StromTrooper banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used tri-flo forever..mostly because it was recommend by a mechanic I trust, and It saves me from having to make a trip the local bike shop.

What do you guys use that isn't motorcycle specific and can be bought at either an auto parts store or hardware store?

·
Registered
267 Posts
I've used tri-flo forever..mostly because it was recommend by a mechanic I trust, and It saves me from having to make a trip the local bike shop.

What do you guys use that isn't motorcycle specific and can be bought at either an auto parts store or hardware store?
I just picked up both a spray can and squeeze bottle of this stuff at Lowe's in the tool world where they have the WD40. I am going to use the spray at home and the squeeze bottle to travel with as it is very small

DuPont Teflon DuPont? Motorcycle Products

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You can get Liquid Wrench Chain Lube at any hardware or auto parts store. I like it better than the dry lubes.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just picked up both a spray can and squeeze bottle of this stuff at Lowe's in the tool world where they have the WD40. I am going to use the spray at home and the squeeze bottle to travel with as it is very small

DuPont Teflon DuPont? Motorcycle Products
I've heard a lot of good things about this stuff. I always forget to look for it when I'm in Lowes. I'm all outta tri-flo so maybe i'll try this next.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I use the spray can version of DuPont Teflon Multi-Use Lubricant, picked up from my local Wal-Mart. WebBikeWorld rates it pretty highly
DuPont Teflon Chain Lube - webBikeWorld and I have been very satisfied with it.

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Dupont Chain Saver with Teflon. I order it online or pick it up at Walmart if I'm around one. Also there is a small 4 oz bottle non aerosol available as previously mentioned that is handy if you are on tour.

Inexpensive, widely available, doesn't attract dirt, doesn't fling off.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Another dupont teflon lube guy.

Works good lasts a good long time, doesn't get flung all over the place.

I can't even imagine the mess using ATF (not a very good lubricant anyway) would make. But I do like that you can get it at a drugstore in BFE.

·
Registered
469 Posts
do you get 45k on a chain ?
Not yet. I'm only up to 41k on my current setup. No I have not replaced the chain yet. I did replace some sprockets, but that was because I wanted to lower the gearing, and I did not replace the stock chain.

Most people replace chains far too soon because it makes them feel better. I call it prophylactic maintenance, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that if you have the money. OTOH, if you actually make the measurements on the chain "stretch" you can go a good long time on any chain, assuming you don't do anything stupid like washing it with solvents.

A modern o-ring chain doesn't live or die based on the lube we spray on the outside, just so long as it doesn't get in past the o-rings to the real lube, which is the grease on the inside. That is the real stuff that determines chain longevity.

Most people who kill their chains do it by trying to keep the outsides "clean" whatever that means.

If you think that squirting ATF on the outside is the reason you've had fantastic chain mileage, well I suggest that you knock yourself out and keep doing it. And cleaning all the crap off of all the parts of the bike that get the ATF flung at them. I'll choose something else, thank you.

Flame suit on.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Triflow is nice stuff (no idea if it's really the bawls for motorcycle chains, but I liked it fine on my bicycle, and it smells nice), but holy crap, that stuff gets expensive... :confused:

Count me in as another DuPont Teflon spray user. Mainly through cheapness and ease of use -- it comes out very thin, which tends to "wash" the gunk off the chain off a bit.

I think the cold hard truth of these endless chain lube debates is that it matters very little what you use as long as you do something.

I believe one of the stated advantages of the ATF is that the dirt and grit go with it when it flings off (so yeah, it's a bit messy), but I'm sure you can find more details with a simple search of the hundreds of identical threads...

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
small squirt bottle

Thus stuff is great. I get it in Canada at Lowes for about $4. One small squeeze bottle is better than a large pressurized can and will lasted me for liberal use on a 10,000km from Ontario to Colorado and back on my Vee. My chains and sprockets last about 45,000km Smaller to carry and simpler to use. If you have ever had a pressurized can dump itself in your top case you will understand.

DuPont Performance Lubricants Multi Use Lubricant with DuPont Teflon Fluoropolymer, 4 oz squeeze bottle (D00040101) Reviews
DuPont Performance Lubricants Multi Use Lubricant with DuPont Teflon Fluoropolymer, 4 oz squeeze bottle (D00040101)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I use the DuPont Teflon spray can. I used Tri-flow on my 79 Triumph Bonneville non-Oring chain. Tri-flow cost a bit more that the DuPont.

I have not tried the Dupont squeeze bottle yet. Is it easy to control the application rate?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts