StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone mounted a spare gas can on their Strom for occasional trips into the boon docks? Maybe on the passenger foot peg or made a cage for it on the luggage carrier? If so, did you purchase the carrier somewhere or custom make it? Pictures? I know about the expensive fuel cells but I want to keep my cost low.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
I use a litre fuel bottle bungied between the Pelican and the rear wheel. It ain't much, but it helps.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tmcgee. The gas canister question is for my Alaska trip in 14 days. I think I'll just strap a plastic can to my luggage rack. It will be empty for almost the whole trip. I will fill it right before I go on the Dalton Highway.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You won't need to carry extra gas for your wee-strom to Alaska. Gas is dangerous to carry in plastic jugs strapped to your bike. Did the Dempster to Eagle Plains without refueling and had a gallon to spare, that was the longest I traveled without finding a gas station, 231 miles. On the Alaskan hwy gas is not difficult to find. I did travel about 150 miles on the Cassier before a gas station but not a problem. Just keep your tank topped off when you get the chance. Notice the red gas can in my Avatar. Carried some I thought I would need, but didn't, worried about the can the whole way. just my .02

·
Registered
603 Posts
Thanks tmcgee. The gas canister question is for my Alaska trip in 14 days. I think I'll just strap a plastic can to my luggage rack. It will be empty for almost the whole trip. I will fill it right before I go on the Dalton Highway.
You probably won't need the extra gas until you are north of Coldfoot. You can fill up in Coldfoot along with your extra fuel before you head north.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Kinda overpriced, but heres a 2-liter fuel bottle that you could probably wedge into a tool-tube on the back left. :)

Would only give ya an extra 20 miles, but would be cool for camping and the like beyond just use as an emergency spare. If you really needed some mondo extra storage, I'd go for a sturdy metal can that you can strap down very securely w/ tiedowns:
http://www.everygenerator.com/Eagle-UI-20-xx-EGL1002.html

·
Registered
182 Posts
I ride with a 5ltr plastic jerry can and bungie it on pillion with my tent when I ride as some spots are a bit remote here in Oz.

I'll see if I can attatch a photo when I get home from work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Plenty of room for 1 Gal can using the SW Motech quick-lock side rack. I made a simple platform for it using polycarbonate, which has eyehooks bolted on for bungies:

Attachments

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I've seen the MSR aluminum camping fuel bottles attached in myriad ways. One rider put cup holders on his crashbars, and stuck them in there. Another guy found tank panniers that will hold his MSR bottles. I think my favorite is the bike that had them mounted underneath his Jesse's bags- looked like little rockets under there.

Be careful opening these things. Fuel expands when it gets hot, if you're not careful you'll get a facefull of gas when you crack it open.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Another guy found tank panniers that will hold his MSR bottles. I think my favorite is the bike that had them mounted underneath his Jesse's bags- looked like little rockets under there.
That is the easiest way. Get round bottle shape MSR style containers of one to two litres then mount them to panniers using a couple of Jubilee Clips bolted to each pannier.
The bottom of the pannier is not a good idea because it means that the pannier will not be able to stand up off the bike. The rear is potentially dangerous if you get rear ended so the front works best as long as you are not carrying a pillion.

·
Premium Member
2,362 Posts
Ask an expert.

Ironmorph may notice this thread and comment. He can be found in the Florida forum. He has experience with auxiliary tanks, fuel tubes, and valves to select which tank the motorcycle uses. I bet he can give you some important advice, and tell you some interesting stories.

When he spits into the campfire, it generly blazes up perty good, yup.:rolleyes:

Keith

1 - 12 of 12 Posts