StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Howdy Strommers!

Has anybody painted or plastidipped their rear rack?

If so please post pictures and any directions you feel will yield the best result.

The silver paint on my factory rack has worn pretty badly and I am considering plastidipping the rack matte black.

Thanks!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I sanded and painted mine... Couldn't find Krylon fusion in silver so I ended up using another brand and that claimed to adhere to plastic.... No good. The finish is awesome, but if I scratch hard with a fingernail it comes off. Still holding up better than the factory finish, but I will sand again and source out some Krylon.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I simply removed the paint from mine and that's it. Tried few techniques and eventually done it using paint thinner and my fingernails. Took me few hours and sore fingers. At the end, polished the plastic using polishing wheel for drilling machine and paint polisher liquid (for car paint finish). After all was done, I used shoeshine polish wax.
It is not perfect but now it can resist anything as there is no paint to scratch. Only if you come very close to the rack and carefully look at it you can see that there is no paint. Anything further the 30cm and it looks like it was painted satin black.
I've done this few weeks ago thinking about new model DL1000 I was going to purchase next September. New bike has black subframe and only silver piece is rear rack. So, silver rack from new bike is going on my actual '14 model to trade it in and actual black rack is going onto new bike.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Line-X it!

Instead of the plasti-dip, how about dropping it off at the Line-X or truck bed coating sprayer, probably wouldn't charge much while they are spraying a truck bed at same time? It'd be stronger and wouldn't scratch either. Just a thought

J

·
Registered
198 Posts
Howdy Strommers! ... The silver paint on my factory rack has worn pretty badly and I am considering plastidipping the rack matte black. Thanks!
Strominator, Suzuki is aware of 2014 models with paint issues on the rear rack. Suzuki replaced mine. If your rack is the original one have your dealer swap it. Than put some extra clear coat on it. - http://www.stromtrooper.com/3886202-post11.html

·
Registered
275 Posts
Strominator, Suzuki is aware of 2014 models with paint issues on the rear rack. Suzuki replaced mine. If your rack is the original one have your dealer swap it. Than put some extra clear coat on it. - http://www.stromtrooper.com/3886202-post11.html
I tried with mine, they said it was out of warranty. Still worth a shot though. Honestly I decided I'd rather paint mine then go through the hassle of leaving it with my local dealer and subjecting my bike to mistreatment lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts