StromTrooper banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I've hardwired a Garmin eTrex Legend before directly to 12v (using the voltage reducing circuitry).

I now have a Nuvi 265WT. It uses a USB mini-plug.

Can I just cut any old USB mini-plug cable I have lying around and make up a 12v charging cable? Any idea which wires are the + and - ?

Thanks all,

KRS

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
The bike is 12V and the GPS needs 5V. You need the cable for plugging into a vehicle that includes a voltage regulator. If you are using the old power supply, re for + and black for - is typical. Ribbed v. unribbed has too much variation. Test with a meter.

T

·
0 Posts
I bought the Garmin 12v wiring kit to hardwire my Nuvi250W. It has bare leads, a small "converter" box and the mini-USB plug. It's all about 6 feet long, plenty of length from the fuse box to my handlebars. Maybe cost $30 or so.

I've got limited access to electrical things here (no Radio Shack) so there may be a cheaper alternative, but the Garmin kit does indeed work!

I had trouble with the plug and the RAM mount so I dremeled some of the back of the mount away and epoxied a strip of elastic on to help hold the plug in. No vibration issues now on gravel roads.

Tom

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
Funny you should mention the RAM mount. I recently picked up a Nuvi 260 and bought a RAM mount straight away because RAM mount stuff is usually awesome. So I was surprised and a little disapointed that the plug wouldn't clear the holder. Dremel to the rescue as usual! Since I have a cig socket, I probably won't hardwire. I haven't used it on the bike yet, so I'm hoping it's glove-friendly. The Nuvi line isn't rated for moisture or vibration (read motorcycle use). I'll use it anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts