the same light output as stock bulbs. The payoff would appear to be in the lower wattage. On a Strom, saving 40 watts simply by changing your headlight bulbs would be a nice thing - if there is no downside.

So, has anyone tried these bulbs in their Strom? Anyone want to try them and give us a report?

Take Care,

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Registered
282 Posts
Looks pretty cool. I might have to try a set myself. If I could save a few watts for heated gear, then that would be a major plus.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Interesting technology...do you know if the round bulb shape impacts how the headlight reflector projects the light on the road?
I don't do much night riding so the impact for me would be low...it might be worth a try but the shipping to Canada is higher than the bulb price so I'll wait till I can pick some up at a local shop. In the meantime I'd appreciate hearing from anyone that tries them on their bike.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Having never changed the bulbs out on the Vee, is it as easy as it looks? It looks like I can just pull off the connector, remove the rubber boot and pop out the bulb? Is that all there is too it? No disassembly required of fairing or other parts? I know of course not to touch the bulb.

How many watts does the Vee draw at normal cruise? Anybod know?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Here's info about the HIR1 (9011) and HIR2 (9012) bulbs for Toyota Supras that use the same technology:
HIR1 (9011) & HIR2 (9012)

I use the 9012 bulbs in my Volvo to replace 9006, and they are very good.

I did not know of this technology in H4 bulbs, and I'm curious about who makes them and if they're any good.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just sent an email to the VStroma folks asking for more info. When I get something back, l'll share it with the group.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
And, are they dual filament bulbs for high & low beam?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The link in the first post to Vstroma indicates they are H4 replacements
Yes, but...
...the vstroma people don't seem to be the most technically astute vendors.
...these are not "high intensity infra red bulbs" which would pass the infrared light. They are infrared reflective bulbs which reflect the infrared back to the filament. Big difference.
...usually a dual filament bulb is listed with the wattages for each filament, i. e., 60/55, etc. These are just listed as 35 watt.

It can't hurt to ask. As one of the laziest people I've ever known, and used to get contractors to do good work for him, said, "you get what you inspect, not what you expect."

On further review...an expanded look at the photo from vstroma shows two filaments and 35/35w listings.

·
Registered
588 Posts
"you get what you inspect, not what you expect."
I like that, in fact, I may use it. (We've never me so we'll just say the HE'S still the laziest guy you know! ;) )

Looking forward to more info on these bulbs as I do do a fair bit of night driving. I am impressed with the light output of the stock bulbs but then, it's the first post 80's bike I've owned in many years. That' and I'm easily impressed. :thumbup:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Here is an interesting read about the HIR bulbs.

HIR Headlights 9011 9012 bulbs

Based on what I read, the style looks correct for the HIR bulbs and the 35w is definitely appealing.

However so far I can't find anything about an H4 HIR bulb. Anyone else have any luck?

If these bulbs don't pan out, what bulbs has everyone else had good luck with? I don't want higher wattage but better light output.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
The filament placement looks wrong for one high and one low. They should be fore and aft instead of side by side and there should be a front baffle and a small reflector under the front filament.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Reply from VStroma.com

On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:39 PM, VStroma <[email protected]> wrote:
To be honest, I am not sure who made the bulb. We no longer carry that bulb because we cannot get it. Let me know if you need anything else.
Regards,
VSTROMA.com

·
Registered
341 Posts
On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:39 PM, VStroma <[email protected]> wrote:
To be honest, I am not sure who made the bulb. We no longer carry that bulb because we cannot get it. Let me know if you need anything else.
Regards,
VSTROMA.com

Did my wife force you to say this? Because I KNOW the woman has a long evil reach when it comes to spend money on farkling...:cry:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts