StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw one of these little Warn winches installed on the luggage rack area of a Yamaha Super Tenererere at the local Yamaha dealer. It was one of those "Why didn't I think of that?" moments.

Warn Industries - Motorcyle Winches: XT17 Portable Winch

Besides being a cute accessory for the adventure tourer who has everything... I'd be a lot more inclined to venture onto difficult trails if I had one of these babies aboard.

Mike

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
There's a GS800 around here with one on the rear rack also.He uses the heck out of it,but he does some INSANE things with that bike !!.One thing to remember is that the stroms charging system MIGHT not be up to the task of powering a winch!!.:yikes:

·
Registered
527 Posts
I carry a Rope Hoist and 30 feet of nylon strap (doubles as a tow rope) in case I get over the edge. I've seen the RR's where guys are dissassembling their bikes and carrying 'em up the hill - I just don't want to be one of 'em.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Amazon has another higher rated one (7:1) for $22. My question: how would one go about using this to right a V-Strom that's on its side in a manner a normal unaided pick up is not possible?

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
I can see how a winch can help a 4 wheeled vehicle up a hill, but a bike?
Seems especially useless if mounted in the rear.
Sounds like you need yourself a jeep, an unimog or a true dirtbike.

·
Registered
15,407 Posts
A sand wedge, block and tackle and an adventurous spirit could get a bike unstuck. Harbor Freight has several in smaller sizes that may work. That little MC battery may not provide a long duration use though. If the Bike is really crapped out it's a good idea that may not work. It's a lot of weight to carry around. But again, that's adventure!
I saw a sidecar rig the guy called el totuga, turtle I think, that had a car battery that might pull for a while.
I suppose for the real off road traveler having a spare battery installed in one of those big alunimum boxes might be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Ask Helge Pendersen about winching !!.
He was the first person to ride thru the Darien Gap.He used rope/block and tackle to pull his BMW GS up and over mountains.I'm sure he would have givin his left nut for a winch.BUT should you really be taking a 600lb bike ANYWHERE that you might need a winch ??:headbang:

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I have one on my ATV and yes, it takes a lot of power to use. I don't think the luggage rack would last long if you used it as a mounting point for a winch. I have never saw a rack rated for the weight of a winch, and pulling against could cause it to break off, the block & tackle makes more sense. Cheers--BB

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
I'm also a big fan of rope hoists. they can fit lot of different situations.

I have lifted my bike out of a trench it buried itself in. It came out and fell over but I could stand it up from there.

To lift from a tip-over, either just attach the rope to the down side, pass it over the seat and pull it up while standing. Or use a 2 legged stand tied at the top with the rope over the cross.

A come-alomg with 4 carabiners and light rope
Standing the bike upright. You probably don't need the poles, the rope from the opposite side lets you stand up and pull. No bent back or grip problems.

And yes, I do take pride in my artistic skills.

·
Registered
24 Posts
A winch would of been useful this day.

However, when on our V-Stroms, we usually turn around before getting in this deep. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
A winch would of been useful this day.

However, when on our V-Stroms, we usually turn around before getting in this deep. :mrgreen:
That one needs a skyhook to tie the winch to.:confused:

·
Registered
583 Posts
To lift from a tip-over, either just attach the rope to the down side, pass it over the seat and pull it up while standing
That might meet my needs. Perhaps a wide strap (tow strap) attached to the downside frame then over the seat then hooked to the hoist would get it upright. Maybe the brakes would have to be tied on and/or the tires blocked so the bike wouldn't skid. I think it's worth experimenting with this as I often ride alone and more than once had the Strom go down in such a way that I couldn't use the usual lifting techniques resulting in a long wait before someone happened by.

·
Premium Member
1,048 Posts
That might meet my needs. Perhaps a wide strap (tow strap) attached to the downside frame then over the seat then hooked to the hoist would get it upright. Maybe the brakes would have to be tied on and/or the tires blocked so the bike wouldn't skid. I think it's worth experimenting with this as I often ride alone and more than once had the Strom go down in such a way that I couldn't use the usual lifting techniques resulting in a long wait before someone happened by.
It works for me. My back doesn't bend much so I've gotten used to makeshift handles.
Just remember to catch it so you don't have to do it all again from the other side. :headbang:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts