StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My alternative thread starter was....... I'm looking for training wheels! :headbang:

First ride out, I almost drop her with nothing more spectacular then coming to a stop on my driveway. Kept her up but it took all the power I can muster and I'm big enough to muster a lot.

Second ride out. Started in second grear, down I go on the left side. An hour later, a tiny bit off balance, down I go on the right side. Brake lever and turn signal now hate me. :headbang:

As for Givi crash bars.....:thumbup:

Has anyone installed sliders? I'm not trying to save the crash bars. 5 bucks of spray paint takes care of those. What I'm trying to save is the mirrors/levers/turn signals. On the other hand, the sliders transfer a lot more shock to the frame and I wonder if they are going to act like a pivot point and then I can lose precious upper plastic/windshields?

Any thoughts?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Here's my setup. SW-Motech old style crash bars and SV-Racing sliders. It was tested once at 20mph. It cost me $32 for a slider puck, $16 for a handguard and $23 for Emgo mirrors. Even with the bar end stuff getting rashed, there wasn't a mark on the cowling and the turn signals survived.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's my setup. SW-Motech old style crash bars and SV-Racing sliders. It was tested once at 20mph. It cost me $32 for a slider puck, $16 for a handguard and $23 for Emgo mirrors. Even with the bar end stuff getting rashed, there wasn't a mark on the cowling and the turn signals survived.

Do you have a closer shot? How far out do they extend?

I do NOT have a lot of experience but I am kind of surprised how fast she goes down. I haven't ridden for almost FOUR DECADES, but still, I don't remember my old BSA wanting to take a nap so often. She was a pyromaniac, but not a napper. Is this more then usual then other bikes, or is it just me?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Please, please, please, PLEASE take an MSF course and/or get some professional coaching before you damage yourself.

The bike doesn't need more protection -- you need to rebuild your skills ASAP.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Please, please, please, PLEASE take an MSF course and/or get some professional coaching before you damage yourself.

+1 on that. I returned to riding about 2 1/2 years ago after a 30+ year gap. I took the MSF course just to see if I actually wanted to get back into riding (and of course it only fueled the desire, but I learned a lot as well). The first time I test rode my Strom, I nearly dropped it in the owner's driveway. Nearly had it tip over a couple of times after that, but then learned, "This is not a bicycle. Put your leg out wider to hold it up!" Haven't had a tip over since. Well, except for that one time in the driveway when I grabbed the front brake at low speed turning around. Controlled set down, scraped handguard. Sore leg muscle. Once they start to go, you might as well just get out of the way because you're more likely to hurt yourself trying to keep them upright.

But yeah, get some instruction/practice before you do any real damage to yourself or the bike.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have Sliders...

Blair at SV Racing, search this site, sells a GREAT set of frame and swingarm sliders.

I have a set on my V-Strom along with the Pat Walsh crash bars.

They have saved my plastic from damage in drops just like you described.

One really cool feature of this set-up is that the Pat Walsh bars come with highway pegs.

I can put the back of my leg on top of the frame sliders and rest my feet on the highway pegs and I get total leg weight support in a forward position.

Great alternative leg position when on a long ride.

Awesome.:hurray:

·
38,103 Posts

Indeed. I should have said that. The learning process is best done on a smaller bike and involve people who know how to coach new or returning riders. See the tips at *All Things Motorcycle* too. Most likely you are looking down. Keep your eyes looking ahead on the line you want to go. Look down, go down.

·
Registered
988 Posts
First ride out, I almost drop her with nothing more spectacular then coming to a stop on my driveway.

Any thoughts?
Keep your eyes on something on the horizon when you come to a stop.Too bad that isn't part of the MSF curriculum. Works like a charm. Got that info here, not at the MSF course. Haven't dropped it once since I learned that.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Do the Givi bars cover the mounting point for the SVRacingParts frame sliders? I think so.

Keeping the eyes up IS part of the MSF Basic Rider Course. That doesn't mean the particular RiderCoach taught it, nor taught it effectively. Eyes up is even part of the scoring for the evaluation for the license waiver.

Spartan, how about hiring a motorcycle riding coach for a couple of hours or enroll in an intermediate riding course where you ride your bike and cover the basic riding maneuvers in one day? Different states and different riding schools may have different names for the course.

·
38,103 Posts
I think the SVRacing sliders will work with Givis if they are trimmed a bit at the inside end. Check with Blair at [email protected]

·
Registered
679 Posts
Spartan, here's the thread with the SV Racing sliders. http://www.stromtrooper.com/product-reviews/12693-sv-racing-parts-sliders.html

The guys are right. Take an MSF course. It'll do you good.

Coming from a low slung Sportster, I had forgotten how tall and top heavy the V-Strom is. In an angled parking lot, with my wife on the bike I came within a couple degrees of tilt and almost lost it. The bike started leaning quickly to the right on the right-facing downgrade. So I gassed it and got right out of the possible mess.

Like the saying goes...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you to all who have expressed concern about my safety. :thumbup:

I did take the course. Then again, starting in second didn't help on my left drop and I don't know what the hell happened on my right turn. On the other hand, 3 hours of slow speed suburban riding, local school parking lot and hundreds of lefts and rights were fine. Yes, I know about where to keep my eyes......on my neigbors nice curvy butt.

Yes, I am fully aware of my limitation that is why the rest of this year and as long as it takes, I will confine my rides to where mistrakes will hurt my ego, my pocket book...and a little razzing on the net. And yes, ATGATT is my religion.

My biggest problem is that I don't have any friends or relatives around me who are bike riders. People with real experience who are students of riding. Back then, even on the deadliest roads on earth (mistakes meant 1000 foot drops), nobody really learned how to ride other then experience gained through Darwinian survival.

It's too early to declare that buying the Strom was a mistake. I wanted to start with a smaller bike but in my market, everything under 3 grand was a repair job or 125 cc and the minimum entry was GS500's and 4 grand. At which point, it's 75 pounds less, but mistakes and NO crash bars would turn that 4 grand into a lot less, real quick. Buying th Strom was a "logical" decision....and it will be equally "logical" decision to sell it if I don't master it.

Now on to the Strom.....

I'm dropping the bike an inch and putting on lowering links. I'm not going on the highway or off road so the ground clearence is irrelevent. I'm also riding with a quarter tank.

This thread is about the best way to protect the Strom. I would appreciate any and all help in that direction.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Spartan, here's the thread with the SV Racing sliders. http://www.stromtrooper.com/product-reviews/12693-sv-racing-parts-sliders.html

The guys are right. Take an MSF course. It'll do you good.

Coming from a low slung Sportster, I had forgotten how tall and top heavy the V-Strom is. In an angled parking lot, with my wife on the bike I came within a couple degrees of tilt and almost lost it. The bike started leaning quickly to the right on the right-facing downgrade. So I gassed it and got right out of the possible mess.

Like the saying goes...
Thank you for that link. I did a search but missed that thread.

One of the things that surprised me was how fast it goes down. Neither of the falls gave any warning or had any "slow motion" to it. Dropping the height and quarter tank should help some.

Mehh....I wonder if my mother kept those training whells from 50 years ago..... :confused:

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep your eyes on something on the horizon when you come to a stop.Too bad that isn't part of the MSF curriculum. Works like a charm. Got that info here, not at the MSF course. Haven't dropped it once since I learned that.
My "almost" drop on the driveway was lack of experience on how top heavy it is.

It's kind of funny that at the course, the instructor went on about how to firmly plant your feet and keep the bike between your legs. Sure, easy to do with a Yamaha 250 CC cruiser but a wee bit (sic!) more difficult with the tall Wee and tiptoeing to the ground.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Your decision to buy the 'Strom was a good decision. Sounds like you need a 'cup of confidence' and a 'side of experience'.

Don't look back
You're on the right track
When the Stromtroopers give you flack
Just give it right back

Man... what a great poet I am.

:green_lol:

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
This thread is about the best way to protect the Strom. I would appreciate any and all help in that direction.
First, I'm not fond of bolt ons that don't provide active performance functionality.
Additionally, I really detest the commercial vstrom crash bars. They add even more overall weight up high, and forward. However, I would consider custom made ones like Glitch_oz has fabbed for his thin stroms, pictured below.

In the meantime, I'm contemplating the SV-racing sliders.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Thank you to all who have expressed concern about my safety. :thumbup:

I did take the course.
Take another. Really. The one day course on your bike. You will like the result.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First, I'm not fond of bolt ons that don't provide active performance functionality.
Additionally, I really detest the commercial vstrom crash bars. They add even more overall weight up high, and forward. However, I would consider custom made ones like Glitch_oz has fabbed for his thin stroms, pictured below.

In the meantime, I'm contemplating the SV-racing sliders.

That's interesting and look good. It appears that they made them wider to compensate for the lack of steel "volume".

The right drop scratched the leading side of the Givis (where it's almost verticle). Also got the turn signal and brake handle. I wonder, would those stop the fall at a higher angle or would the bike rotate over them?

·
Premium Member
4,199 Posts
I have Woodcraft swing arm sliders on my SV. They work with a rear stand so I'll probably mount some on the V-Strom eventually. The SV has OEM Suzuki sliders in front.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts