StromTrooper banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2012 Vstrom 650 and I want to mount my gps on it. what is the best way to wire it? I know I could probably go straight to the battery, but it would be nice if it were switched, so that I don't kill the battery if I forget to unplug it or remove it. All input is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
You can use a lighter socket to power accessories, although I think most of us install an aux fuse panel under the seat, in the cowl, or both places.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Two schools of thought I've read. Always hot - ya don't have the GPS turning off each time you turn the bike on. Then bike on, click GPS on, acquire satellites, ride.

vs

Ride, turn bike off, bike on - GPS is already on - ride.

If you don't have a habit of turning things off, switched may be the answer. If I stop for a pic, get gas, etc., I just prefer to have the GPS still on so there are less steps to leaving again.

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
As a first run, easy to do, switched with the ignition, already fused, etc. then use the existing heated grips plug (if it's similar to the 'early models').

If it is similar it's kind of hiding up on the engine side of the radiator.
Search the forum using the google search bar up there^^^^ for heated grip plug location.

That will give you a good idea on how to find it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
USB port for powering GPS?

Can your GPS be powered via a cable to a USB port? If so, consider mounting one of these USB ports on your bike. That is what I did for my GPS and it works great. I wired it in to be on all the time. The power draw when nothing is connected is very minimal. Otherwise wire it to a switched circuit.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can your GPS be powered via a cable to a USB port? If so, consider mounting one of these USB ports on your bike. That is what I did for my GPS and it works great. I wired it in to be on all the time. The power draw when nothing is connected is very minimal. Otherwise wire it to a switched circuit.

that is the coolest thing I have ever seen...I just ordered one...I have a garmin, so it will work just fine....thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I installed a Eastern Beaver 3-way circuit solution with 2 switched circuits. One of the switched circuits went to an accessory plug on the left upper plastic. I then used an eastern Beaver 2nd socket splitter kit (Power Socket Wiring Kits for Motorcycles, cheap worldwide shipping., about 1/2 way down ) to add power to the Garmin Nuvi mini-usb (Powerlet Adaptors, cheap Worldwide Shipping) cable. This means that the wiring is switched and it will prompt you if you want to turn off the GPS when you stop. I had Jim make up all of the wiring with the appropriate plugs, again great service. I have a Nuvi 500 that has a battery good for up to 8 hours, so I don't mind leaving it powered up over lunch, but when I park for the day, it defaults to turning off in 2 minutes.

If your GPS is a Nuvi model, remember that it needs an adapter to use a regular usb cable. I found the wiring differences, but there is a resistor between a couple of pins on the Garmin plug. The GPS wiring kit has tha correct adapter.

I can try and get a couple of pictures tomorrow if anyone need them.

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
I got a cigarette lighter socket part of a power divider set up.

I used the standard cable plugged it in and the taped it sealed.

I have moved it to fused allways hot. I found some problems with following programmed routes if my garmin got shut off with the bike.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I've got a TomTom rider2 powered by a switched lighter socket. When I start the bike the GPS senses the new power and comes on by itself. If I stop for gas and turn off the bike the GPS switches to its internal battery. I have to manually turn off the GPS if I need it off.

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
always on

it's nice to have the gps wired so that it stays on all day when on a long trip. I've forgotten and have left my Zumo 550 on occasionally over night and had no problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've got a TomTom rider2 powered by a switched lighter socket. When I start the bike the GPS senses the new power and comes on by itself. If I stop for gas and turn off the bike the GPS switches to its internal battery. I have to manually turn off the GPS if I need it off.
My Garmin Nuvi 500 does the same thing and has the same setup (switched lighter socket). Works great for me as that GPS has a 4 hour battery life, plus I don't need an always-on socket as I always take the gps off if I walk away from the bike.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you want "plug and play", and want it switched, here's an easy way to obtain power for a GPS or any low draw unit. Buy this headlight extension cable:

And wire it like this:

Remove headlight plug from back of headlight and put this extension in line with the original cable. No cutting and you can move from bike to bike. I've done this on my last three bikes. Works on low beam only, but that's what I use all the time, anyway.

·
Registered
190 Posts
OK, that's kewl. An in-depth 45 second Google search didn't come up with anything, so where did you get it?

Glenn

If you want "plug and play", and want it switched, here's an easy way to obtain power for a GPS or any low draw unit. Buy this headlight extension cable:

And wire it like this:

Remove headlight plug from back of headlight and put this extension in line with the original cable. No cutting and you can move from bike to bike. I've done this on my last three bikes. Works on low beam only, but that's what I use all the time, anyway.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
fuse panel

anyone recommend a fuse box for the bike. i just bought a vstrom and not sure where to buy a panel or where to put it
thanks
mark

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have a Blue Sea but thinking of changing out to a Fuzeblock because I can choose switched or non-switched merely by moving a fuze.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I mounted a 12v socket under the seat on the side of the cargo area. I just plugged in the power cord that caame with the unit from the factory and ran it inconspicuosly under the tank up to the GPS . The power cord is the perfect length(Garmin). It's always hot and i leave it plugged in always but manually turn the GPS off at the end of the day. Also, in an emergency, I can unplug my GPS and plug in my small air compressor. Tow birds, one stone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts