StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Vstrom 650 DL bought used. Runs well and quietly and as wished, except around the 5000 RPM mark, doesn't matter what gear. Between around 5000-5100 RPM it starts to have a growl to it. Slower and higher RPMs sound disappears.

Has anyone else noticed a similar pattern? Thoughts?

Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I was worried it might be something internal. Crash bars make sense and if others have experienced, probably what I am hearing.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
You can damp it somewhat by adding some rubber into the connection between the left and right side sections where they join in front of the motor. My last set were Givi and they have a plug at the join between the two sides. I used plastic tape and rubber o-rings where the sections meet. It's not a cure so much as reducing the effect.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I replaced the metal joiner between my Givi halves with one of these. It is a 12mm garden hose joiner. A perfect fit.
That gives me something to look for in the local hardware store. There must be something similar available in the US.

·
Administrator
5,001 Posts
I would have thought that there would be something identical. It's a click on garden hose joiner. This one is made by Nylex, but there are Pope and Gardena as well. 13mm hose coupling.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I replaced the metal joiner between my Givi halves with one of these. It is a 12mm garden hose joiner. A perfect fit.
I like the idea if your skid plate does not attach to the cross member. If it does though you have no real structural support there. Right?

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a 2013 Vstrom 650 DL bought used. Runs well and quietly and as wished, except around the 5000 RPM mark, doesn't matter what gear. Between around 5000-5100 RPM it starts to have a growl to it. Slower and higher RPMs sound disappears. Has anyone else noticed a similar pattern? Thoughts? Thank you.
It may just be the crash bars that need tightening or damping or whatnot. However, if you can feel excess vibes in the seat, handle bars and foot pegs your motor my be out of balance. My 2014 DL650A that I bought in April of last year was always viby from new per the seller. It turned out the lower front throttle body was loose causing my Givi crash bars to vibrate like crazy right at 5100RPM.

Loose lower Throttle Body boot causing vibrations.

·
Administrator
5,001 Posts
I like the idea if your skid plate does not attach to the cross member. If it does though you have no real structural support there. Right?
I do not have a skid plate but usually they have two brackets or U-bolts connecting the plate to the bar, and those nylon couplings are quite strong.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts