StromTrooper banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else hardwired in your portable gps?

My GPS, eTrex Vista has a 12v cord that plugs into a power outlet. I have two cords. One is garmin brand and it stays in the outlet well. The other is off-brand and it's terrible.... always coming out. :weapons_73:

It got me to thinking... why not cut the cord, crack open the male plug, move the voltage reducing "stuff" up further on the cord, put the "stuff" encapsulated in a golf-ball-ish size blob of epoxy with a pigtail for power, shrink tube it, put it in the bike permanently with a fuse on the pigtails; and then conceal the GPS side of the cord while not in use? :confused:

I don't want to have to plug it in, unplug it, have it slip out..... . :weapons_73:

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
It will work fine as long as you are aware that the "Stuff" is necessary. I had my ETrex done that way before I got another GPS.

I just unsoldered the wires from the voltage regulator board into the cigarette lighter plug and added some new ones a couple of feet long. Wrapped the regulator board in electrical tape and hid it under the fairing where it would stay relatively dry. I only used it like that about 6 months or so but I never had any problems whatsoever.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I did it.

First I needed to make a little box to hold the voltage regulator board that is currently located inside the male end of the 12v GPS cable.

So... I found a motorola wall charger for an old cell phone. It's the rectangle wall charger with the fold-up plugs. I pryed it open, pulled it all out, and cleaned up the insides.

I took the gps charger plug and opened it up and took out the voltage regulator board.

I unsoldered all of the existing leads from the voltage regulator board.

On the power "in" side of the board, I soldered on new 10" pigtails.

On the power "out" side I resoldered the shortened thin leads that go the the GPS interface plug.

I then wrapped the voltage regulator board and newly soldered wires with 3M electrical tape.

I placed the regulator board into the modified motorola wall charger "box" that I made.

I taped that up nice and double side taped it up under the fairing.

Hooked up my newly installed power outlet to a relay to power it only when the tailight is on (key on) using Eastern Beaver's adapter.

I cut the power cable much shorter.

I then cut my + and - wires on my power outlet receptacle that I wired in a week or so ago and soldered in my 10" pigtails and remade the connection that I had just cut (basically I spliced my pigtails into the outlet receptacle wires.

Now my GPS cord is hardwired, I don't need to plug it in and have it fall out, I don't need to use either my GPS or my cell phone charger, and it's powered off when I turn the key off (thanks to the relay).

I works great.

All connections were soldered and shrink tube wrapped.

KRS

1 - 3 of 3 Posts