StromTrooper banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked at it, and it does not appear to have a easy way to bolt the Shad mount to the Suzuki rack. The holes on the mount that I'm supposed to use, do not lign up what so ever to anything in the Suzuki rack. To make matters worse, if I drill them to match, they are right on the seam between where the rubber pad is.

I've considered getting a sheet of metal, bolting the metal to the rack, then bolting the Shad mount to the metal.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did, but it was not easy and it's been so long ago I forgot exactly what I had to do. I'll take a look at it tonight and see if it refreshes my memeory then get back to you. Maybe in the meantime someone will chime in with the answer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I looked at the install and here is what I did:

Here is a pic of the Shad metal plate installed. You will need to first remove the Suzuki tail rack and the rubber top. The rubber may get damaged in the process. Note that I notched out the metal plate on two sides of the large square hole to expose the Suzuki tail rack installation bolts, otherwise they will be covered up and you will not be able to reinstall it. Loose-fit the plate before cutting the notches so you know exactly where they need to go.

This next pic shows how I placed the mounting brackets on the back of the tail rack. Both ends do not need to contact the rack and it's not possible anyway as you have found out. The bracket ends have "tails" for lack of a better word - one long and one short. Rotate them around and experiment for best fit. Hopefully you can see this in the pic. Keep everything as loose fitting as possible until they are all on. Now cut your notches, preferably with a Dremel. If you have to use a hack saw it will require disassembly.

Hope this helps you out. Send me a pm if you need more details or run into trouble.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have a SH-37 case on my Wee Strom but it sounds as if you have a different model, or they changed the mounting plate since I got mine. Still, I'll describe what I did on the off chance you find it useful.

The mounting plate for my case is plastic and offers a number of places to put the bolts, so I was able to find four good spots that lined up with the openings in the luggage rack. I ditched the hardware that came with the case and used a small nylon cutting board (from Target, iirc) with two large holes (approx. 1.25") drilled in it to fit over the rack's mounting pylons (if that's the correct term for them) and hold it firmly in place beneath the rack. There wasn't enough room under the cutting board for standard nuts, so I used tee nuts inserted up through the bottom, and bolts long enough to get a good grip but not protrude through.

I hope this description is clear. This setup has worked very well for me. I have a backrest on my case and my passenger reports that it feels very sturdy.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, mine is the 37L with the plastic base. It does not look like the other one shown here. I'm not sure how I will go about attaching it yet.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you attach the adapter, and still get the screws under the adapter, on the rack screwed into the V strom?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh, I see.

I plan to get a Stainless Base Plate, and put spacers between it and the Strom rack. That is pretty much my only option.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the Shad 46, all Shad luggage not matter what the size uses the same case mounting plates, that consist of the plastic top and metal bottom, then they are screwed together.
For a better mounting I suggest getting a mounting plate from Shad that attaches to the suzuki rack, then attach the case mount rack to that.
Mine works excellent. And I change between the 37 and the 46 easily.

·
Registered
112 Posts

I found 3 good points, and used two tie downs for added security...that also has the benifit of me always having at least 2 tie downs.

poor pic of my bike taken with my phone

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the 48liter Shad. Remove the entrie rear rack, install the plate without removing the rubber and reinstall. Seems to work fine.

Cap

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
skipx,

I never got to see your pics. I just installed it, and I'm not happy with the fit of it. I would like to see your pics, could you repost or e mail them to me?

·
Premium Member
4,454 Posts
I have a Shad 46 topbox and am fairly satisfied with it. That being said, would I do it again ?? NO !! Too Much mucking about to install it. Also have the 43L side cases. Wouldn't have them as a gift next time round. The amount of grief and B.S. to install them is beyond compare. The mounting hardware is not well thought out and you need to remove the rear signals from their assigned position. The so-called matching bags don't match either. Each bag has it's own warp or gap where the half shells meet. And these are the replacements for the first really fu*ked up cases. Shoulda gone to Home Depot for bracket material and Rubber Maid containers. Sorry for the rant but this still galls me after a year and a half. Probably Givi next time.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts